Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Nick Gatel (ngatel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me Started backpacking in the 1960's and still going strong.
CityPalm Springs
StateCA
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://www.popupbackpacker.com
My PDF Gear ListSub 4 lb

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Nick Gatel

Showing 151 - 160 of 5717 | Page: 1 ...7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ...572

Forum » Thread

Re: Hiking Condensation-free in Rain
I have hiked for hours in this zPacks poncho with no interior sweating. It is waterproof. It really is too short and my shorts get wet and uncomfortable in a cold rain. I have supplemented it w...

In GEAR » Hiking Condensation-free in Rain
January 21, 6:18pm

Re: Lightweight in the 50's
Great post, Charles!

In GEAR » UL ideas that Died
January 21, 6:06pm

Re: Re: Lightweight in the 50's
John, My son's kit is a lot heavier than mine too :) Most of those externals were over 3lbs. However there were department store packs that had plain webbing for shoulder straps and hip b...

January 21, 6:05pm

Re: UL ideas that Died
I don't think the ideas really die, just the materials change. How about my 1.75 oz canteen stove (solid fuel, alcohol, or wood)? I used this in the early 70's. My pot was an 8 ounce can...

January 21, 3:07pm

Re: LA Times Coverage
I remember that story when it happened. About the same time another moron took off from the Banning, CA airport in a single engine plane and decided to do "touch and go's" on the trai...

In SuperUltraLight (SUL) Backpacking Discussion » The Era of Lighter-Than-Air Backpacking is Here!
January 19, 10:36pm

Re: AquaMira drops
I have a few Platys and two 64 ounce Gatorade bottles that have used for 7 or 8 years. I have treated hundreds of liters water in these containers with CL02 tablets. Yes, there is a slight odor -- ...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » AquaMira drops
January 19, 10:21pm

Re: What interesting gear have you found on the trail?
This weekend I found an old tobacco tin on a remote slope in Anza Borrego. I have never seen another person in this area, it is rarely hiked. It was one of the slender ones with a flip top lid,...

In GEAR » What interesting gear have you found on the trail?
January 19, 10:02pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Doug & beer
I am not going to drink Dom Perignon out of a plastic bottle, nor if it has been frozen and thawed. So... I am not going to take it backpacking ;)

In Philosophy & Technique » UL Refrigerator
January 19, 9:44pm

Re: SMD Gatewood Cape Questions
I think the SMD Wild Oasis is the same size as the Gatewood. I am 5'11" and I barely fit without touching the ends at night. Shelters like this are prone to a lot of condensation; even wit...

In GEAR » SMD Gatewood Cape Questions
January 19, 9:41pm

Re: Do Electronics Really Belong in the Wilderness ? !
Technology Maybe Killing Wilderness"

In Philosophy & Technique » Do Electronics Really Belong in the Wilderness ? !
January 19, 11:49am

All Reader Reviews by Nick Gatel

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

BPL Beartooth Merino Wool Hoody
Cool enough in 82F weather, warm in cool weather. Hood replaces light cap and light baclava. One piece of gear replaces several single items! Sizing is not 'standard.' But... if you review ...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - WOOL
March 09, 11:38pm

ULA Equipment
5/5 It seems that from earlier reviews, ULA has solved the communication issues with the addition of Casey to the staff, which must have solved that void. Not only was the communication great (t...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 23, 1:49am