Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Scott S (sschloss1) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale New England
About Me Scott S has not added a biography yet.

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Scott S

Showing 151 - 160 of 485 | Page: 1 ...7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ...49

Forum » Thread

Not Anonymous
From what I saw, it wasn't Anonymous (the hacker collective) that did this--just some single guy who used "Anonymous" in his name. Obviously, that doesn't change anything for you...

In Chaff » Anonymous has taken down my Website
September 10, 3:26pm

Hawk
Now that I look at the pics more closely, I'm pretty sure it's a young Cooper's Hawk (the slightly larger cousin of sharp-shinned). In any event, it's not a merlin or any kind of f...

In Chaff » What killed this hawk?
September 06, 9:19pm

It's a sharp-shinned hawk
And there's no telling what killed it. I don't see any obvious signs of injury--if it's collided with something, there's usually a noticeably broken neck. It could've been poi...

In Chaff » What killed this hawk?
September 06, 7:51pm

Wool on the PCT
Wool may be stink-free (or not), but it won't keep the mosquitoes off of you. If you're okay with wearing extra layers on 90-degree days in northern California or spraying yourself head-to...

In GEAR » Merino vs. Synthetic for a Thru
September 04, 11:13am

Nylon
I wore a long-sleeved nylon shirt on the PCT, and I'll be wearing the same on the CDT. Nylon does not get particularly smelly (I went 10+ days between washings a few times, and the smell was t...

In GEAR » Merino vs. Synthetic for a Thru
September 03, 5:01pm

Homeless
My girlfriend is a social worker who works with homeless people. Among the folks she works with, there is always a need for backpacking-type equipment, especially tents, sleeping bags, backpacks, ...

In GEAR » Selling / donating older gear?
August 30, 8:00pm

PCT Thru Hike Clothing
I thru-hiked in 09. I had a Houdini and a rain jacket and would bring both again. Getting sweaty under your rain jacket sucks, and the Houdini is amazingly breathable--I wore mine all the time on...

In Gear Lists » PCT Thru Hike Clothing
August 30, 2:55pm

Permethrin is mostly useless for mosquitoes
I work in the field during the summer, so I'm exposed to loads of mosquitoes every day. We also have lots of ticks in my area, so I treat my clothes (long-sleeve nylon shirt and pants) with pe...

In GEAR » How do you survive the bugs?
August 20, 3:50am

PCT Thru Hike Sleeping Bag
I used a WM Summerlite (rated to 32 degrees) on my thru and would do so again. I had a bivy sack and silk liner which added a bit of warmth, and I slept in my Thermawrap a lot of nights. But I ca...

In GEAR » PCT Thru Hike Sleeping Bag
August 07, 5:09pm

Cat can stove with Trek 900 or MSR Kettle
I've used my supercat stove with a Titan Kettle for over 100 nights with no problems. I think that the stove is a bit more efficient with a wider pot, but it certainly works.

In GEAR » Cat can stove with Trek 900 or MSR Kettle
August 07, 1:37pm

All Reader Reviews by Scott S

Showing 1 - 1 of 1 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Mountain Laurel Design FS exodus
I used an Exodus FS for my 5-month CDT thru-hike. The pack was, by far, my least favorite piece of gear. What I didn't like: - The pack squeaked loudly and persistently, with almost every ste...

In Backpacks - Internal Frame
December 23, 5:07pm