Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Robert Perkins (rp3957) - BPL Guest

My Locale The Sierras
About Me I usually plan 2- 3 weekend trips in the Sierras a year and try to do one 'long' hike a year. I really like the Central part of the Sierras.
CitySparks
StateNevada
CountryUS

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Robert Perkins

Showing 151 - 160 of 484 | Page: 1 ...7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ...49

Forum » Thread

JMT reasonable time needed
Black Giant, Split Mtn., Painted Lady, Tawny Point are all climbable/hikeable with no technical gear, if conditions are right, ie; low snow year, ect.

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » JMT reasonable time needed
February 14, 8:02am

No problem at all. I got shot down multiple times last summer for a HI start after faxing in my request at the first second I could, and decided to do some research around their archaic permit syst...

February 13, 6:48pm

You can get a permit from Glacier Point or a permit from Happy Isles to Illiouette Falls for your first night, then back-track a mile and a half or so and do the JMT. You have to be specific when y...

February 13, 4:20pm

VVR or TM, he'll be disappointed with the "free cabin" at each. One doesn't have them, the other your piled in with several other people in bunkbeds, and listen to snoring and/or ...

February 13, 7:12am

It seems like a reasonable schedule. Are you doing the split for easier permit access or vehicle logistics? If you can pull it off, just day hike from HI to TM, or vice-versa. It isn't too bad,...

February 12, 9:51pm

"Sierra High Route - Should I stay or Should I go?"
Andy, Thanks for the links to Frozen Lake Pass and Snow Tongue Pass. It gives you a little better idea of the 'feel' of them' I'm pretty sure Tom has covered a lot of back count...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Sierra High Route - Should I stay or Should I go?
January 18, 7:15am

It was pretty loose, small scree on a pretty steep chute with a long tumble if your feet slipped or got away from you. I found that if I took a small zig-zag descent while always keeping a trekking...

January 17, 8:53pm

I have done the Southern 1/3 of the SHR from Roads End to Dusy Basin. It is 'hands-down' my favorite hike I have done and is well worth doing. Having said that, I am very comfortable in the...

January 17, 7:51pm

2012 JMT Fastpack Gearlist
Craig, Your gearlist looks good! The WM Summerlight hits the 'sweet spot' for the JMT for me as well. I may get a little chilled in the early morning hours, but by then I am getting ready t...

In Gear Lists » 2012 JMT Fastpack Gearlist
January 16, 8:24pm

Kooka Bay
This is amazing that this kind of customer service is still happening with Kookabay. I gave him a second chance last year on a pad, and did receive a pad, but in the process of Benders poor communi...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Kooka Bay
January 14, 8:44pm

All Reader Reviews by Robert Perkins

Showing 1 - 5 of 5 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Zimmerbuilt Half-Dome, modified
I have owned many packs with some features I liked and dis-liked on each one, so I decided to give the custom order pack method a shot. After a less than pleasant experience with Kooka bay, I went int...

In Backpacks - Frameless
June 24, 9:53pm

Osprey Talon 44
I picked up this pack with my REI dividend and have been taking it for a lot of 'test-runs' in the hills and have come to really love it's fit. I have switched between trying out a SMD Swi...

In Backpacks - Internal Frame
April 24, 11:23pm

Six Moons Designs 2011 Swift
I have had a chance to do a quick test run of my new Swift pack with pocket hipbelt, and no stays. I am really impressed with how this pack rides! I loaded it up with about 20 pounds and took it for a...

In Backpacks - Frameless
February 09, 8:15pm

KookaBay air mattress
Edit - If I could, I would do two seperate ratings here. The pad would rate a 4, but customer sevice and response time would be a 1. I'll give it an average of 2.5. I got the pad and overall it...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 05, 1:12pm

MSR Mountain Safety Research HyperFlow microfilter
At first I just loved this filter, it had all of the qualities of a good filter; fast pumping, compact, and light. I used it in the Sierra's, in clear water, following the backflushing instruction...

In Hydration - Water Treatment
October 26, 10:32pm