BPL Community Profile

Samuel C. Farrington (scfhome) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale Chocorua NH, USA
About Me Samuel C. Farrington has not added a biography yet.

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Samuel C. Farrington

Showing 151 - 160 of 1551 | Page: 1 ...7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ...156

Forum » Thread

knee braces
Jennifer and friends, I seem to detect something like anger, maybe bitterness, in your posts. A little counter-intuitive, because it's the patients not the treaters who do the suffering. F...

In GEAR » Knee braces while hiking
November 13, 7:46pm

knee braces
Did not work for me either. Do use a small stretchy sleeve called "Healing Tree" that is much less invasive than a brace. Honestly don't know if it helps or not. A few things not ...

In GEAR » Knee braces while hiking
November 13, 4:43pm

disingenuous haters
Greg, your distinction escapes me. Must have left academia too soon. Saved me a lot of money, though. But maybe we'll get some ingenuous info from Richard when he has time for testing. Alas,...

In GEAR » Zpacks Waterproof Breathable Event Jacket
November 11, 6:59pm

tent fabric
John, Silcoated and PUcoated are different. For PU coated, there are restorative treatments like Tent Sure by McNett. If you try to coat PU coated fabric with silicone, I think you will be disap...

In GEAR » GoLite's 15D Tent Fabric
November 11, 6:32pm

cow water
When Killington VT ski area started filtering its sewerage to provide water for its snowmaking machines, people said, "Killington - where the affluent meet the effluent."

In GEAR » Sawyer Filter for Cow Water ?
November 11, 6:12pm

chair
If anyone wants to build one, please feel welcome to PM me with questions about the thread. Will respond promptly and as fully as possible. Best wishes.

In Make Your Own Gear » X-C Ski Pole Tube Chair
November 11, 6:03pm

more poles
The BPL article that came up on search did not include the lighter adjustable ones often talked about here. http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/trekking_poles_review_summary_a...

In GEAR » Why does no one talk about these poles?
November 10, 9:01pm

Fastenal
Live and learn. There are sharks in the water!

In Make Your Own Gear » Hysol at retail stores?
November 10, 8:15pm

Chair
Thank you for your comments. Looked at several brands on the web. They are all heavier, all have legs projecting down from a central hub or hubs underneath the seat, and all have testimony to man...

In Make Your Own Gear » X-C Ski Pole Tube Chair
November 10, 8:11pm

Concept
Justin, You've got to have diagrams or photos of models for this type of thread. The ones without the diagrams etc., are worse than Dante's descent into He**.

In Make Your Own Gear » Concept Idea for cheap, UL, ultra waterproof, double walled Pyramid type shelter, some questions
November 10, 7:51pm

All Reader Reviews by Samuel C. Farrington

Showing 1 - 10 of 10 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Marmot Rockstar Pant
These pants were purchased after trying a number of DWR, quick drying polyester and nylon products in search of lighter weight. However, all were very baggy, and none met the secondary goal of having ...

In Clothing - Wind & Soft Shell
May 12, 10:51pm

Mont Bell Ultra-Light Spiral Down Hugger #3 Long
Bought this shortly after the BPL review came out. It was my first down bag since the 70's. The outstanding DWR treatment shown in the review persuaded me that a down bag might work for me agai...

In Sleeping Bags - Mummy & Other
November 25, 8:09pm

Potable Aqua Iodine Drinking Water Germicidal Tablets
It is a good emergency item, because, as already pointed out, it takes up almost no weight or space. It addresses both the crypto and giardia if one waits the recommended times. Should the main wa...

In Hydration - Water Treatment
July 05, 11:13pm

Sealskinz Ultra Grip Black Glove
Tried them a few years ago for winter snowshoeing, which involved a lot of bushwacking. Clammy, wet, cold and eventually, frozen fingers. Just about anything else is better, even just leather. Am su...

In Clothing - Headwear, Handwear
January 07, 11:14pm

Montbell Super Stretch Down Hugger #3
Used the reg (not super) version of this bag for three weeks; one on Maine's Grafton Loop Trail in June at altitudes up to 3K', and two in Colorado's Rawahs in August at altitudes up to 12...

In Sleeping Bags - Mummy & Other
January 06, 11:10pm

Cocoon UL 60 Hoody and Pant
I have not had any problems with the stitching, and have found the product to be reasonably warm for its very light weight. Pockets might have been nice for handwarming, but if it is really cold, I c...

In Clothing - Insulating - Synthetic (Polarguard, Primaloft, etc.)
October 07, 12:06am

Lorpen Trekking Extreme Coolmax Socks
For anyone allergic to wool, or just looking for a fine coolmax sock, these are a good choice - 75% Coolmax, 15% Polyamide, 10% Lycra. Weight is 4.4 oz a pair in size Medium. They are a medium to he...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
August 25, 8:26pm

Remington RMHL2AAA-B
While I have always used hang lights in camp instead of headlamps, ordered this item because of Keith's excellent review. Was pleased to note that the beam was as bright and more even than the Ph...

In Lights - Flashlights & Headlamps
January 14, 8:34pm

MSR Mountain Safety Research HyperFlow microfilter
My understanding from this and other sites is that this filter is not effective after thawing once the element has been frozen. If this is not so, it would be helpful to have this corrected. Otherwi...

In Hydration - Water Treatment
March 01, 4:44pm

SnowPeak Gigapower LI
The only drawback for this stove was the lack of a windscreen, such that it did not perform efficiently in windy conditions. The manufacturer's screen sold separately is stainless steel, and on th...

In Stoves - Canister
November 15, 12:39am