Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Samuel C. Farrington (scfhome) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale Chocorua NH, USA
About Me Samuel C. Farrington has not added a biography yet.

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Samuel C. Farrington

Showing 151 - 160 of 1608 | Page: 1 ...7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ...161

Forum » Thread

TeePee
Justin, Agree with Jerry. First get ahold of a Tipi pattern with catenary cut panels. You can use the catenary chart, buried in BPL somewhere, but nothing beats a pattern. I've even bought d...

In Make Your Own Gear » Just curious, re: Cubic tech and cuben fiber
December 12, 5:32pm

Waist belts - to make or not to make
Thanks again, Daryl. And thank you David O. for the silnylon slider idea. Might never have thought of that. Jerry, you must have a pretty good machine. Mine would never sew through a thick f...

In Make Your Own Gear » $7 Waist Belt
December 11, 7:48pm

Insignia cloth
Thanks, Daryl. What happens when you cut up that cloth - doesn't it create a raw edge than can unravel? I've seen insignia tapes that I assume have finished edges, but not sure about the ...

December 10, 11:24pm

Soulo copy
Ivo, Beautiful job! Did not see your original post - missed it. Looks like you have got the tent almost finished, so most of your questions you have answered yourself. Does your tent have an...

In Make Your Own Gear » Wintertent (Soulo copy): I need your thoughts
December 10, 11:12pm

PLB Puchase
There was a thread in August about the Rescue Me, but not too much info there. Being smaller and lighter, with longer claimed battery life, and some nice features, is there a reason it's not b...

In GEAR » Final questions for a PLB purchase
December 10, 10:20pm

NE Traverse
John, Nice route you have there from the Big Apple to Quebec as directly as possible, yet fairly forested and remote as well. It is fun to plan out long routes, and then hike them whenever you c...

In Editor's Roundtable » New England Traverse: Discovering a Wilderness Route
December 10, 9:56pm

Uncle
Justin, What kind of Cuben are you looking for, and how much? I might have something you can use.

In Make Your Own Gear » Just curious, re: Cubic tech and cuben fiber
December 07, 6:16pm

$7 waist belt
Nice find, Daryl. No luck here, either, with sewing foam. Sometimes, if the foam is already sewn, sandwiched between two layer of fabric, by an industrial machine, I can get away with sewing over...

December 07, 6:12pm

physics
Franco, If you mean applying force directly to the end of the carbon strut, and thus along its length as in your photo, OK. Indeed, an acrobat could probably stand balanced on the tops of the str...

In GEAR » SCARP 2 winter mods photos
December 05, 4:56pm

Thanks
Thanks for taking the extra time, Jim. Finally got it. Unfortunately, the old twist-locks I have eventually slip (length shortens) when I lean on them too heavily, no matter how tightly they ar...

In GEAR » Fizan Concept trekking pole locking system - a rival to flicklocks?
December 05, 3:56pm

All Reader Reviews by Samuel C. Farrington

Showing 1 - 10 of 10 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Marmot Rockstar Pant
These pants were purchased after trying a number of DWR, quick drying polyester and nylon products in search of lighter weight. However, all were very baggy, and none met the secondary goal of having ...

In Clothing - Wind & Soft Shell
May 12, 10:51pm

Mont Bell Ultra-Light Spiral Down Hugger #3 Long
Bought this shortly after the BPL review came out. It was my first down bag since the 70's. The outstanding DWR treatment shown in the review persuaded me that a down bag might work for me agai...

In Sleeping Bags - Mummy & Other
November 25, 8:09pm

Potable Aqua Iodine Drinking Water Germicidal Tablets
It is a good emergency item, because, as already pointed out, it takes up almost no weight or space. It addresses both the crypto and giardia if one waits the recommended times. Should the main wa...

In Hydration - Water Treatment
July 05, 11:13pm

Sealskinz Ultra Grip Black Glove
Tried them a few years ago for winter snowshoeing, which involved a lot of bushwacking. Clammy, wet, cold and eventually, frozen fingers. Just about anything else is better, even just leather. Am su...

In Clothing - Headwear, Handwear
January 07, 11:14pm

Montbell Super Stretch Down Hugger #3
Used the reg (not super) version of this bag for three weeks; one on Maine's Grafton Loop Trail in June at altitudes up to 3K', and two in Colorado's Rawahs in August at altitudes up to 12...

In Sleeping Bags - Mummy & Other
January 06, 11:10pm

Cocoon UL 60 Hoody and Pant
I have not had any problems with the stitching, and have found the product to be reasonably warm for its very light weight. Pockets might have been nice for handwarming, but if it is really cold, I c...

In Clothing - Insulating - Synthetic (Polarguard, Primaloft, etc.)
October 07, 12:06am

Lorpen Trekking Extreme Coolmax Socks
For anyone allergic to wool, or just looking for a fine coolmax sock, these are a good choice - 75% Coolmax, 15% Polyamide, 10% Lycra. Weight is 4.4 oz a pair in size Medium. They are a medium to he...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
August 25, 8:26pm

Remington RMHL2AAA-B
While I have always used hang lights in camp instead of headlamps, ordered this item because of Keith's excellent review. Was pleased to note that the beam was as bright and more even than the Ph...

In Lights - Flashlights & Headlamps
January 14, 8:34pm

MSR Mountain Safety Research HyperFlow microfilter
My understanding from this and other sites is that this filter is not effective after thawing once the element has been frozen. If this is not so, it would be helpful to have this corrected. Otherwi...

In Hydration - Water Treatment
March 01, 4:44pm

SnowPeak Gigapower LI
The only drawback for this stove was the lack of a windscreen, such that it did not perform efficiently in windy conditions. The manufacturer's screen sold separately is stainless steel, and on th...

In Stoves - Canister
November 15, 12:39am