BPL Community Profile

Tom Kirchner (ouzel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Pacific Northwest/Sierra
About Me Leave no tracks.
CitySeattle
StateWA
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Tom Kirchner

Showing 151 - 160 of 5903 | Page: 1 ...7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ...591

Forum » Thread

Re: study@Shawn
Had the subjects ingested enough carbs(~30% of daily caloric requirement at walking pace) to support body fat metabolism for ~60-65% of their daily caloric requirement, and complete protein equal t...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Caloric Deficit on the Trail
May 23, 5:17pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I'm afraid
"Not sure BPL needs divine intervention, maybe just a moderator with a big stick intervention." That'll do until The Divine Intervener gets tired of listening to your prayers and i...

In Chaff » Hobby Lobby has good selection of 550 cord
May 22, 8:35pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: I'm afraid
"The Hebrews prayed for hundreds of years to be released from bondage before God finally sent Moses." The moral of the story is that if you pray long enough and loud enough, He'll ...

May 21, 8:03pm

It's baaaaaacck...
Stealth CHAFF. How long will it be before the authorities catch on and banish GEAR to the CHAFF bin? ;0)

May 21, 7:58pm

Re: Re: Chaff
"Let's go hiking!" WHAT???!! There's bugs and snakes and bears and pot growers out there. A person could get West Nile Virus, snake bit, mauled, or shot.

May 21, 7:43pm

Re: BPL
"But it seems that BPL is not the place for that. When basic human rights are shouted down, it's a sadder place." It used to be, until they swept it under the carpet by disconnecti...

May 21, 7:39pm

Re: tried and true left wing repsonse
"Lets tie sexual preference to slavery and the holocaust!" How does that work? Sounds a little S&Mish to me. C'mon, Michael, tell us how it works. ;0)

May 21, 7:27pm

Re: Re: RE: fill in the blank (Tyler)
"When you run, you will be caught," Depends on who's doing the running. And who's doing the chasing. ;0)

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Hikers shot and robbed in California
May 21, 7:11pm

Re: Wood-burning stove, denatured alcohol stove or a Solid-fuel tablet stove?
"I'll defer the "how does alcohol perform above 10k'"to someone else." I've used my Starlyte at ~11,500' with no problems, and I don't doubt it would work...

In GEAR » Wood-burning stove, denatured alcohol stove or a Solid-fuel tablet stove?
May 21, 7:05pm

Re: Re: Rambling the High Sierra
"I'm buying a packraft in the next year." An excellent antidote for endless talus, not to mention a great way to fish some of the larger lakes.

In Editor's Roundtable » Rambling the High Sierra
May 21, 6:58pm

All Reader Reviews by Tom Kirchner

Showing 1 - 6 of 6 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Gossamer Gear ThinLight insulation pad 1/8" approx. 2 oz.
Having used both of the above mentioned combinations(only with a Mens' Prolite 3), I heartily concur with their rating(s). It would be hard to find a piece of insulation/protection/padding that g...

In Sleeping Pads - Foam
October 27, 5:20pm

ULA Circuit
Pro's: 1) Light; 2) Durable for the weight(like Kevin, I've done some off-trail/bushwhacking(Wanda Lake to Martha Lake via Davis Lakes/N. Goddard Creek) with only minor abrasion on the waist...

In Backpacks - Internal Frame
August 29, 6:16pm

RailRiders Adventure Shirt
Scott, Check out travelcountry.com for the eco-mesh shirt. They have free shipping whereas Railriders charges a pretty hefty fee. I've been using this shirt for years and consider it the best S...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - SYNTHETIC
April 06, 5:27pm

Therm-A-Rest Pro-Lite 4
Hi David, What you are experiencing with your Prolite-4 is a common phenomenon in my experience with the Prolite-3. It is, however, easy to mitigate. Just position the valve next to your shoulder o...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
April 04, 5:17pm

Therm-A-Rest Pro Lite 3
I've used the Prolite-3 almost since it came out with good success. It compresses well, is very light FOR ITS SIZE(what would a TorsoLite weigh if it was 20"x48"??), and insulates just ...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
March 15, 6:02pm

REI Peak UL
I've been using the Peak UL carbon fiber poles(womens' non antishock 3 section model-11.2 oz/pr) ever since they came on the market and have been ecstatic about their performance. Like some other pos...

In Trekking Poles
November 04, 5:58pm