BPL Community Profile

Raymond Estrella (rayestrella) - BPL Professional Member

My Locale Northern Minnesota
About Me I have been backpacking for over 30 years, all over California, plus many western states and Minnesota. I hike year-round in all weather, and average 500+ miles (800+ km) per year. I make a point of using lightweight gear, and smaller volume packs. Doubting I can ever be truly UL, I try to be as near to it as I can yet still be comfortable. I start early and hike hard so as to enjoy the afternoons exploring/chilling. I usually take a freestanding tent and enjoy hot meals at night. If not hiking solo I am usually with brother-in-law Dave.
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Raymond Estrella

Showing 151 - 160 of 816 | Page: 1 ...7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ...82

Forum » Thread

no trouble...
Ha, I was addressing the OP Jen. I don't want no trouble with a perimenopausal woman. ;-)

In GEAR » Addressing ground-side breathability problems while sleeping
November 26, 7:37am

simmering with wood
If you want to use wood as a fuel source and would like to be able to simmer you could go to a Trail Designs Sidewinder Ti-Tri Stove System w/Inferno insert. With the pot it is about half the weigh...

In GEAR » Time/weight/volume - how to make freezerbag cooking actually work
November 26, 4:50am

What problems?
OK, my tongue is kinda in cheek, but I am a side-sleeper and rarely have any of the issues you describe. But like others suggested I take a sleep system rated for the temps I expect to see. Then I ...

In GEAR » Addressing ground-side breathability problems while sleeping
November 26, 4:40am

why karo?
Eugene they are a much easier method for the maker as it allows the entire quilt to be filled at once, instead of filling each tube between horizontal baffles.

In GEAR » Down shifting in Enlightened Equip quilts?
November 21, 10:30am

inflatable-strut-parkas
“Soon we'll all be wearing inflatable-strut-parkas(made of carbon nanotubes) with vacuum chambers.” That is funny Mike. A few days ago I read about Buckliballs and yesterday I was wonder...

In GEAR » So who else is going to wait and not buy an insulatig jacket this year?
November 21, 8:24am

down shifting a "feature"
“There is a disappointing amount of down shift in my Sierra Sniveller (Jacks R Better) as well. What is irritating to me is the way manufacturers often tout this as a design feature.” It is ...

In GEAR » Down shifting in Enlightened Equip quilts?
November 21, 7:03am

Feelings
Nah, the heck with actual experience. Go with your feelings... ;-)

In GEAR » The Future - Nanotechnology Waterproof Down
November 19, 9:48pm

double bagging
Absolutely. I won't comment on the dog inside in winter, but the idea of an over-bag, or over-quilt is not uncommon. I am actually going to be doing this as a side-project this winter, usin...

In GEAR » Using two bags at once with dog
November 18, 2:10pm

Short quilts and pads FS
My twins just flat shot up this year and are going to need bigger sleep gear so these need to go. GoLite UltraLite 800 Fill 3-Season Quilts: SOLD Big Agnes Insulated Air Core pads: size Petit...

In Gear Swap » Short quilts and pads FS
November 18, 8:42am

Winter when?
Winter camping (as in a tent) in full on winter in MN? Where? Winter before last I was at -31 in MN. I had a true winter parka, not a nice down sweater, like the Bitterroot. (It is nice, don't ...

In GEAR » It's the time of year for.. DOWN PARKAS! Advice on a warm one...
November 16, 5:59pm

All Reader Reviews by Raymond Estrella

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Osprey Exos 58
Osprey Exos 58 Backpack Size: Large Year manufactured: 2009 Weight listed: 2 lb 10 oz (1185 g) Actual weight 2 lb 9.8 oz (1180 g) Volume listed: 3700 cu in (61 L) Load weight capacity sugg...

In Backpacks - External Frame
June 15, 7:47pm

Big Agnes Seedhouse SL2
I bought one of the first Seedhouse SL2s in 2004. Last year I bought the new, lighter version pairing it with carbon fiber poles and Ti stakes to make a total weight package of 2 lb 15 oz (1.33 kg). I...

In Shelters - Double Wall Tents
February 16, 3:37pm