Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Russell Swanson (rswanson) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Midatlantic
About Me Russell Swanson has not added a biography yet.

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Russell Swanson

Showing 151 - 160 of 547 | Page: 1 ...7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ...55

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: MB vs WM
Rick makes an excellent point about down distribution in bag with variable girth, such as the Mont Bell bags. If the loft of a bag is X at a girth of Y, how can the loft be the same when the girth...

In GEAR » Mont Bell vs. Western Mountaineering
October 02, 1:00pm

Re: Edward Abbey- Desert Solitaire
Sam said- "Abbey references this in The Monkey Wrench Gang as his alter-ego character George Hayduke does this a lot." I feel robbed! The story is most likely a complete a complete lo...

In Chaff » Edward Abbey- Desert Solitaire
October 02, 8:26am

All you need to know about Edward Abbey
On a kayaking tour a year or so ago our guide told us a story related to him by a friend that hung out with Ed Abbey once in a while. Supposedly, they were once trundling down some unnamed dirt ro...

In Chaff » Edward Abbey- Desert Solitaire
September 30, 10:19am

Re: Re: Lightest Long Sleeve Zip Top
I don't own one but I have handled one of these and it feels very light and breathable- Patagonia Arius. I can't confirm but Paty lists it at 5.6 oz, I assume for men's size large. h...

In GEAR » Lightest Long Sleeve Zip Top?
September 26, 6:51pm

Re: thanks
Paul Smith posted- 'Dance around the rhetoric all you want, we all know that the difference here is the implied use of the gear. I am glad he deleted it, I don't need to be reminded of the ...

In Gear Deals » Huge sale on Propper Tactical Clothing
September 09, 7:19am

Unnecessary moderation
Obviously there are some people here who are interested in possibly acquiring some of Propper's goods for use under certain conditions. The company even sells products such as base layers, ins...

In Gear Deals » Huge sale on Propper Tactical Clothing
September 09, 7:05am

Re: Alternate route from JMT to fresno
There is a 70+ mile route from Mt. Whitney to the western edge of Sequoia National Park called the High Sierra Trail (not to be confused with the Sierra High Route) but I'm not sure hiking anot...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » 09 JMT thru hike
September 08, 7:15pm

Re: JMT Logistics
Jesse, for travel to Yosemite don't rule out Sacramento. My wife and I flew in there last year because it was the cheapest flight to the area we could find...considerably less than Fresno, San...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » 09 JMT thru hike
September 04, 3:42pm

Inov8 Cushioning?
Two questions- I currently use Salomon XA Pro's which have zero padding underfoot. The midsole collapses a little too quickly for my liking, leaving the shoes feeling somewhat 'dead'...

In GEAR » Inov8 Flyroc 310 vs Roclite 315
August 28, 6:48pm

Re: MLD Ark/Exodus vs ULA Circuit
I have never used an MLD pack and have carried the ULA Circuit loaded with about 30lbs. I also own a ULA Conduit and have used it for several years now. If you've decided that the weight di...

In GEAR » MLD Ark/Exodus vs ULA Circuit
August 21, 7:20am

All Reader Reviews by Russell Swanson

Showing 1 - 8 of 8 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Pacific Outdoor Products Insul Mat Max-Thermo
This is a little dated as the new Ether series has since replaced my POE pad but I still feel the review is relevant due as a statement about the company. First, the pad is comfortable, so I won'...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
September 29, 11:48pm

Pacific Outdoor Equipment Max Compact
I'll be posting a similar review under the POE Max Thermo regarding the quality of the pad. First, the pad is as comfortable as advertised, so I won't go into details about this. My comments ...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
September 29, 11:41pm

Aloksak O.P 12.5 x 20"
I also had difficulties securing the seal on the on the OP Sak in both a Bear Vault and an Ursak (w/aluminum liner). The OP Sak is square and the bear containers are round. Perhaps a better design w...

In Miscellaneous Products
September 22, 9:42am

Patagonia Houdini Wind Jacket
I don't need to add to the comments about the jacket's usefulness and breathability. I practicaly live in mine on the trail. I'm dinging the perfect rating down to a 3/5 for two reasons;...

In Clothing - Wind & Soft Shell
May 03, 4:33pm

ULA Conduit
A lot of superlatives have been already said in the above reviews and I don't have a lot to add, other comments about the pad sleeve. It was clearly designed to accept self inflating 3/4 length p...

In Backpacks - Frameless
April 11, 10:57am

REI Quarterdome
If you must have a double walled tent, this one is hard to beat. For the price, you're getting a great package. I've had the Quarter Dome for a few years now and it's been quite a serv...

In Shelters - Double Wall Tents
March 21, 5:18pm

ULA Equipment
Aside from Brian's phenomenal products (which are well documented), I recently had a great experience shopping with ULA. While researching a new pack purchase, Brian Frankle my emails to ULA Equi...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 14, 1:58pm

Western Mountaineering Ultralight Super
Ok, I'll admit that I'm posting this review just to see what it does to my BPL rating. Oh the vanity! I bought this bag sight unseen, based largely on Western Mountaineering’s reputation within th...

In Sleeping Bags - Mummy & Other
November 30, 6:02pm