BPL Community Profile

Piper S. (sbhikes) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Santa Barbara (Name: Diane)
About Me I hiked 3000 miles of the PCT over 2008 and 2009, about half the trail each time. I now hike in the backcountry of Santa Barbara and Ventura counties. I'm a Trail Ambassador for Gossamer Gear.
CitySanta Barbara
StateCA
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://santabarbarahikes.com
My PDF Gear ListPiper's Gear

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Piper S.

Showing 151 - 160 of 1217 | Page: 1 ...7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ...122

Forum » Thread

Re: salt
I used to get a lot of edema and inflammation when I hiked. I don't anymore and I consume even more salt now than I ever have in the past. What has changed is I don't eat as much packaged a...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Weight gain on backpacking trip
May 17, 5:37pm

How long might some of these things last?
How long do you think some of these items might last in your backpack in conditions of 50-ish nights and 80-ish days? 1. Pre-cooked real bacon that I cooked myself (not the shelf-stable crumbles...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » How long might some of these things last?
May 17, 5:33pm

Re: USA Supermarket resupply; what do you buy?
One strategy I employed while hiking the PCT was to drift a box with specialty items that I knew I would never be able to find in a grocery store, things I had to mail order special, freeze-dried f...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » USA Supermarket resupply; what do you buy?
April 26, 5:46pm

Re: How Do I Heal a Chronic Achilles Issue ?
Look up eccentric heel raises. Often Achilles issues are calf muscle issues.

In Philosophy & Technique » How Do I Heal a Chronic Achilles Issue ?
April 19, 11:04am

Re: Piper's Fashions
Well, the story is that it had poured rain the day before, my cheap poncho had failed miserably and all my clothes were still soaking wet in the morning. I was freezing and this was what I had on h...

In Philosophy & Technique » How you look when you go backpacking...
April 19, 10:57am

Re: tough to hit all the criteria
Well, you can fish Deep Creek and Silverwood Lake. I'm not sure if you can keep what you fish in Deep Creek. I think it's steelhead. But yeah, not much in the way of lakes for fishing on th...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » got a month on the pct.. where's the best stretch of trail?
April 19, 10:53am

Re: Re: "healthiest backpacking breakfast?"
I've had really good luck with pemmican for breakfast. I get no hunger for many hours, even doing trail maintenance. Another bar for lunch and I'm good to go until dinner. I purchased the p...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » healthiest backpacking breakfast?
April 19, 10:48am

Re: How you look when you go backpacking...
Here are some new fashions for me.

In Philosophy & Technique » How you look when you go backpacking...
April 13, 7:43pm

Feet deformed by boots
Look at his feet, not at the maceration, but at the deformity, how his toes have literally been reshaped to the shape of a shoe not a foot. This is why I don't wear boots and prefer sandals or ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Feet deformed by boots
April 12, 7:13pm

Re: REI experience...
I haven't been impressed by the shoe people at REI either. I went to the REI in Seattle when I was hiking the PCT. I told the guy I wanted mesh trail runners, no goretex, no boots. He brought m...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Interesting Shoe Buying Experience -- REI vs Sports Chalet
April 12, 7:06pm

All Reader Reviews by Piper S.

Piper S. has posted no reviews.