BPL Community Profile

Nathan Hays (oroambulant) - BPL Guest

My Locale San Francisco
About Me Nathan Hays has not added a biography yet.

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Nathan Hays

Showing 151 - 160 of 223 | Page: 1 ...4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

Forum » Thread

Re: Smartphone
You might want to verify whether your smartphone gives you proper elevation. My iPhone 4S does not calculate elevation from the GPS signals. Instead, it looks up 2D data on a topo map to report e...

In GEAR » Do the Garmin gps units with cameras take video as well?
May 23, 6:55pm

Re: Baffle Pattern
As shown the baffle is taut. Think of how it relaxes. The top sew points will move higher and the bottom sew points will move lower and the whole thing gets shorter. There's a nice feature...

In Make Your Own Gear » Baffle Pattern?
May 23, 2:44pm

Re: Baffle Pattern
It calls for a lot more baffle material. The length is set by the baffle length. The quilt/bag will shorten. The other way to draw this would be to have the top and bottom flat but have the ba...

In Make Your Own Gear » Baffle Pattern?
May 23, 8:48am

Re: Please help me make ridges in my Fosters pot
Try the tapper end of a glass cutter. It's a nice round, hard tool. Use the technique in the video.

In Make Your Own Gear » Please help me make ridges in my Fosters pot.
May 22, 6:20pm

JMT/PCT Logjam
Latest work progress report on the 50 miles of logjam. http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5367033.pdf They are clearing fast. Met a couple of the trail crew heading out to...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » JMT/PCT Logjam
May 21, 3:29pm

Re: Bear Cannisters
When are you hitting which trailhead? My clan is heading SOB down Lyell on 6/28. I'll be soloing NOB late august.

In GEAR » Bear Canisters
May 20, 10:39pm

Re: Bear Cannisters
It's not uncommon for someone to spend $160 to lighten their pack by 8 oz. At $27/yd, a 6x9 cuben tarp costs that in fabric alone, then you sew it. I've always rented Bearikades in Ceda...

In GEAR » Bear Canisters
May 20, 10:34pm

Bugs
Age old negotiating tactic: Coat yourself with DEET, then take the unsuspecting opposition for a walk to "discuss things in a more casual setting". They cave every time.

In Chaff » the G8 Summit at Camp David
May 20, 9:23pm

DEET
Eyedrops bottle.

In GEAR » packaging DEET
May 20, 8:47pm

Brunton Nomad
I have a Brunton Nomad. Nice unit, but changes in altitude always register 10% shorter than the actual movement. Calibrate at 5000', go up to 6000' and it shows 5900', return to start...

In GEAR » Altimeter Qs
May 20, 1:48am

All Reader Reviews by Nathan Hays

Nathan Hays has posted no reviews.