BPL Community Profile

Vick Hines (vickrhines) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Central Texas
About Me 2X AT thruhiker
Author of How to Make Your Own Lightweight Camping and Hiking Gear
Builder of solo canoes
Compulsive builder of yondering gear of all kinds.
CityAustin
StateTexas
CountryUnited States

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Vick Hines

Showing 151 - 160 of 1034 | Page: 1 ...7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ...104

Forum » Thread

Pack cover problems- a solution
I got tired of pack covers blowing off or blowing around loosely and buckles that gouged my back. I added straps that wrap around the pack to the front and buckle there. The straps hold the cov...

In Make Your Own Gear » Pack cover problems- a solution
January 19, 1:06pm

Re: GoLite Shoes
Golite shoes made their reputation early on as the absolutely least durable shoe ever made. In 07, I wore out two pairs in 140 miles. That is, each pair lasted 70 miles before the fabric of the up...

In GEAR » GoLite Shoes
January 17, 9:02am

Re: Re: rain fly
This thread on materials sourcing will tell you where to find just about everything you need: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/xdpy/forum_thread/1740/index.html

In Make Your Own Gear » rain fly
January 15, 4:08pm

Re: Re: Re: Gore-Tex Shoe Tear: Repairable?
McNett's Seam Grip is just a thin version of Shoe Goo and Goop. It will penetrate the fabric better and it ought to fix the tear permanently. Be SURE to clean the fabric thoroughly with alcoh...

In GEAR » Gore-Tex Shoe Tear: Repairable?
January 02, 4:52pm

kit gun?
Sharp eyes, fast brain, fast tongue, fast feet will keep you out of trouble in the vanishingly rare case where you are actually in danger.

In Chaff » Does your kit include a gun?
December 21, 12:34pm

Re: Gotta love the BPL forum...
Tom, Tensioners do more than keep the tent/tarp from sagging; they protect the tent and all its components from wind shock.

In GEAR » Thera-Band tensioners: how to make 'em?
December 20, 4:18pm

about a million different ways
There are about a million ways to make elastic tensioners. The simplest is a loop of small elastic cord like waist drawstring or 1/2" elastic. I use pieces 12 to 14 inches long, tie the ends ...

In GEAR » Thera-Band tensioners: how to make 'em?
December 20, 11:46am

Re: Alcohol fuel bottles - show me yours!
1. Take care to get a completely leakproof top. See BPL's screw closure tops. 2. Consider a small Platypus which will conform to the shape of the pot. If you can find a "Little Nipper&...

In GEAR » Alcohol fuel bottles - show me yours!
December 19, 6:40pm

Re: A lightweight case for my glasses?
Do you want a hard case or soft? If soft will do, a simple sleeve of bargain bin fleece made 3-4 inches longer than the folded glasses is a simple reasonably protective holder. Don't mess with...

In GEAR » A lightweight case for my glasses?
December 15, 5:23pm

Re: Gaiters for 3-season backpacking: Go or no?
It depends on terrain, vegetation, water (in all its forms)as well as your activities. I like them when wearing low-cut running shoes. They keep debris (pebbles and twigs) from getting into the sho...

In GEAR » Gaiters for 3-season backpacking: Go or no?
December 15, 5:10pm

All Reader Reviews by Vick Hines

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Nike Free Trail 5.0
Summary: A light moccasin with a good sole and no heel counter. The shoe encourages full use of foot and ankle, improves balance and control, and strengthens the foot and ankle. The low profile sole r...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
May 12, 4:17pm

Golite Trail Fly and Tail Spike
Two pairs of Golite shoes self-destructed within 70 miles on the AT. The first pair (Trail Fly) failed after 66 miles. The fake ripstop fabric over the toe section cracked with repeated flexing (an...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
May 08, 8:16pm