Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Roger Caffin (rcaffin) - BPL Staff

My Locale Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
About Me Research Scientist. Been walking all my life, mainly off-track - we don't have 'trails' here, and I always go with my wife. Summer and winter, lowland and highland, Australia and Europe. Forced into UL gear by heavy packs and increasing age. :-)
Example Gear List at http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/caffins_4_month_gear_list.html

BPL email: roger@backpackinglight.com
CitySydney
StateNSW
CountryAustralia
My Website URLhttp://www.bushwalking.org.au/FAQ/

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Roger Caffin

Showing 151 - 160 of 9710 | Page: 1 ...7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ...971

Forum » Thread

Re League of Denial
> the CO2 increase is half as much as expected from the amount of fossil fuels burned. > But they figured that was because the ocean has absorbed half the CO2, Current research suggests t...

In Chaff » The Carbon Flame War
October 19, 7:21pm

Re: Re League of Denial
> other causes that may explain what really drives the weather, because CO2 is looking > less and less like the culprit. Looking into other causes is always good. That's called honest...

In Chaff » The Carbon Flame War
October 19, 6:09pm

Re: Re: Product use update
> I've been curious why they don't use silicone coatings with WPB rain gear? Silicone is incompatible with fluorocarbon DWR, and it is much softer as well. It abrades off and cannot be...

In GEAR » which waterproofing agent?
October 19, 3:01pm

Re: Re: Fabric for a MYOG innertent
I like the yellow. Very cheerful. Cheers

In Make Your Own Gear » Fabric for a MYOG innertent
October 19, 2:59pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Supplex Mountain Shirt
Hi Huzefa > I am puzzled though by looking at Roger's Top: > How did he manage to make it 6.1 oz?! Yes indeed: you can get Supplex in different weights. I have fabric from three d...

In Make Your Own Gear » Supplex Mountain Shirt
October 19, 2:58pm

Re: canister
Hi Katy > My Litemax stove has always caused a little bit of gas to be released on > connect/disconnect. I figured that was normal, now I am not so sure. Is it? NO. It should NOT happen...

In GEAR » Snow Peak LiteMax stove malfunction? or was it the canister's fault? or maybe just my own stupidity?
October 19, 2:52pm

Re: Some post-hike thoughts on my Sawyer mini filter with questions
> I had problems with my Steripen. First, I used rechargeable batteries but they only > treated a couple pints. It has been said before, many many times, that cheap batteries will not work ...

In GEAR » Some post-hike thoughts on my Sawyer mini filter with questions
October 19, 2:32pm

Re: photo of the LiteMax
Well, indeed, there seems to be an O-ring there. But in that case, why did the gas escape? Possibility #1: the O-ring has been flattened somehow and no longer seals. In which case, extract it, s...

In GEAR » Snow Peak LiteMax stove malfunction? or was it the canister's fault? or maybe just my own stupidity?
October 19, 2:43am

Re: thanks
Hi Katy > Not going to try to repair it myself. Replacing the O-ring is not 'repairing'. It is just common sense routine maintenance. But first check the O-ring - or the gap where it...

October 18, 3:04pm

Re: Snow Peak LiteMax stove malfunction? or was it the canister's fault? or maybe just my own stupidity?
Katy Your description makes me believe (>90% probabilty) that your stove was actually missing the crucial O-ring - or at the very least the O-ring was very badly damaged. But I suspect 'm...

October 17, 7:57pm

All Reader Reviews by Roger Caffin

Showing 1 - 4 of 4 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Skinny Skis, Jacksons Hole XC Skis
My wife and I had to re-equip with new XC skis, NNN-BC bindings and boots this year. We found several companies which could supply the models we were looking for and ship overseas (to Australia), and ...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
October 28, 3:08pm

Darn Tough Vermont Socks Customer Service
I got a pair of the DTV boot socks in a BGT Test. I gave them hell for four months. It didn't seem to have had any effect on them. Roland B is a very helpful guy too.

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
May 06, 3:53am

Coleman Exponent Xtreme Stove
I have been using the Xtreme in the snow for many years. I have never ever had any problems with it. It lights and runs completely reliably. It will run down to -26 C (-15 F) because the gas mix in t...

In Stoves - White Gas
October 24, 4:17pm

Snow Peak Gigapower Ti
I've used mine for ... many years now. I was initially irritated by the valve off position, but then I wondered: It is otherwise superbly made: what if the valve position is deliberate? Why would th...

In Stoves - Canister
December 29, 10:04pm