Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

James Klein (jnklein21) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale Southeast
About Me James Klein has not added a biography yet.
StateTN
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by James Klein

Showing 151 - 160 of 463 | Page: 1 ...7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ...47

Forum » Thread

talk me out of it.
Look at the stoic hadron...8oz, currently $125 and ugly as sin. http://www.backcountry.com/stoic-hadron-down-anorak-mens I have never been in cold enough weather to require wearing insulation w...

In GEAR » New MH ghost whisperer down jacket, 7oz
September 02, 7:23pm

Re: Re: Re: A little hair-splitting
"most of the heat given off by one's body is carried away through conduction or convection, no?" Once we start talking up %'s of heat loss by mode, the figures become very situ...

In Make Your Own Gear » Down + Space blanket = ???
September 01, 8:07pm

Re: A little hair-splitting
Colin, you are correct. For a warm body in a colder environment the clothing will always send more heat back to you than it will away from you bc of the temperature gradient. On first reading, ...

August 31, 12:08pm

Re: Re: tent
Re: venitation.... I imagine there are conditions where increased ventilation makes condensation worse -- especially with a tarp. I imagine a large A-frame tarp set up under clear sky. If it...

In GEAR » condensation in zpacks hexamid
August 30, 11:58am

Re: tent
Does your hexamid have a netting floor? Also, did you use a groundsheet? If not then that could have contributed to the difference btw yours and your friends by letting more ground moisture to th...

August 30, 11:47am

Re: Reflection Versus Vapor Barrier
"Something like 95% of your radiated heat (what the mylar in the space blanket actually reflects) is absorbed by your clothing" Absorbed AND then emitted back, apprx half back to your ...

August 30, 9:48am

Re: condensation in zpacks hexamid
To better handle the spray, I would use a sleeping bag cover / bivy. Maybe you could just use a light nylon "sheet" (like out of .7oz/sqyd stuff). Course even with this your wife would ...

August 30, 8:58am

Re: Cuben fiber failure? Any updates since 2008?
Franco, its not always so simple. Nylon expands when wet AND it losses elasticity when wet...I have seen (somewhere) that nylon will stretch twice as much for the same load with ~2% water absorp...

In GEAR » Cuben fiber failure? Any updates since 2008?
August 28, 3:34pm

Re: Re: to those that are worried about how cuben fiber holds up in the wind
David Olson's .51cf vs 1.3oz silnylon test: http://blog.owareusa.com/2012/01/16/cuben-fiber-and-silnylon-pull-test/ Here is one by Joe Valesco from zpacks: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8...

In GEAR » Cuben fiber failure? Any updates since 2008?
August 28, 2:36pm

Re: condensation in WR bivvy is worse (!!?) than WPB one??
Once the outermost fabric surface is at or below freezing...breathability of the bivy fabric makes no difference. Water vapor will condense before it can pass thru. Once the outer layer of sl...

In GEAR » condensation in WR bivvy is worse (!!?) than WPB one??
August 28, 9:49am

All Reader Reviews by James Klein

Showing 1 - 1 of 1 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Antig Outdoors Antig Outdoors
I recently purchased some mechandise from Anig outdoors and noticed there was no review, so here goes... I learned of the site from some of member Jeff Antig's posts (guessing he's the owne...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 01, 6:42pm