BPL Community Profile

Jim MacDiarmid (jrmacd) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Jim MacDiarmid hasn't told us about their geographical region yet.
About Me Jim MacDiarmid has not added a biography yet.
CityNYC
StateNY
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListGeneric Winter Gear List

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Jim MacDiarmid

Showing 151 - 160 of 1076 | Page: 1 ...7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ...108

Forum » Thread

Re: Tahoe Rim Trail early October
Thanks for the heads up on the campground near Tahoe Meadows(Mt Rose?) I was actually planning on stopping there. I guess I'll stay somewhere in Tahoe Meadows. My understanding though is that...

In Gear Lists » Tahoe Rim Trail early October
September 12, 7:43pm

Sleeping Cool?
It does help if you sleep cool instead By sleeping cool, this means not using a bag overly warm for conditions( a -10*F bag in 10*F temperatures), thereby preventing excessive sweating? As ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Winter camping=damp bag. Why?
September 10, 7:37am

Re: I am going solo but?
I'm just curious since I'm not familiar with the area, but what sort of bad things can happen? Anything different from a normal hike; injury, sickness, getting lost etc? I'm going...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » I am going solo but?
September 01, 12:31pm

Re: Re: Maps not matching up
I'm glad I posted this; I can accept that there's slop in maps, I just didn't realize there was. I guess I was sort of technology-blinded in this case; I assumed with GPS and what ...

In GEAR » Maps not matching up
September 01, 6:28am

Maps not matching up
I started planning my Tahoe Rim Trail Hike using the National Geographic Tahoe Basin map. I planned out my days all the way around, and came up about 5 miles short of the TRT Associations 165 offi...

In GEAR » Maps not matching up
August 31, 8:03pm

Comparing warmth
Have a look at this chart by Richard Nisley. There's a lot of science and it's helpful to read all the follow-up posts, but at a glance it gives you an idea of how some of the jackets you ...

In GEAR » MB Thermawrap vs Ex-light/UL Down inner vs Alpine Light
August 31, 10:53am

Re: Beginner backpack for a beginner backpacker
I have a bad habit of spending my way in to a new pursuit. If you've spent any time on Gear Swap, you can see that your problem is not ucommon to the rest of us. It's so exhilirating...

In GEAR » Beginner backpack for a beginner backpacker
August 31, 9:28am

Re: Beginner backpack for a beginner backpacker
+1 to what Christ said about knowing the size of the rest of your kit before settling for good on a pack. Like you, I discovered BPL shortly after I got back into backpacking a couple years ago, a...

In GEAR » Beginner backpack for a beginner backpacker
August 31, 6:38am

Re: Durability of BPL UL Merino under Pack Straps+ back sweat management
You might know this, since you are thinking of getting the BPL UL Merino over the Smartwool Microweight, but the Smartwool microweight is the same 150 gram/m wool as the BPL Beartooth, vs the 115 g...

In GEAR » Durability of BPL UL Merino under Pack Straps
August 30, 6:31pm

Re: 30 Degree 3 Season Sleeping Bag Recommendations
Westerning Mountaineering sells 5'6" models in the Summerlite, Highlite, and Megalite. Montbell, while they make nice bags, only come in 6" lengths, which means you're carrying a...

In GEAR » 30 Degree 3 Season Sleeping Bag Recommendations
August 30, 4:12pm

All Reader Reviews by Jim MacDiarmid

Showing 1 - 1 of 1 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Gossamer Gear
I ordered a Gorilla backpack from Gossamer Gear. It's my first venture into UL packs. I ordered a medium, and after trying it on for a few days and not finding it completely comfortable, I worri...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
April 15, 5:39pm