BPL Community Profile

Roger Caffin (rcaffin) - BPL Staff

My Locale Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
About Me Research Scientist. Been walking all my life, mainly off-track - we don't have 'trails' here, and I always go with my wife. Summer and winter, lowland and highland, Australia and Europe. Forced into UL gear by heavy packs and increasing age. :-)
Example Gear List at http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/caffins_4_month_gear_list.html

BPL email: roger@backpackinglight.com
CitySydney
StateNSW
CountryAustralia
My Website URLhttp://www.bushwalking.org.au/FAQ/

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Roger Caffin

Showing 151 - 160 of 9275 | Page: 1 ...7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ...928

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: 10 person Teepee for 80 bucks
> And what's 190t polyester nylon? Is it a poly-nylon blend? I am inclined to think it is Chinese English. The idea of blending polyester with nylon is ... strange. However, the Chinese do...

In GEAR » 10 person Teepee for 80 bucks
June 05, 6:19pm

Re: Re: Coffee filter?
Just to add some experience to what Ian wrote: WE (my wife and I) have both been hit by water-borne viruses. We were both 'out of it' for 24 hours, with medical attention. OK, it was a s...

In GEAR » Do I have any other option for a water purifier a part from the Steripen and Sawyer models?
June 05, 6:09pm

Re: Re: New Product: Vectrawire Cord-Introductory Sale
> How do you cut it? I find ceramic scissors work reasonable well. Failing that, really heavy and sharp fabric shears - I mean with a really heavy blade and pivot. Two words of warning abou...

In Gear Deals » New Product: Vectrawire Cord-Introductory Sale
June 05, 6:03pm

Re: Re: Rapid Pure
I am not sure that it can be called a scam. They very explicitely claim they meet EPA requirements, and their office is in America (Lakeland, MN). You don't make that sort of claim without good...

In GEAR » Do I have any other option for a water purifier a part from the Steripen and Sawyer models?
June 05, 4:00pm

Re: Coffee filter?
> Can I use a coffee filter as a pre-filter, along with the Steripen Absolutely! Good combo. > will it work ok with water bottles/hydration reservoirs and pan/pots or would I need some so...

June 05, 1:48am

Re: wonder tape
I would be a little bit worried about long-term glue bleed, as with very old rolls of sticky tape. Yucky! Me, I use fine pins. Cheers

In Make Your Own Gear » noob botched her first summer quilt!
June 05, 1:35am

Re: canister stove durability
Hi Jen You can't clean the needle valve on a SOTO. You may be able to clean the jet - not sure. You can check the BS011 O-ring that seals to the canister. If damaged, replace with Viton fo...

In GEAR » canister stove durability
June 05, 1:30am

Re: Re: Re:Re: Darn.
> it is only when shoes feel like slippers at home that they won't hurt me on the trail. I had some light single-layer leather shoes from a Boot Survey for another mag once, which stretc...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Blood under Nails and Shoe Size Question
June 02, 4:37pm

Re: ONE stove accomodating liquid fuels (or canisters) along with denatured alcohol and wood?
Hi Alessandra Butane, propane, white gas, kero etc - yes, sort of. I think you could get an XGK to handle all of these WITH some changes of jet and adapters for the tank end of the hose. How...

In GEAR » ONE stove accomodating liquid fuels (or canisters) along with denatured alcohol and wood?
June 02, 4:34pm

Re: Re: Re: foot tension?
Hi Jen > isn't the 60 needle BIGGER? meaning for thicker fabrics? Depends on which scale you are using! On the Singer/Elna scale which we use in Oz, #60 is about the finest, and #100 is...

In Make Your Own Gear » noob botched her first summer quilt!
June 02, 5:28am

All Reader Reviews by Roger Caffin

Showing 1 - 4 of 4 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Skinny Skis, Jacksons Hole XC Skis
My wife and I had to re-equip with new XC skis, NNN-BC bindings and boots this year. We found several companies which could supply the models we were looking for and ship overseas (to Australia), and ...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
October 28, 3:08pm

Darn Tough Vermont Socks Customer Service
I got a pair of the DTV boot socks in a BGT Test. I gave them hell for four months. It didn't seem to have had any effect on them. Roland B is a very helpful guy too.

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
May 06, 3:53am

Coleman Exponent Xtreme Stove
I have been using the Xtreme in the snow for many years. I have never ever had any problems with it. It lights and runs completely reliably. It will run down to -26 C (-15 F) because the gas mix in t...

In Stoves - White Gas
October 24, 4:17pm

Snow Peak Gigapower Ti
I've used mine for ... many years now. I was initially irritated by the valve off position, but then I wondered: It is otherwise superbly made: what if the valve position is deliberate? Why would th...

In Stoves - Canister
December 29, 10:04pm