Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Roger Caffin (rcaffin) - BPL Staff

My Locale Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
About Me Research Scientist. Been walking all my life, mainly off-track - we don't have 'trails' here, and I always go with my wife. Summer and winter, lowland and highland, Australia and Europe. Forced into UL gear by heavy packs and increasing age. :-)
Example Gear List at http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/caffins_4_month_gear_list.html

BPL email: roger@backpackinglight.com
CitySydney
StateNSW
CountryAustralia
My Website URLhttp://www.bushwalkingnsw.org.au/FAQ/

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Roger Caffin

Showing 151 - 160 of 10521 | Page: 1 ...7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ...1053

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: Re: MSR Hate
Hi Nick > What effect does an inverted feed have on CO? Essentially ZERO effect. CO is generated when the flame is quenched by hitting the pot or the pot supports. How the fuel gets to the ...

In Editor's Roundtable » BRS-3000T stove Spotlite Review
June 07, 5:45pm

Re: New to backpacking: Why does my backpack already seem so light?
That's not bad, but your full gear list will be a LOT bigger than that. The critical thing now is that you do NOT relax and start throwing in extra non-essentials 'because they don't ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » New to backpacking: Why does my backpack already seem so light?
June 07, 5:39pm

Re: camera cases...how minimal are you comfortable going?
Hi Jennifer I make my own camera pouches (naturally). 1000D Cordura X-Pac with a thin neoprene foam lining and silnylon inside that for slipperiness in putting the camera back. Rainproof and pa...

In GEAR » camera cases...how minimal are you comfortable going?
June 07, 5:36pm

Re: Lightest & Best 3 Layer Rain Jacket?
> I'm assuming a 3 layer waterproof breathable jacket is best for heavy rain conditions > like in the Pacific Northwest. Probably Gortex or eVent, I expect. Several mighty big assumptio...

In GEAR » Lightest & Best 3 Layer Rain Jacket?
June 07, 5:29pm

Re: Camping along Via Alpina in Switzerland
You can walk the SAR without a tent. People do. Step 1: buy the Cicerone guide to the Alpine Pass Route by Kev Reynolds. It has everything you need to know, including shops, Refuges and hotels, ...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Camping along Via Alpina in Switzerland
June 07, 4:08am

Poles etc
My tunnel tents use CF poles, and they are 7.5 mm or 0.295" diameter. That seems to be pretty standnard for CF poles. Remember, CF can be stronger than aluminium, even 7075. Have the poles ...

In Make Your Own Gear » Pole Sleeves, Seams, and Ends for Dome Tent
June 07, 4:01am

Re: MSR Hate
Hi James The choices are a) outside in a storm getting cold and wet and hoping that your water might heat up, or b) inside your tent warm and dry while the storm rages outside, and the stove is ...

June 07, 3:39am

Re: Re: Re: Hissing
> but it won't make it an MSR. Chuckle. MSR Reactor CO emissions: about 1200 ppm - totally lethal BRS-3000T CO emissions: ~20 ppm Yeah, real good MSR engineering there. Cheers

June 06, 4:21am

Re: Hissing
One non-destructive 'modification you can try is to experiment with slightly fatter O-rings. That way you should get the sealing before the valve opens. Cheers

June 05, 8:36pm

Re: Snow Peak Gigapower windscreen: probably not worth it.
Hi Marshall Welcome to stove land. Following on from what others have already said: The heat reflector (it's NOT a windscreen) is only ever needed when you have a very big pot on the s...

In GEAR » Snow Peak Gigapower windscreen: probably not worth it. Also, a cold canister isn't that inefficient
June 05, 8:33pm

All Reader Reviews by Roger Caffin

Showing 1 - 4 of 4 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Skinny Skis, Jacksons Hole XC Skis
My wife and I had to re-equip with new XC skis, NNN-BC bindings and boots this year. We found several companies which could supply the models we were looking for and ship overseas (to Australia), and ...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
October 28, 3:08pm

Darn Tough Vermont Socks Customer Service
I got a pair of the DTV boot socks in a BGT Test. I gave them hell for four months. It didn't seem to have had any effect on them. Roland B is a very helpful guy too.

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
May 06, 3:53am

Coleman Exponent Xtreme Stove
I have been using the Xtreme in the snow for many years. I have never ever had any problems with it. It lights and runs completely reliably. It will run down to -26 C (-15 F) because the gas mix in t...

In Stoves - White Gas
October 24, 4:17pm

Snow Peak Gigapower Ti
I've used mine for ... many years now. I was initially irritated by the valve off position, but then I wondered: It is otherwise superbly made: what if the valve position is deliberate? Why would th...

In Stoves - Canister
December 29, 10:04pm