BPL Community Profile

Paul McLaughlin (paul) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Paul McLaughlin hasn't told us about their geographical region yet.
About Me Paul McLaughlin has not added a biography yet.

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Paul McLaughlin

Showing 151 - 160 of 834 | Page: 1 ...7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ...84

Forum » Thread

Re: Since winter is around the corner I'm gonna talk about skis
Jeff - define "long tours". Do you mean long day tours, or do you mean multi-day tours? And are your tours in the kind of terrain that is pretty much all up and down, or do you like (and ...

In GEAR » Since winter is around the corner I'm gonna talk about skis
September 10, 9:26pm

Re: Which takes less energy for cross country: skis or snowshoes?
Skis will be easier. How long is this journey? and how much will you be carrying? Probably you'd be best off with a NNN-BC boot (or Salomon XA) and pretty light skis, something around 65-70mm w...

In GEAR » Which takes less energy for cross country: skis or snowshoes?
September 09, 7:43pm

Re: 14 days in SEKI, Sept 14-28. Any comments on this gear list
I would err on the warm side on everything. Weather at the end of September is extremely variable. You can fry or freeze. And I'd be prepared to deal with significant snow if it happens - and i...

In Gear Lists » 14 days in SEKI, Sept 14-28. Any comments on this gear list
September 09, 7:38pm

Re: Planer tent walls
Planar on non-planar is not necessarily bad but it will be trickier to get the tension right. Think of it this way - if you have a quadrilateral panel with all four points coplanar, and you move on...

In Make Your Own Gear » Planer tent walls
September 07, 11:49am

Re: whats the best trail mp3 player?
I have a couple - used mostly for audio books - that run on single AAA each, which I like because I'm not limited by the battery life like you are with an Ipod. However, the interfaces on both ...

In GEAR » whats the best trail mp3 player?
September 04, 6:10pm

Re: Where is that thread about pot size for melting snow?
I use a 2 liter AGG hard anodized pot, It's about 5 1/2" diameter which seems wide enough so that I'm not wasting too much heat up the sides. I find that size works well for one or two...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Where is that thread about pot size for melting snow?
September 03, 5:42pm

a night on top of the world
I am totally with you on spending the night atop Whitney (as long as the weather cooperates). The sunset and sunrise are beyond belief. And if there is some moonlight the midnight views are amazing...

In Post-Trip Reports » JMT in a Week
August 27, 3:57pm

Re: Hanging bear canisters
My understanding is that hanging a bear can is not recommended because if the can is restrained the bear may be able to work on it long enough to get into it, or be able to crush it against the tre...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Bear learns how to crack Garcia cans at Yosemite
August 27, 3:49pm

Re: Unsure about this conversion from boots to trail shoes
The wetness issues are not any different with boots unless you are never dealing with mater more than a few inches deep - a waterproof boot will keep that out. If it's over the boot tops then y...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Unsure about this conversion from boots to trail shoes
August 27, 3:38pm

Re: Point of Reference
Thanks, Damien. Definitely clarifies things for me.

In Editor's Roundtable » Backpacking Tights - Part 2
August 26, 5:02pm

All Reader Reviews by Paul McLaughlin

Paul McLaughlin has posted no reviews.