BPL Community Profile

Thomas Burns (nerdboy52) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale "Alas, poor Yogi.I knew him well."
About Me English professor at Ohio Wesleyan University, Director of Perkins Observatory

Words to live by: "Alas, poor Yogi. I knew him, Horatio. He was a bear of infinite appetite. So they shot him."

More words to live by: "Yeah, I'm a nerd. Want to make something of it . . . punk?" ;vD

Even more words to live by:
Solvitur ambulando.
"it is solved by walking."
St. Augustine
CityColumbus
StateOH
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListShoulder season gear list 2

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Thomas Burns

Showing 151 - 160 of 823 | Page: 1 ...7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ...83

Forum » Thread

TR's!
IMO, "Waterproof" boots don't keep your feet dry. Once your feet sweat (and they will underneath non-permiable waterproof boots), they stay wet. Once you ford a deep water crossing, y...

In GEAR » Footwear - waterproof boots v. fast drying trail running shoes.
July 07, 3:44pm

Space in the right direction
Another reason I like this stuff: There's room, presumably for your sleeping bag to expand into the spaces between the holes, thus providing heat-trapping loft in a direction you don't n...

In Make Your Own Gear » 2oz pad
July 05, 12:07pm

A bear story
I'm just back, having hiked about 70 miles in the Cranberry Backcountry in West Virginia, and a single encounter with a black bear and her cub defined the trip for me. I hiked most of the P...

In Chaff » A bear story
July 04, 12:59pm

Sump digger
Discovered another use for the trowel this weekend. Water was hard to come by, so I had to dig a sump with my "Original" trowel where there was a little trickle of water. The hole filled ...

In Gear Deals » They're back again: The lightest cathole trowels on the planet ! Titanium, two sizes
June 26, 7:06am

Cheap beer
In Ohio, the litterer's beer of choice is Bud Lite - it's a cheap high. Natty Light is a close second, followed by Busch. Personally, I prefer stove fuel (Everclear) repackaged in 8 oz. wa...

In Philosophy & Technique » Why do A-holes drink light beer?
June 26, 12:19am

Shock cord
>There was a light shock-cord to help keep them on. Good idea! Stargazer

In GEAR » Ultra SUL film sunglasses
June 24, 7:44am

What can I say . . .
. . . "Dork" is my middle name. I just bought half a dozen of them. ;-) Stargazer

June 23, 12:05pm

Integral Designs Logan Vest
PM sent.

In Gear Swap » Integral Designs Logan Vest!!!!
June 23, 5:57am

Ultra SUL film sunglasses
My wife had an eye checkup yesterday, and the opthamologist gave her a disposable pair of plastic-film, frameless sunglasses that consist of a piece of curled plastic that wraps around the eyes and...

June 22, 8:16pm

Re: Foldable
Gad zukes! I want this stuff! Stargazer

In Make Your Own Gear » 2oz pad
June 22, 8:51am

All Reader Reviews by Thomas Burns

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

FlexAir Pillow Dual Compartment Ultralight
>I think I'll stick with my Wal-Mart water wing pillow, which is about a third the price, a little lighter, and just as comfy if wrapped in my fleece jacket. Yo, Michael. Always looking for ...

In Miscellaneous Products
October 11, 11:18am

Fanatic Fringe Thompson Peak
Ditto to the above review. I added a top compression cord by tying a short length of cord to the upper drawcord, looping it over the top, and connecting it to the lifting strap loop with a small carab...

In Backpacks - Frameless
May 14, 6:13am