BPL Community Profile

paul johnson (pj) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest
About Me Backpacking for nearly 50yrs-shorter trips less than a week.

Outdoor interests (in no particular order): medicinal/edible wild plants of New England, observing wildlife (inverts & verts; and owls at night), insect collecting, dog training, night hiking, HEADLAMPS (for those night hikes), kinesiology/bio-mechanics of hiking (particularly trekking pole use), testing L/UL gear, unconventional packing systems, & backwater microbiology, & oh, yes, the darkside - motorsports(auto racing).

Now pretty much "grounded" so to speak.
CityHamden
StateCT
CountryUSofA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by paul johnson

Showing 151 - 160 of 2324 | Page: 1 ...7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ...233

Forum » Thread

Re: eVent Crysallis on BGT
ID is using a pic which is perhaps 3yrs old. I've seen that same pic of their TegralTex Crysallis bivy now for 2-3 yrs. I have the eVENT Crysallis and it does NOT have a rain/storm flap ove...

In Editor's Roundtable » State of the Market Report: Bivy Sack Technologies, Products, and Applications (2006)
February 18, 10:07am

Re: pj could sell ice cubes to eskimos
"ice cubes to eskimos" - i'm having trouble typing, i'm laughing so much. good one. Brett, i'm actually anything but a sales person. i've tried it and failed. "...

In GEAR » The Case for a Flashlight
February 18, 10:00am

Bill and James
Bill, Here's one that IS a direct Arc replacement that is superior to the Arc James, Two Links: BrightGuy.com - pay particular attention to the "CE" - CREE Editions -AN...

February 18, 9:31am

The Case for a Flashlight - The Final(???) Chapter
Is a flashlight a panacea for all backcountry lighting issues? No. Are they perfect lighting devices? No. In particular, stability can be an issue WITH THE LARGER two-cell flashlights, e.g. ...

February 18, 5:27am

Re: HOLY COW!
Eric, if you go back 2+ yrs, you'll see that even then i had a lot of "hot air". I've been trying to be better mannered over the last year-plus timeframe, and keep my posts shor...

February 18, 4:58am

Re: Re: Re: Re: The Case for a Flashlight - Part 2
C.P., At greater weights (due to 'C' cell batts or 8AA batts), *OR* shorter burn times (with 2-4 AA batts), and incandescent headlamp (or an Incandescent-Hybrid headlamp) will accomplish...

February 18, 4:35am

Re: The Case for a Flashlight
Hi Bill, The Arc Flashlight is a good UL single 5mm white LED (they now use the newer Nichia CS 5mm while LEDs, so, just like Petzl headlamps, are ~80% brighter with the same or nearly 2x burn t...

February 18, 3:55am

The Case for a Flashlight - Part 4.
The Case for a Flashlight - Part 4, For the Heavyweight Bout - the Champion Apex vs. the Challenger L2D-CE If the PT Eos is a "sacred cow", then the PT Apex would be a "sacred b...

February 17, 6:44pm

Light source Location/Positioning
I've tried all sorts of lights at diff. times in my life: handhelds, belt-mounted, right-angle pack strap mounted (both MX-991 & UK 1W LED types), clipped to my eye glasses, my cap brim, an...

February 17, 5:26pm

Re: Re: The Case for a Flashlight - Part 2
Vick, understand your reasons. For me, personally, I don't like to see shadows (but, then, i trip/stumble a lot at night & maybe it's partially due to the lack of shadows produced by ...

February 17, 4:39pm

All Reader Reviews by paul johnson

Showing 1 - 10 of 68 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Review

Category

Zebralight H50
the H50-Q5 has so many pros: 1. very small size (one of the benefits of being a "twisty". )- just slightly larger than the cell that powers it (1xAA - alkaline, NiMH, or Li-Primary; it c...

In Lights - Flashlights & Headlamps
May 11, 6:13am

Pak-Lite White Super
when i need a 5mm task light this is now my "go to" light for the last couple of months. why? 1. light in weight 2. bright in light [output] 3. i'll die of old-age before i bu...

May 10, 6:00pm

Surefire L2 Lumamax
Ok. So, one is unable to justify the $$$ for the U2 - try as hard as one might. Well, then, perhaps the L2 might fit the bill. It is after all a whopping hundred bucks cheaper (that ain't sayin...

March 27, 4:13am

Gossamer Gear NightLight 3/4
Light. Warm enough; add a thinlight or torso-length inflatable when it gets cold. Comparing the NightLight's R-value to other pads, it appears that the Nightlight has the highest R-val for its...

In Sleeping Pads - Foam
March 26, 4:36am

Surefire U2
If I could have only one flashlight, or maybe even one lighting device, it would be the 5.7oz 5watt, 2xCR123A powered Surefire U2 Ultra Digital flashlight. First the downsides: 1. How do ...

March 18, 9:35pm

Pro Lite Gear customer service
I've ordered many times from PLG. Big items. Small items. Several items in one order. Only ONCE, was there ever a mistake. However, i personally feel that the mistake was beneficial to my u...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
March 08, 11:48am

Lighten Up DVD with Glen Van Peski .
This DVD was a gift to me from another Forum participant (many thanks GR). This DVD doesn't pretend to be a detailed step-by-step tutorial, but, rather, more of an introduction. In this capaci...

In Books and Media
March 07, 1:52pm

Gossamer Gear Nightlight Torso
My favorite pad. Light. Warm enough (use two when it gets cold). I add a separate single section of this pad for use under my feet. Being so short that xtra 3" that the First Reviewer ment...

In Sleeping Pads - Foam
March 06, 5:40am

Pacific Outdoor Products Insul Mat Max-Thermo
Thick. Warm. Cushiony. Comfortable. Packs small enough. I can't make many claims to being great at anything in life. But, i could claim to be a GREAT sleeper after a day of trekkin' up ...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
March 06, 5:28am

Pacer Poles
I truly do love both sets of PacerPoles that i own (one pair 2-sect, and one pair 3-sect). I can't say enough good things about them. They are one of favorite T-poles (trekking poles) to use....

In Trekking Poles
March 06, 5:16am