BPL Community Profile

Roger Caffin (rcaffin) - BPL Staff

My Locale Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
About Me Research Scientist. Been walking all my life, mainly off-track - we don't have 'trails' here, and I always go with my wife. Summer and winter, lowland and highland, Australia and Europe. Forced into UL gear by heavy packs and increasing age. :-)
Example Gear List at http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/caffins_4_month_gear_list.html

BPL email: roger@backpackinglight.com
CitySydney
StateNSW
CountryAustralia
My Website URLhttp://www.bushwalking.org.au/FAQ/

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Roger Caffin

Showing 151 - 160 of 9323 | Page: 1 ...7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ...933

Forum » Thread

Re: Good online plastic storage container (including polypro) suppliers
I will argue that the ultimate choice is Nalge (or Nalgene). The lids do NOT leak. However, they are probably a bit dearer and a shade heavier. Mine are ex-laboratory ones. Cheers

In GEAR » Good online plastic storage container (including polypro) suppliers
June 24, 2:35am

Re: MG
Map scales in Europe and Australia are 'metric': 1:25k and 1:50k are normal for walkers. Cheers

In GEAR » Planning for a BPL Poll
June 24, 12:59am

Re: How to pack a pack? Where to put hydration bladder?
IMHO: Hydration sleeves are uterly pointless and even stupid. The idea of putting a bladder in one is just farcical as all the other gear will squash it flat and possibly burst it as well. FAR, fa...

In GEAR » How to pack a pack? Where to put hydration bladder?
June 23, 5:02pm

Re: Why
Gives Marketing something to spin at the great unwashed. Cheers

In GEAR » What CF hiking poles have an ALUMINUM bottom section?
June 23, 12:26am

Re: Re: Thoughts on Fixing a Slipping Trekking Pole
> I've seen a couple twist-lock poles and the problem is they get stuck and you can't change the length. Can happen. Store the poles with the locks LOOSE. That way they will not stick s...

In Make Your Own Gear » Thoughts on Fixing a Slipping Trekking Pole
June 20, 4:02pm

Re: 123mountain.com CAUTION
In cases like this, you go to your credit card company and demand a refund, and you go to your local court house or BBB or Dept of Fair Trading or whatever government department is appropriate. Han...

In GEAR » 123mountain.com CAUTION
June 20, 3:56pm

Re: Your Favorite NB Trail Running Model?
For running: Leadville NB1210s and NB910V1s (not the older 910s). For more serious walking: NB889s. Cheers

In GEAR » Your Favorite NB Trail Running Model?
June 20, 3:47pm

Re: Reply to me
'F' means you have a Forum subscription, enabling you to post. cheers

In Make Your Own Gear » 1st timer
June 20, 2:02am

Re: Thoughts on Fixing a Slipping Trekking Pole
It's not a new problem,. but the solutions are simple. Don't damage the surface. Instead keep them clean. Tighten as necessary. Cheers

In Make Your Own Gear » Thoughts on Fixing a Slipping Trekking Pole
June 20, 2:00am

Re: Dayhikes near Sydney
Train to Mt Kuringai station. East along road and then down to sea. North to Berowra inlet Up W to Berowra station West to Berowra Hts Down to Great North Walk track S to Calna Ck E to mt Ku...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Dayhikes near Sydney
June 20, 1:58am

All Reader Reviews by Roger Caffin

Showing 1 - 4 of 4 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Skinny Skis, Jacksons Hole XC Skis
My wife and I had to re-equip with new XC skis, NNN-BC bindings and boots this year. We found several companies which could supply the models we were looking for and ship overseas (to Australia), and ...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
October 28, 3:08pm

Darn Tough Vermont Socks Customer Service
I got a pair of the DTV boot socks in a BGT Test. I gave them hell for four months. It didn't seem to have had any effect on them. Roland B is a very helpful guy too.

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
May 06, 3:53am

Coleman Exponent Xtreme Stove
I have been using the Xtreme in the snow for many years. I have never ever had any problems with it. It lights and runs completely reliably. It will run down to -26 C (-15 F) because the gas mix in t...

In Stoves - White Gas
October 24, 4:17pm

Snow Peak Gigapower Ti
I've used mine for ... many years now. I was initially irritated by the valve off position, but then I wondered: It is otherwise superbly made: what if the valve position is deliberate? Why would th...

In Stoves - Canister
December 29, 10:04pm