BPL Community Profile

Jim W. (jimqpublic) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale So-Cal
About Me 46 years old. Married with two kids- Daughter born in 2000, son born in 2003. Loved camping as a little kid. Then we moved to the foot of Mt. Whitney when I was 13. I spent my teenage years backpacking, hiking, snowshoeing, xc & downhill skiing. A lot less since then (living in LA).

Jim
StateCalifornia
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear List2009 solo & family gear

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Jim W.

Showing 151 - 160 of 876 | Page: 1 ...7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ...88

Forum » Thread

Re: Why the bus?
I wanted to do the whole trail in one continuous trip. I had done a bunch of pieces before. I also remembered seeing the "Mt. Whitney 211 Miles" sign when I was about 8. I had been amazed...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » JMT reasonable time needed
February 12, 9:40pm

Re: John Muir Trail first-timer
Re: Cooking- Have you ever gone a week without hot food or drink? Personally I'd have no big problem skipping hot food but hot drinks are another story. Re: Muir Trail Ranch access- The q...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » John Muir Trail first-timer
February 12, 10:23am

Parents: Are you doing all you can to raise a hiking buddy?
I realize that while I sneak off for solo dayhikes, surf the web for the latest gear, etc., I'm not doing all I can to raise hiking buddies. We car camp a fair amount and do some day hikes and...

In Philosophy & Technique » Parents: Are you doing all you can to raise a hiking buddy?
February 10, 5:31pm

Cub Scout lightweight show and tell.
I'm a Bear Cub Scout den leader. I'm also our pack camping coordinator this year- and feel bad for only doing two campouts this season. Our next trip is planned for April and I wanted to ...

In Backpacking Light with Scouts » Cub Scout lightweight show and tell.
February 10, 5:20pm

Re: Keeping water bottles on your shoulder straps
Me too. I have a bungee rig similar to the one described above- consists of thin bungee cord and a cordlock. Use it with a 20 oz. water bottle and a straw. This rig is so much simpler and lighte...

In GEAR » Keeping water bottles on your shoulder straps
February 10, 4:24pm

Fabrics: Longevity vs. Recycleability
Pulled off the Patagonia web site today: "There’s a reason that ‘recycling’ comes last in the mantra: Reduce, Repair, Reuse, Recycle. Recycling is what we do when we're out of op...

In Editor's Roundtable » Storm Resistance of Ultralight Shelters: Part 1, Introduction
February 10, 3:09pm

Outdoor Research Pack Hoody
OR Pack Hoody looks like an appealing design for keeping your pack, back panel, and shoulder straps dry. Weighs 7.4 oz/ 208 g so must be fairly heavy fabric. http://www.outdoorresearch.com/en/o...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Freezing Rain
February 08, 2:41pm

Re: Purpose of Jetboil plastic shroud.
The reason I was playing around with it was to work on a supplemental windshield to keep the canister warm in cold weather (not too warm!). I'm concerned that the plastic piece might get too h...

In GEAR » Jetboil Sol question.
February 08, 2:28pm

DWR for non-dwr nylon pants?
DWR for non-dwr nylon pants? I have a few different pair of nylon pants- fabrics from about 3 osy to maybe 8 osy that I use for hiking or camp wear. Only one had DWR and it's long gone. No...

In GEAR » DWR for non-dwr nylon pants?
February 08, 2:24pm

Purpose of Jetboil plastic shroud.
The plastic ring does three or four things: 1: Place to grab to separate the pot from stove. The "bayonet" twist lock connection between pot and stove can be a little sticky so you ne...

In GEAR » Jetboil Sol question.
February 08, 1:49pm

All Reader Reviews by Jim W.

Showing 1 - 5 of 5 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Six Moon Designs StarLite
I purchased the SMD Starlight with hip belt pockets and frame stays for a 2008 hike of the John Muir Trail. Currently it has about 5 weeks of backpacking use. Weight is per spec at just under 2 po...

In Backpacks - Frameless
January 30, 11:19am

Black Diamond Equipment Customer Service
First, I'll say that usually before you call Customer Service of an equipment manufacturer it means something has gone wrong. This wasn't true for me at all- I contacted them for advice on wh...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 11, 5:06pm

Nike Lava Dome
My original Lava Domes lasted me several years- Wearing to school, mountain biking, hiking, working as a land surveyor. I remember carrying 5 pound Asolo boots in my pack as I wore the Lava Domes wa...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
April 02, 4:40pm

Jetboil Personal Cooking System
4.5/5 for overall performance/weight. I bought a Jetboil PCS last summer and used it for testing at home, a two week solo trip, and during a few family day hikes. I love the system compared to...

In Stoves - Canister
March 05, 2:10pm

Sierra Trading Post (STP) web shopping and service
I've been shopping with STP for at least 20 years. The web made this sort of business much easier to shop. Prices are almost always great. Being closeouts, overstocks, and 2nds you have to ke...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
May 22, 2:48pm