BPL Community Profile

Nick Gatel (ngatel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me Started backpacking in the 1960's and still going strong.
CityPalm Springs
StateCA
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://www.popupbackpacker.com
My PDF Gear ListSub 4 lb

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Nick Gatel

Showing 151 - 160 of 5468 | Page: 1 ...7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ...547

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: Ideal shelter for above tree line use in the Wind Rivers
:I think I will hang onto my Duomid." Good choice.

In GEAR » Ideal shelter for above tree line use in the Wind Rivers
May 14, 10:05am

Re: Re: This went dumb fast
I don't want to call anyone out or embarrass anyone. Do a search on BPL stoves and take a close look at most of the stoves in use in the field. Then go search some of the blogs of the "...

In GEAR » Hikin Jim's "Dry Out West" Stove Article at GG
May 14, 10:04am

Re: Re: Re: Re: Initial reactions to the Fusion
It would be interesting to find out for sure. My ULA Circuit, which had a slanted cut on the water bottle pocket was fine carrying a water bottle. But the Plays would fall out when hiking. One of t...

In GEAR » SMD fusion 65
May 14, 9:53am

Re: OK umbrella peeps...let me have it!
I don't get umbrellas and I could make a long list of negatives. But I have never used one -- even in town. So there might be a long list of pros. But it would provide portable shade; don...

In GEAR » OK umbrella peeps...let me have it!
May 14, 9:47am

Re: poncho
Keep in mind that most ponchos are big enough to fit over a huge pack and then go down to your knees.Bob's methods work and so does a waist cord. My zPacks poncho/ground sheet is the perfect si...

In GEAR » The never ending search for alternative rain gear
May 14, 9:40am

Re: But Seriously ...
Art there has been almost no information. A lot of serious damage. This was a hot fire. PCT to Tahquitz area? I wouldn't be surprised if it is 10+ years. Also a long time for the Laws/Caramba a...

In Pre-Trip Planning » SoCal, Idyllwild, PCT, Palm Springs, San Bernardino National Forest
May 14, 9:35am

Re: Lightroom Tutorial?
For $20 I found this eBook to be extremely helpful. Plus there are additional tips on organizing photos, backup strategies, etc. http://craftandvision.com/products/lightroom-4-unmasked

In Photography » Lightroom Tutorial?
May 14, 9:31am

Re: Unemployed?
"I just saw Cody at Fry's grocery store yesterday. I thought about asking him if he was there to fill out an application but decided not to. He's a lot bigger than me." I haven...

In Chaff » Discovery Channel Fires Cody Lundin.
May 14, 1:46am

Re: Training Thoughts- Approaching First Long Hike
Of course the best thing is to backpack often to be in shape to backpack. The biggest thing is going to be the elevation gains and altitude. This is how I get ready for these kinds of trips (co...

In Philosophy & Technique » Training Thoughts- Approaching First Long Hike
May 14, 1:23am

Re: Yet Another Satellite Texting Device - "Text Anywhere"
I hate texting

In GEAR » Yet Another Satellite Texting Device - "Text Anywhere"
May 14, 1:11am

All Reader Reviews by Nick Gatel

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

BPL Beartooth Merino Wool Hoody
Cool enough in 82F weather, warm in cool weather. Hood replaces light cap and light baclava. One piece of gear replaces several single items! Sizing is not 'standard.' But... if you review ...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - WOOL
March 09, 11:38pm

ULA Equipment
5/5 It seems that from earlier reviews, ULA has solved the communication issues with the addition of Casey to the staff, which must have solved that void. Not only was the communication great (t...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 23, 1:49am