Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Randy Martin (randalmartin) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Colorado
About Me My primary pursuits are mountaineering (hiking with the goal of a summit) but I am beginning to re-kindle my love of Backpacking. In particular I have become a big fan of the Ultralight approach and love this website. I seem to be in a perpetual state of shelter/sleep system evaluation. My current setup for shelter is a GG SpinnTwinn with YMG Bug Bivy 1.0 (summer) or Katabatic Bristlecone Bivy(colder). Sleep system is Katabatic Chisos 40 degree quilt with Neoair short.
CityCastle Rock
StateCO
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Randy Martin

Showing 151 - 160 of 672 | Page: 1 ...7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ...68

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: Colder weather - quilt v bag for side sleeper?
Quilts for my money are inherently more flexible with the ability to vent more freely if needed to take extend your bag in warmer than spec temperatures. The differential cut on the Katabatic Gear...

In GEAR » Colder weather - quilt v bag for side sleeper?
April 15, 9:50am

Melanzana High Loft hoodie
I found out about this company from a post here on BPL. They use the exact same fabric that Patagonia uses in the R4 to produce a hoodie. Since they are local and make everything in Leadville I w...

In GEAR » R4 weight fleece jacket tall size advice
April 13, 8:27am

Re: Fish Oil Capsules
I think at some point you need to think about more than just counting calories. You need a broad spectrum of nutrients to fuel your body properly and that is best accomplished by consuming a varie...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Fish Oil Capsules
April 05, 12:48pm

Re: Vargo Container
Ken, on the opposite of the bottle are pre-marked ounce indicators.

In GEAR » Alcohol Storage Container - GoGo Squeez?
April 04, 1:32pm

Vargo Outdoors
My favorite storage container is from Vargo Outdoors (link below). It has clear markings for fluid oz and holds up to 8oz. http://www.vargooutdoors.com/backpacking-stoves/alcohol-fuel-bottle.ht...

In GEAR » Alcohol Storage Container - GoGo Squeez?
April 04, 9:56am

Re: Rx Sunglasses
Transitions tend to not be dark enough for me but i hike in the Alpine where protection from bright snow reflected light is very critical. But maybe the technology has improved in the last few yea...

In GEAR » Rx Sunglasses
April 02, 1:03am

Re: Another (probably stupid) wind shirt question
If you have read every thread on wind shirts then you should have a pretty good idea of how other people use it. My use of a windshirt 1] Drastically reduce heat loss from wind and allow me to ...

In GEAR » Another (probably stupid) wind shirt question
April 01, 6:27pm

Re: EXPED Symat UL failure - delaminating microfibre
I haven't had this issue either. Agree with the previous poster that it's something worth contacting Exped about because I think they would be interested in knowing and I am sure they woul...

In GEAR » EXPED Symat UL failure - delaminating microfibre
April 01, 3:33pm

Re: MSR piezo igniter vs. Mini Bic
Yes, but I think the benefit of the piezo lighter is that the spark is further away from your hand and therefore much less chance to get burned.

In GEAR » MSR piezo igniter vs. Mini Bic
April 01, 2:49pm

Re: FS: MLD Bug Bivy
What is your price? Is this the SilNylon version or Cuben?

In Gear Swap » FS: MLD Bug Bivy
March 31, 11:28am

All Reader Reviews by Randy Martin

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Katabatic Gear Bristlecone (Regular Length, Wide Width)
I have had the Bristlecone Bivy for a year and really appreciate the side zipper for ease of entry/exit. The mesh is just right for breathability and views. The stake out loops are nice when you wan...

In Shelters - Bivy Sacks
May 15, 6:03pm

Marmot Atom
The bag is true to it's 40 degree rating and when I sleep with insulating layers on I have comfortably slept in this bag down to the upper 20's. If you are cold in this bag at 50 then I suspe...

In Sleeping Bags - Mummy & Other
May 31, 1:59pm