Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Tom Lyons (towaly) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Smoky Mtns.
About Me Likes the outdoors.
StateTN
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Tom Lyons

Showing 151 - 160 of 299 | Page: 1 ...7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ...30

Forum » Thread

KAI
KAI is the parent company of Kershaw. That knife is from their line of kitchen knives.

In GEAR » Decent $7 Fixed Blade Gourmet Backpacking Food Prep Knife - Photo-verview
September 15, 7:43pm

Thanks, good suggestion.
Since I don't use trekking poles, I didn't really think of that option. But now that you mention it, it actually might be a pretty good idea. I'll look into that. Thanks!

In GEAR » Pole for SMD Gatewood Cape
September 15, 3:13pm

Re: Where's a fellow buy groundsheet-weight Tyvek?
You can buy small sections of tyvek pre-cut to a reasonable size on Ebay. You can then cut it to the exact dimensions you want. It comes in big rolls for houses, so some people on Ebay cut it int...

In GEAR » Groundsheet Space Blanket, Polycryo not tuff enuff
September 15, 1:28pm

Tyvek
Tyvek is pretty tough stuff in resisting tears. It's probably not perfectly waterproof for long term deluges, but it's not bad.

In GEAR » Groundsheet Space Blanket, Polycryo not tuff enuff
September 15, 12:22pm

Pole for SMD Gatewood Cape
I am currently using an old aluminum multi-piece pole on my SMD GC. For obvious reasons of brand synergy, I am leaning toward the SMD 3-piece carbon fiber Easton pole with shock cords that they pu...

In GEAR » Pole for SMD Gatewood Cape
September 15, 8:27am

Conditions
It's all about conditions. And of course, how people want to deal with the conditiions. In many of the cases here on BPL, I suspect that there are two main reasons for not using bivvies. ...

In GEAR » Why no bivy love?
September 15, 7:34am

re
I'm gonna say it would be better than not having it. I don't know exactly how much, but it would do something. You'd have to try it.

In GEAR » Neoair Trekker plus mylar/space blanket
September 14, 5:54pm

pre-filter on the way in
IMO, it might be a preferable method to pre-filter the dirty water on the way IN to the dirty water bag instead. If you use a make-shift cone or funnel, you can stretch your fine pre-filter mesh...

In GEAR » Sawyer Squeeze Filter Tips
September 14, 2:55pm

VBL clothing
It is possible to get VBL clothing items that can go under your down jacket and down pants if you want to do that. If you buy the stuff from the pro-makers of VBL clothing, it's going to cost ...

In SuperUltraLight (SUL) Backpacking Discussion » VBL adds how much to my quilt?
September 14, 9:05am

It can work.
Many will rightly say that carrying two fabric carcasses will automatically weigh more than carrying one fabric carcass with sufficient insulation for the temps. However, if your individual circ...

In GEAR » 3 Season Bag plus Quilt for Winter Use?
September 13, 4:29pm

All Reader Reviews by Tom Lyons

Tom Lyons has posted no reviews.