BPL Community Profile

Nick Gatel (ngatel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me Started backpacking in the 1960's and still going strong.
CityPalm Springs
StateCA
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://www.popupbackpacker.com
My PDF Gear ListSub 4 lb

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Nick Gatel

Showing 151 - 160 of 5371 | Page: 1 ...7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ...538

Forum » Thread

Re: Trash cleaned up
I suspect the ads are done via Google. As I understand it, Google looks at your browser history and places ads based on that. Last week I checked a couple items on Home Depot's website. My a...

In Website & Forum Admin/Support » Ads are back for Lifetime Member
March 08, 8:55am

Re: zpacks
Joe started out in the fringe niche of UL. A lot of Cuben, and the really thin stuff. A lot of his early customers understood the limits of the gear and the need to be gentle with it. Over time he ...

In GEAR » ZPacks™ Pointy Hat
March 06, 11:55pm

Re: Full Version in iPad
On my iPad... If it is oriented in landscape it always shows the "desktop" version no matter if I toggle between the desktop version or mobile version at the lower left of the page. It...

In Website & Forum Admin/Support » Full Version in iPad
March 06, 11:10pm

Re: Re: Re: Modular Pack idea, anyone seen anything like this?
IMO and experience, things hanging out in the open are subject to shrubs, branches, tree limbs, boulders, cacti, and all sorts of mean nasty stuff just waiting to grab your gear and rip it apart.

In Make Your Own Gear » Modular Pack idea, anyone seen anything like this?
March 06, 11:02pm

Re: Re: Svea
"Nick, have you ever considered leading guided tours of your garage?" There is so much stuff in it, I need a guide to find stuff. My wife wishes we could park our vehicles in it.

In GEAR » Cold weather cooking - stove choices
March 06, 8:49pm

Re: Modular Pack idea, anyone seen anything like this?
In theory it sounds good. But as Dave pointed out, it would be hard to actually save weight. After a while you would probably find the "fiddle factor" would make you inefficient in pac...

In Make Your Own Gear » Modular Pack idea, anyone seen anything like this?
March 06, 8:47pm

Re: re:
I would never try to convert my wife to anything. If she really, really wanted to go backpacking that would be great. But she isn't interested. She is still the best wife a man could have IMO.

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Converting my wife
March 06, 8:22pm

Re: Huh? zPacks
I've had a Zero, a Hexamid, a Kilt, and Poncho Groundsheet for 2.5 years. The pack has 2 water bottle pockets and a pad holder. The shelter came with a carbon fiber pole, which I replaced with ...

In GEAR » ZPacks™ Pointy Hat
March 06, 8:20pm

Svea
As I said earlier, not the greatest winter stove but I never had a problem getting to work in cold weather. I have owned two of them for over 40 years. One is dedicated to a Sigg Tourist set an...

March 06, 7:24pm

Re: Re: Re: Cold weather cooking - stove choices
Hi Nick > I keep reading about the field failures and taking out filters and replacing them > with toilet paper, A shade unfair. The 'light Korean/Chinese canister stoves' are ac...

March 06, 6:59pm

All Reader Reviews by Nick Gatel

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

BPL Beartooth Merino Wool Hoody
Cool enough in 82F weather, warm in cool weather. Hood replaces light cap and light baclava. One piece of gear replaces several single items! Sizing is not 'standard.' But... if you review ...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - WOOL
March 09, 11:38pm

ULA Equipment
5/5 It seems that from earlier reviews, ULA has solved the communication issues with the addition of Casey to the staff, which must have solved that void. Not only was the communication great (t...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 23, 1:49am