Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Denis Hazlewood (redleader) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Luxury-Light Luke on the Llano Azul
About Me 75 years old. Started backpacking in the late 60's. Raced small sailboats for 20 years until I moved to Lake Tahoe in '83. Started backpacking again and upgraded my gear shaving 20lbs off my back. Began CARRYING A GOOD THING TOO FAR, a workshop for beginning backpackers in 1987. Hiking mostly in the northern Sierra, Lost Coast and Southern Cascades. Was introduced to lightweight backing by my friend and hiking partner, Donn Nibblett, and have experimented with alcohol stoves and, most lately, an ultralite titanium mulit-tool potty trowel.
CityPetaluma
StateCA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Denis Hazlewood

Showing 151 - 160 of 1222 | Page: 1 ...7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ...123

Forum » Thread

Thanks Jack!
But, though I fly low and slow, I get to camp with the BPL Eagles. Great work Bender. Thanks again.

In Make Your Own Gear » 11.4 oz 78x20x2.5" Sleeping pad :)
October 13, 5:17am

Re: Denis here is your pillow
Thanks to all the creative members here @ BPL,my pack just keeps getting lighter. And my nights sleep just keeps getting more comfortable.

In Make Your Own Gear » 11.4 oz 78x20x2.5" Sleeping pad :)
October 12, 11:37pm

So...You backpack alot, what do you carry?
I was visiting my Mother and Brother in Colorado's most southwesterly town, and was having lunch with them and my brother's friend. She (the friend) turned to me and said "So I hear y...

In GEAR » Ultralight Rifle
October 11, 1:05pm

Re: Sublite Thoughts/Discussion
And why don't you like the roll-up vent cover? It works just fine and I don't close mine unless there's a cold wind, or it rains. I really like the Sublite and, when solo hiking, have...

In GEAR » Sublite Thoughts/Discussion
October 09, 7:43pm

Re: My perfect sleep system
NF Beeline 30° bag = 22 ounces NeoAir Small = 9 ounces WalMart Inflatable Pillow = 6.2 ounces Total = 37.2 ounces of very comfortable sleep

In GEAR » Is there such a thing
October 08, 11:31pm

Re: no-cook lunch
Laurie, Three weeks ago I made a batch of your wonderful tapenade. It was so delicious I made two more batches right away. On a weeks trip in the Emigrant Wilderness I took some for each lunch...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » no-cook lunch
October 05, 9:52pm

Re: Re:FlexAir Pillow
I bought an inflatable pillow from WalMart. It isn't ultralight but it is comfortable and has lasted for a total of about 40 nights use. I only paid about $7. It's got a half inch of mem...

In GEAR » FlexAir Pillow
October 05, 9:38pm

Re: Seam-sealing a Sublite
Hey Joe, you put a hole in your new tent already? Mine came seam sealed and hasn't leaked yet.

In GEAR » Seam-sealing a Sublite
October 05, 9:32pm

This year seemed better for me... Re: Just me, or was it a bad mosquito season in the Sierras this year?
I agree, there seemed to be fewer mosquitoes in the Sierra this year due, in part, to the drier than usual conditions. Had a few at Bear Lake (Emigrant Wilderness) in late July, when we had to c...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Just me, or was it a bad mosquito season in the Sierras this year?
October 02, 10:11pm

Re: Re: Camp Chair
For 18 ounces you can have a Sling-Light and not have to worry about tipping over at all. And... they're very, very sturdy. I've been carrying this one since 1986. Sling-Light Chair....

In Multiple Use Gear » Camp Chair
October 02, 5:58pm

All Reader Reviews by Denis Hazlewood

Showing 1 - 8 of 8 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Complete Walker by Colin Fletcher
Brett, Is he any worse than RJ? I mean Corn Pasta? Did you ever try Corn Pasta? You should have seen all the Corn Pasta in the drop boxes at PCT mail drops just after he published the Corn Pasta b...

In Books and Media
February 14, 11:05pm

Martin Backpacker Guitar
James you're right-on for every point. I have a late '50s Martin 18G-00. It's a dream, but no way I'd haul an axe that heavy (and that valuable) into any canyon. My Backpacker too s...

In Miscellaneous Products
January 25, 6:20pm

LuxuryLight Modular External Frame Backpack
I had carried my LuxuryLight external frame backpack for the most of the 2005 season when I slipped and slid 8 feet down a creek bank. The pack frame took my 200 lb. load plus the 26lbs. in the pack....

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
January 24, 3:42pm

Big Sky Products Evolution 2P
On December 6, 2005 I ordered my Big Sky Evolution 2P tent. It was finally delivered on December 14, 2006. It took 373 days of badgering Bob Molen and I had just about given up hope of ever getting ...

In Shelters - Double Wall Tents
January 19, 6:03pm

Keebler Fudge Peanut Butt. filled cookies (like Reese's)
These get my 5/5 rating also. They are absolutly a stealth food. If the others find out you've got them you'll have to share. Peanut Butter and Chocolate. The only thing better is more.

In Foods - Energy Bars, Gels, and Drinks
January 15, 2:51pm

Sling-Light Chair w/ body and kneck rest
In 1986 I was wandering around in a local outfitters store and saw my first Sling-Light. I bought one with the optional headrest. The first time I carried it was on the Tahoe-Yosemite trail from Mee...

In Miscellaneous Products
December 15, 12:43pm

Big Sky International
On December 5, 2005 I ordered, and paid for, an Evolution 2P tent from Bob Molen. Bob has given me many promised delivery dates, the most recent on November 29, 2006, when Bob said he had the tent. ...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
December 05, 12:47pm

LuxuryLite Gear Modular Frame Pack
I have just finished two backpack trips using the LuxuryLite Pack. Mine is the all carbon fiber model, with three extra large cylinders. I'm still learning how to pack the cylinders but I think ...

In Backpacks - External Frame
September 01, 4:34pm