Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Raymond Estrella (rayestrella) - BPL Professional Member

My Locale Northern Minnesota
About Me I have been backpacking for over 30 years, all over California, plus many western states and Minnesota. I hike year-round in all weather, and average 500+ miles (800+ km) per year. I make a point of using lightweight gear, and smaller volume packs. Doubting I can ever be truly UL, I try to be as near to it as I can yet still be comfortable. I start early and hike hard so as to enjoy the afternoons exploring/chilling. I usually take a freestanding tent and enjoy hot meals at night. If not hiking solo I am usually with brother-in-law Dave.
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Raymond Estrella

Showing 151 - 160 of 821 | Page: 1 ...7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ...83

Forum » Thread

hat/bala
I take a hat on every trip, spring, fall and winter. Most times I just take a 3-in1 fleece beanie. If it gets cold I wear it with my quilt to sleep in, and if really cold pull out the face mask par...

In GEAR » Recommend a hat/balaclava
November 27, 6:35am

?
Great, I guess...

In GEAR » Q - Down Jacket, proper fit
November 27, 6:13am

Carbon Fiber Poles conduct electricity
CF poles will conduct electricity quite well. That said I have used mine for many, many nights supporting shelters like Tarptents and the NEMO Meta 2. I am using a Brooks Range Propel tent next ...

In GEAR » Use of Carbon Fiber Poles w/ Shelters
November 26, 4:16pm

Don't do that
Chocolate is on the way...

In GEAR » Addressing ground-side breathability problems while sleeping
November 26, 4:09pm

How about yesterday?
Funny that this thread came up. I just got an email from Bob as he is showing his newest design. http://www.indiegogo.com/big-sky-soul-ultra-light-tent?c=home Now that I am in MN I wish that ...

In GEAR » Recent Big Sky interactions?
November 26, 11:39am

no trouble...
Ha, I was addressing the OP Jen. I don't want no trouble with a perimenopausal woman. ;-)

November 26, 7:37am

simmering with wood
If you want to use wood as a fuel source and would like to be able to simmer you could go to a Trail Designs Sidewinder Ti-Tri Stove System w/Inferno insert. With the pot it is about half the weigh...

In GEAR » Time/weight/volume - how to make freezerbag cooking actually work
November 26, 4:50am

What problems?
OK, my tongue is kinda in cheek, but I am a side-sleeper and rarely have any of the issues you describe. But like others suggested I take a sleep system rated for the temps I expect to see. Then I ...

November 26, 4:40am

why karo?
Eugene they are a much easier method for the maker as it allows the entire quilt to be filled at once, instead of filling each tube between horizontal baffles.

In GEAR » Down shifting in Enlightened Equip quilts?
November 21, 10:30am

inflatable-strut-parkas
“Soon we'll all be wearing inflatable-strut-parkas(made of carbon nanotubes) with vacuum chambers.” That is funny Mike. A few days ago I read about Buckliballs and yesterday I was wonder...

In GEAR » So who else is going to wait and not buy an insulatig jacket this year?
November 21, 8:24am

All Reader Reviews by Raymond Estrella

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Osprey Exos 58
Osprey Exos 58 Backpack Size: Large Year manufactured: 2009 Weight listed: 2 lb 10 oz (1185 g) Actual weight 2 lb 9.8 oz (1180 g) Volume listed: 3700 cu in (61 L) Load weight capacity sugg...

In Backpacks - External Frame
June 15, 7:47pm

Big Agnes Seedhouse SL2
I bought one of the first Seedhouse SL2s in 2004. Last year I bought the new, lighter version pairing it with carbon fiber poles and Ti stakes to make a total weight package of 2 lb 15 oz (1.33 kg). I...

In Shelters - Double Wall Tents
February 16, 3:37pm