BPL Community Profile

Piper S. (sbhikes) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Santa Barbara (Name: Diane)
About Me I hiked 3000 miles of the PCT over 2008 and 2009, about half the trail each time. I now hike in the backcountry of Santa Barbara and Ventura counties. I'm a Trail Ambassador for Gossamer Gear.
CitySanta Barbara
StateCA
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://santabarbarahikes.com
My PDF Gear ListPiper's Gear

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Piper S.

Showing 151 - 160 of 1312 | Page: 1 ...7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ...132

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: Re: Did see some UL on the JMT
I did a section on the JMT a couple years ago with a small pack (compared to the norm) and I had a ranger comment to me with suspicion that my pack looked too small to contain a bear canister. I of...

In Philosophy & Technique » Current conversations with JMT hikers
September 09, 12:57pm

Re: RE: How Much Extra Food? If Any
It almost always works out that I've brought too much food so I never actually plan to do it. On my last trip, I actually mis-counted the number of meals to put in my pack and did have to kind ...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » How Much Extra Food? If Any?
August 27, 3:07pm

Re: Favorite spoon
Right now I am using the short-handled titanium spoon. I don't eat out of bags so don't need the long handle. I don't mind that the bowl is smallish. I like the flattened end to the spo...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Spoon heresy
August 27, 2:49pm

Re: .
In my case, I had a tub of miso in the fridge and no soy sauce packets and was hours from leaving on a trip. Just enough time to dehydrate it. It actually worked well, but takes more miso than I ex...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Dehydrating Soy Sauce?
August 27, 2:40pm

Re: Search and rescue crews warn about online-based groups
I have found that since I began leading Sierra Club hikes about 15 years ago the general fitness level of the average person has drastically declined. It has gotten to the point that I will lead on...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Search and rescue crews warn about online-based groups
August 26, 8:25pm

Re: Where Did Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner Go?
I just did a trip where we ate just breakfast, lunch and dinner, not a lot of snacking. This was because we had to hang our food in camp so even if we had a short day, our food was out of reach. If...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Where Did Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner Go?
August 26, 8:11pm

Re: in defense of fresh foods?
You know, eating is probably one of the biggest pleasures on a backpack trip so I figure that saving weight on the gear leaves you more room for better food and for musical instruments or cameras.

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » in defense of fresh foods?
August 26, 7:45pm

Re: cook/no cook weight difference
I'm not sure the weight difference, but for my no-cook trip my kitchen was a plastic screw-top jar, a plastic "cup" made from the bottom of a plastic jar, a plastic peanut butter jar ...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » cook/no cook weight difference
August 26, 7:42pm

Re: Re: Dehydrating Soy Sauce?
Well, so far I can tell you that miso does dehydrate. Overnight it turns into a soft leathery mass, even the stuff I made mixed with ginger, garlic and soy sauce. It smells good so I'm pretty s...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Dehydrating Soy Sauce?
August 09, 7:32am

Re: 'Trail names'
I have a hiking friend who for the longest time I didn't even know his real name. I don't know where he got the name. He's so weird that his trail name suits him more than his boring re...

In Philosophy & Technique » 'Trail names'
August 08, 7:46pm

All Reader Reviews by Piper S.

Piper S. has posted no reviews.