BPL Community Profile

scott Nelson (nlsscott) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale So. Calif.
About Me I've been hiking since the 70's. Spent about 20 years in the outdoor retail end of things. I now help teach an outdoor training class with the Sierra Club. I'm a docent at a nearby Nature Center and a volunteer diver at the Aquarium of the Pacific. I like making my own gear.
CitySouth Pasadena
StateCa
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by scott Nelson

Showing 151 - 160 of 236 | Page: 1 ...5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

Forum » Thread

Modify the frame?
I wonder if you could take this basic frame and cut off sections and substitue them with aluminum arrow shafts, etc. to make it lighter? Join it with tie-wraps?

In Make Your Own Gear » Enduroflex frame
January 21, 10:19pm

MYOG Straps
Great work on the packs and thanks for letting us see how you make your straps. Sewing the gross grain around the perimeter is tough to make come out right. So hats off to your work! I am wonderi...

In Make Your Own Gear » Backpack Straps, My Method
January 21, 10:14pm

Early Ultralight Manf. Sierra West
Sierra West was founded by Dick Kelty's son in Santa Barbara, CA and made some neat lightweight packs and tents. They stumbled on the "Big Dogs" T-Shirts and got out of the outdoor b...

In Make Your Own Gear » Things I've Learned While Making My Own Gear
January 19, 6:57pm

Snap Source?
You were so kind to site the sources for all your materials. Where did you get the plastic snaps? Do you need an expensive tool to set them? Thanks, Scott

In Make Your Own Gear » My MYOG Barber Pole Top Quilt
December 03, 8:18pm

ULA Curcuit
Interested if not already taken. Thanks, Scott

In Gear Swap » FS: ULA Circuit, MH balaclava, Patagonia windshirt
November 18, 7:14pm

EB Downlight sweater
I'm interested in the downlight sweater if it is still available.-Scott

In Gear Swap » BPL, MLD, GG, SMD, Montbell, Oware, Etc.
October 04, 7:12pm

Origins of the Sternum Strap
I worked at a backpacking store back in the 70's when sternum straps came into fashion. I think it was during a time when cross country skiing was big. The intention for the strap was to prve...

In Editor's Roundtable » Lightweight Internal Frame Packs: a State of the Market Report - Part 1C: Main Bag & Comfort
September 16, 2:44pm

Frame Height?
Is it important or not to have the frame extend above the attachment point of the shoulder straps? Does this shift the Center of Gravity higher and/or closer to the spine? Does it help prevent co...

In Editor's Roundtable » Lightweight Internal Frame Packs: a State of the Market Report - Part 1B: Theory and Technology
September 09, 7:00pm

"Please don't lick the fabric!"
So...you are the reason I get followed around, and closely monitored by the fabric store staff..

In Make Your Own Gear » Guess that Walmart fabric!
May 08, 3:24pm

Adding stays to pack
Adding stays to a pack is not hard. The difficult part will be getting the back panel in under the machine to sew it, now that you are all done. You will have to decide if you can work with sewin...

In Make Your Own Gear » Installing stays in G-4 pack?
April 29, 2:29pm

All Reader Reviews by scott Nelson

scott Nelson has posted no reviews.