Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Brad Groves (4quietwoods) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Michigan
About Me Mostly longer trips without resupply, in what usually seems to be cold and wet conditions. Over two decades of backcountry travel including backpacking and canoe tripping. I consider Marquette to be my home, but I currently live down-state. Many years as a buyer in specialty outdoor retail.
My PDF Gear Listalways changing

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Brad Groves

Showing 1501 - 1510 of 1559 | Page: 1 ...137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156

Forum » Thread

Textiles Research
I would still very much like to create various pieces of gear from natural fibers or at least bio-based synthetics. Being new to the game, though, I have absolutely no idea who to talk to or where ...

In Make Your Own Gear » Textiles Research
July 25, 9:31am

Nylon Dry Sacks
I can pretty much plan on a drenching when I head out on a trip. The system that works best for me is to use a couple of dry sacks. If you're working on a 5-pound list, it's probably not th...

In Philosophy & Technique » Pack liner vs. Pack cover
July 25, 9:02am

Re: Re: sample quilt
Hi, Bill- I got the silk from Thai Silks online, 8mm Habotai. After crushing the samples in my hands several times, I'd end up with 5+ 800FP down clusters wedging their way out...

In Make Your Own Gear » Cuban quilt...it's gotta be done
July 25, 8:52am

silk no go...
Hi, all- Just an update on this project. I sewed up a tiny pillow of the 8mm Habotai silk w/the 800FP Thru-Hiker down, and it's just not gonna work. I lost more down out of that tiny pillow in...

In Make Your Own Gear » Silk sleeping bag?
July 23, 2:43pm

sample quilt
Allison- Keep us posted on your mini sample quilt, eh? I just did a trial run with the 8mm silk bag I was hoping to do, and it just won't work for me. So hey, maybe cuben's the way to go!

In Make Your Own Gear » Cuban quilt...it's gotta be done
July 23, 2:13pm

Loose and covered
I store everything from sleeping bags to tentage in (extra) large cotton laundry sacks. The cotton keeps off dust, allows air circulation. I like using the sacks because then I have a bit more vers...

In Philosophy & Technique » Gear storage
July 21, 7:20pm

Evernew, indeed
Allison's right on top of it again! Evernew was the first thing I thought of, too. Pretty reasonable weights/prices given the size of the pots. Just thinking "out loud" here, could yo...

In GEAR » 6 L / Qt Aluminum pot
July 21, 7:03pm

no questions
the western is far, far superior. because it is such a great bag, ultimately it will also be more versatile than the other two bags, IMHO.

In GEAR » EMS mountainlight 20/0 f versus WM versalite
July 18, 9:05am

Kestrels
Hey gang- In the "for what it's worth" category, I grabbed one of the Kestrel 48s for myself as soon as they came out. All things considered, it's a heck of a nice pack for the pr...

In GEAR » Pack suggestion
July 18, 8:36am

Sleeves
Roger, yeah! Pole sleeves tend to get such a bad rap here, for some reason. But I'd rather have them than clips any ole day...

In GEAR » 4 season tent??
July 18, 8:29am

All Reader Reviews by Brad Groves

Brad Groves has posted no reviews.