BPL Community Profile

Ken Bennett (ken_bennett) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale southeastern usa
About Me Hiker, photographer, etc.
Statenorth carolina

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Ken Bennett

Showing 151 - 160 of 667 | Page: 1 ...7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ...67

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: Freezing Rain
"Cold is better than 40 C with 90% RH!" Now you're talking about late summer around here.... Heh. Totally agree with you.

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Freezing Rain
February 07, 10:26am

Re: pullover or full jacket for a down piece
I had a nice pullover down piece from Patagonia. With a hood and a big pass-thru pocket, it was great for wearing around camp. However, I eventually sold it because I found a full-zip jacket was mo...

In GEAR » pullover or full jacket for a down piece
February 05, 10:26am

Re: drawstring v. rolltop
"is the rolltop more waterproof. why does everyone like the drawstring better? just curious." I had a rolltop pack - the SMD Starlite - that implemented the roll top like a kayaking ...

In GEAR » Ohm vs. Circuit
February 02, 11:09am

Re: Freezing Rain
Yes. Hiking in freezing rain is a common occurrence in the winter in the Southern Appalachians. Often the precipitation will change from rain to freezing rain to snow, and then back again as one cl...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Freezing Rain
February 01, 3:18pm

Re: synth
"- synth does stink after a while ... but a quick wash and wring will solve that issue ..." Man I wish this were true. I wonder how much of the odor problem has to do with individual...

In GEAR » Maybe not wool
January 25, 8:03pm

Re: Do you NEED a synthetic bag to hike the Appalachian trail?
No, a Megalite is a fine bag for the Appalachians in my experience. I use it as my 3-season bag. Yes, it's a little warm in the middle of summer, but works okay in quilt mode. Humidity has not ...

In GEAR » Do you NEED a synthetic bag for hike the Appalachian trail?
January 25, 6:02am

Re: Re: Wind shirt school
Hey, Ty Ty, I hike in the Southern Appalachians, and love me a good wind shirt. I have a Patagonia Houdini (pricey - wait for a sale) and an LL Bean wind shirt (really!) that I love because it'...

In GEAR » School me on wind shirts...
January 19, 6:19pm

Re: How do you store/organize your gear?
Yeah, that's a problem here, too. I have car camping gear stored in the garage, an entire closet in the basement full of backpacking gear, another closet in the guest room full of backpacking g...

In GEAR » How do you store/organize your gear?
January 13, 6:33am

Re: Re: Re: G1 X
All I can say is that I see this all the time here on our college campus. Hold the DSLR out at arms length to shoot.... And don't get me started on the lens hood mounted backwards on the lens. ...

In Photography » Pick me a camera
January 10, 6:48am

Re: G1 X
Most people who buy an entry level DSLR never remove the kit zoom lens. Nor do they make any use of the optical viewfinder -- as ludicrous as it looks, they hold their Canon Rebel out at arms lengt...

In Photography » Pick me a camera
January 09, 5:51pm

All Reader Reviews by Ken Bennett

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Photon Freedom Micro (White)
The newest version is the Photon Freedom To The Max, which uses some sort of new technology in the LED that doubles brightness while not using any more battery power. Nice. The Doug Ritter edition ...

In Lights - Flashlights & Headlamps
January 17, 6:10pm

Marmot Ion
I just received my Marmot Ion jacket from Campmor, and I agree with the two most recent posts. I don't think it's sil-nylon, exactly, but my hiking test had water beading up on the inside whil...

In Clothing - Wind & Soft Shell
January 17, 6:04pm