BPL Community Profile

Lucas Boyer (jhawkwx) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale 38.97˚N, 95.26˚W
About Me Having been a backpacker off and on since the early 90's when a trip to Philmont infected me w/ the bug, I have transitioned over to a lighter kit. My first encounter with UL backpacking was some CDT thru-hikers I met in New Mexico. I went home and combed the web, found BPL, and the rest is history. Right now, I'm between jobs, working at a local running shop and have been doing a little freelance writing, hoping to find a voice for a writing career perhaps. Previously, I have obtained a meteorology degree and master's degree in secondary educ.
CityLawrence
StateKS
CountryUnited States
My Website URLhttp://www.hobohiker.wordpress.com
My PDF Gear ListOHT Gear List

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Lucas Boyer

Showing 151 - 160 of 201 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

Forum » Thread

fwiw
This reminds me of a quilt-inspired bivy, with the velcro holding the bottom together. Getting in would be best accomplished by sitting on pad and sliding bivy onto feet and climbing in. Getting o...

In Make Your Own Gear » Perfect bivy?
October 27, 7:54am

costco socks
I've hiked them in conjunction w/ a liner sock and find them to be a little thick and they just don't breath that well. Make a good pair of sleeping socks though. My $.02

In Gear Deals » Merino Wool Sweater
October 26, 8:56pm

Thanks
Jamie, that helps. I don't like the idea of the one item for warmth, but rather prefer to build a system like you have. I have been using my Patagonia Rainshadow w/ a 200wt fleece pullover comb...

In Make Your Own Gear » MYOG Gear List
October 26, 8:49pm

Kinsman
Jamie, what kind of temps are you expecting to endure w/ your Kinsman? Without getting into a highly subjective debate, I'm exploring insulating layers and don't care much for the price of ...

In Make Your Own Gear » MYOG Gear List
October 26, 8:32am

re: lines
Justin, the simplest way is like you've described; put a loop on the stake end of your line and run a taut line hitch for the tarp end of your line. If you want to get fancy and add a marginal ...

In Make Your Own Gear » tarptent newbie question
October 26, 7:51am

Re: cost
I bought mine in June and it came to $169 after shipping. It doesn't have the foam pad either.

In Gear Swap » ULA OHM for sale
October 23, 12:38pm

Foil Heat Blanket
Ran a marathon on Saturday. As always, I kept my thermal foil blanket. Turns out they gave me 2 stuck together. These things are magical for wrapping around cold shoulders and trapping heat. A coup...

In Make Your Own Gear » Super Ultra Light / Super Ultra Cheap
October 19, 10:44am

You know you've been in the MYOG Forum too much when....
This is what BPL/MYOG does to one's shopping habits. I don't go in to a store any longer w/o perusing the shelves for potential UL and Cheap projects. Went to the vacuum cleaner shop for a ...

In Make Your Own Gear » Super Ultra Light / Super Ultra Cheap
October 16, 8:12am

WTB: BPL Stix/GG Lightrek's 130 cm
Before I pull the trigger on a new set. Anybody have a pair to unload? Thanks.

In Gear Swap » WTB: BPL Stix/GG Lightrek's 130 cm
October 16, 8:04am

Potted Meat Ingredients
Ingredients: Dogfood/Catfood leftovers, Salt Nutritional Info: Sodium Content-Don't Ask

In Make Your Own Gear » Cat Can Stove
October 14, 9:07am

All Reader Reviews by Lucas Boyer

Lucas Boyer has posted no reviews.