BPL Community Profile

Roger Caffin (rcaffin) - BPL Staff

My Locale Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
About Me Research Scientist. Been walking all my life, mainly off-track - we don't have 'trails' here, and I always go with my wife. Summer and winter, lowland and highland, Australia and Europe. Forced into UL gear by heavy packs and increasing age. :-)
Example Gear List at http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/caffins_4_month_gear_list.html

BPL email: roger@backpackinglight.com
CitySydney
StateNSW
CountryAustralia
My Website URLhttp://www.bushwalking.org.au/FAQ/

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Roger Caffin

Showing 151 - 160 of 9437 | Page: 1 ...7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ...944

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: myog mountaineering cuben tunnel tent?
Hi Pierre > This diagram helps me a lot. There's a cost of course: we want photos of the finished gear! > Rasant was a pain to get being in Canada. I know - but it is really good ...

In Make Your Own Gear » myog mountaineering cuben tunnel tent?
August 15, 3:40pm

Re: Lightweight Hiking Shoes - Approach?
Hi Christoph > a) not waterproof You simply do NOT need 'waterproof'. We roam around the European Alps in NON-GTX shoes, never with GTX. Having a GTX liner just means your feet are g...

In GEAR » Lightweight Hiking Shoes - Approach?
August 15, 1:06am

Re: Evaluating outdoor gear with open source hardware
Hat off for this one. I was away walking and so missed its publication. It certainly sets the bar for the future! Cheers

In Editor's Roundtable » Evaluating outdoor gear with open source hardware
August 15, 1:01am

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: myog mountaineering cuben tunnel tent?
Hi Pierre In my opinion ... you need to reinforce the key bits of fabric and sewing properly. In the image here you will see what I mean. The thick red lines are a layer of Cuben fibre ...

August 14, 4:55pm

Re: Re: Re: myog mountaineering cuben tunnel tent?
Hi Pierre Snow loading: if anything, this would normally add stability to the tent imho. The apparent fly 'weight' would go right up so the tent would not shake nearly as much, and shaki...

August 14, 1:43am

Re: myog mountaineering cuben tunnel tent?
Hi Pierre (I was away walking and missed the start of this thread. So this reply is a bit brief.) Well, several comments. Yes, of course 4 poles are good! :-) :-) First, bonded junctions...

August 13, 5:28pm

Re: Re: Cotton and Wool
Wool for warm weather? Um ... Cheers

In GEAR » wool/cotton blends?
August 13, 4:25am

Re: wool/cotton blends?
Sounds like suicide to me. Cheers

In GEAR » wool/cotton blends?
August 12, 11:09pm

Re: Am I crazy, or does Paclite not work?
Oh yeah, 'guaranteed to keep you dry' ... Cold rain wets surface of jacket and chills it. Warm body inside sweats. Sweat vapour inside jacket meets cold interior surface of fabric of j...

In GEAR » Am I crazy, or does Paclite not work?
August 12, 11:07pm

Re: Re: Some questions about winter camping in the Sierras.
> recommend a sleeping bag with a totally waterproof shell, as it is your ultimate survival cocoon. That could be a really bad idea. REALLY bad - if the 'shell' means the outer case. ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Some questions about winter camping in the Sierras.
August 12, 11:02pm

All Reader Reviews by Roger Caffin

Showing 1 - 4 of 4 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Skinny Skis, Jacksons Hole XC Skis
My wife and I had to re-equip with new XC skis, NNN-BC bindings and boots this year. We found several companies which could supply the models we were looking for and ship overseas (to Australia), and ...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
October 28, 3:08pm

Darn Tough Vermont Socks Customer Service
I got a pair of the DTV boot socks in a BGT Test. I gave them hell for four months. It didn't seem to have had any effect on them. Roland B is a very helpful guy too.

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
May 06, 3:53am

Coleman Exponent Xtreme Stove
I have been using the Xtreme in the snow for many years. I have never ever had any problems with it. It lights and runs completely reliably. It will run down to -26 C (-15 F) because the gas mix in t...

In Stoves - White Gas
October 24, 4:17pm

Snow Peak Gigapower Ti
I've used mine for ... many years now. I was initially irritated by the valve off position, but then I wondered: It is otherwise superbly made: what if the valve position is deliberate? Why would th...

In Stoves - Canister
December 29, 10:04pm