BPL Community Profile

Miles Barger (milesbarger) - BPL Professional Member

My Locale West Virginia
About Me I was a guide for many years in Yellowstone, Denali, and Black Canyon of the Gunnison. Moved to Eugene, Oregon, for my Master's and got a good taste of the PNW. Now I'm in West Virginia making maps for all of our wonderful national parks with the NPS Publications program at Harpers Ferry Center.
CityCharles Town
StateWest Virginia
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://milesbarger.com
My PDF Gear ListDownload my Gear List (PDF)

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Miles Barger

Showing 151 - 160 of 302 | Page: 1 ...7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ...31

Forum » Thread

Beards
The only problem I've had with having a big beard: getting it caught in zippers. Ouch!

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Hair today....
March 02, 3:16pm

Not a problem
I have fairly long hair (picture) and haven't found this to be a problem. I wear a Tilley LTM6 (7 7/8"), Patagonia Outer Dome, and/or keep it back with various things. But I do tend to ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Hair today....
February 28, 7:08pm

Hike idea
An idea for a hike (view the park map): Sand Ramp Trail to Upper Sand Creek Lake (add on a climb of the peaks if you'd like) to Medano Lake (off trail) to Little Medano Creek where it mee...

In Post-Trip Reports » 20090224 Great Sand Dunes National Park and Preserve
February 28, 6:38pm

20090224 Great Sand Dunes National Park and Preserve
Text, pictures, video.

In Post-Trip Reports » 20090224 Great Sand Dunes National Park and Preserve
February 28, 2:59pm

Montbell Peak Shell
My review on BPL.

In GEAR » Help choosing a new rainjacket
February 14, 11:01am

G9
For those wondering about the output of Canon's G series, I've used a G9 since January 2008. These are the results. Yes, the high megapixel:sensor size ratio produces a fair bit of noise...

In Editor's Roundtable » Sigma DP1 Review
February 11, 10:48am

Rab Neutrino Endurance
Got a Rab Neutrino Endurance for a steal: $213. I both thank and curse you.

In Gear Deals » Big Discounts at prolitgear.com
February 01, 11:10pm

Ohm
Seems like there's a good chance it'll be replaced by the Ohm, which sounds like an Amp+suspension system. Brian's been working on it a long time, and notes on his FAQ that it's com...

In GEAR » updating or dropping the AMP ?
January 24, 7:11pm

Top 3
MLD Zip - It's been replaced by the more durable Exodus, but my first generation Zip was tough enough to function as my day and overnight pack for a full season of on- and off-trail guiding in ...

In Editor's Roundtable » 2008 Backpacking Light Staff Picks
December 17, 3:47pm

Thanks
Craig: I'm going it alone. Wish I had a trip buddy, but, alas, no one else in my life is as big of a bum as me right now. Some of my favorite moments have been out camping with friends (defini...

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » Trip Help: WA, OR, CA, AZ, UT in winter
November 02, 11:12pm

All Reader Reviews by Miles Barger

Showing 1 - 8 of 8 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Montbell Peak Shell
I was a guide in Denali NP during the summer of 2008. It rained almost every day for all of July and the first week of August this year, and I was out in it all day, every day. My MontBell Peak She...

In Clothing - Raingear
February 14, 10:59am

Darn Tough Vermont Socks Customer Service
I bought two pair of Darn Tough's 1/4 Mesh Merino socks in size Large on closeout at an internet retailer. After wearing one pair for a short, 8-mile hike, a hole formed by the big toe on my righ...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
May 02, 5:51pm

Bent Gate Moutaineering Customer Service
Bent Gate Mountaineering I ordered a Western Mountaineering Summerlite from them. The price was very good, the item shipped quickly, and the bag arrived just...

February 19, 12:11pm

ULA Equipment
This review is really a 4.5. Brian has always thoughtfully and informatively responded to my emails. His products are absolutely top notch, and I have no doubt that he would stand firmly behind hi...

February 18, 12:21pm

Marmot Ion
Man, what a disappointment. I, too, got stuck with the Campmor version of the Ion. I'm quite thin and short-waisted, so the Ion's athletic cut and short length were great for me. The fit of...

In Clothing - Wind & Soft Shell
February 18, 12:15pm

Gossamer Gear
I've ordered a handful of pads and small items from Gossamer Gear. The products have always shipped out the next day, I've been kept up to date with good emails, and things have always arrive...

February 18, 12:10pm

ULA H2O Amigo
I've owned the H20 Amigo for about one year, with most of my use concentrated in Yellowstone and the Tetons during the summer of 2006. When I'm by myself, I tend to stick to AquaMira becaus...

In Hydration - Water Treatment
February 18, 12:06pm

Grand Prairie Knives Customer Service
Grand Prairie Knives I bought a Gerber Microlight LST from the site. The price was great. I entered an incorrect digit when putting in my credit card info. ...

February 17, 2:53pm