Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

John Whynot (jdw01776) - BPL Guest

My Locale Southeast Texas
About Me Hiking and backpacking (on and off) since 1976, mainly in the northeastern United States.
CityHouston
StateTX
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by John Whynot

Showing 151 - 160 of 557 | Page: 1 ...7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ...56

Forum » Thread

Re: "Pop Bottle (ie Smartwater bottle) ring, to attach to a carabiner
@Mary -- I've used the caps off of an Evernew water bladder. There is also Mike C's tip of carrying an extra cap...

In GEAR » Pop Bottle (ie Smartwater bottle) ring, to attach to a carabiner
December 28, 8:49pm

Re: Advanced Titanium Crampons
Very impressive. I like the colors -- it looks like traditional color case hardened steel...

In Make Your Own Gear » Advanced Titanium Crampons
December 08, 7:36pm

Re: My Paleo
"Longer term goal is to lose 30-40 pounds by mid-August." Don't be suprised if you lose more. Paleo plus interval/circut training worked for me. I recommend getting a copy of "...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » My Paleo
December 04, 5:43pm

Re: Maroon Bells Snowmass Wilderness
Enjoyed your trip report. After the bear attacks near Aspen this year, I didn't do my annual solo trip to the Maroon Bells Snowmass Wilderness, so I've been experiencing it vicariously. I&#...

In Post-Trip Reports » Maroon Bells Snowmass Wilderness
October 30, 7:38am

Re: Inov8 Roclite 295...I think they nailed it.
I have a pair of the Terroc 330s and a pair of Roclite 295s. Both are the same size, and use the same last, but the 295 is noticeably roomier in the toe box. I've only used the 330s for backpac...

In GEAR » Inov8 Roclite 295...I think they nailed it.
October 16, 2:25pm

Re: Northville-Placid Trail: From Past to Present
Thank you for the great trip report. I'm planning on hiking this trail next summer -- now I have a very good idea of what to expect. I'm not sure that the dam that created Duck Hole will ac...

In Post-Trip Reports » Northville-Placid Trail: From Past to Present
October 07, 7:24pm

Re: Snowshoe length/size for mainly New England
It's been awhile since I've used snowshoes, but you need to consider the type of terrain. I'd worry less about float, and more about the ability to climb steep slopes and maneuver in th...

In GEAR » Snowshoe length/size for mainly New England
October 04, 7:55pm

Re: Chlorine Dixode pills?
My understanding is that Aqua Mira has a 4 year shelf-life (even opened)...

In Philosophy & Technique » Chlorine Dixode pills?
October 02, 8:36pm

Re: More areas requiring a bear canister in North America?
One of the ranger districts in the White Mountain National Forest in NH, is conducting a pilot program that makes bear canisters available for loan to backpackers.

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » More areas requiring a bear canister in North America?
October 02, 8:18pm

Re: Paleo breakfast for the trail
Try home dehydrated mashed sweet potato. Add walnuts, raisins, and flavor with cinnamon...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Paleo breakfast for the trail
September 29, 10:37am

All Reader Reviews by John Whynot

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

StickPic camera mount
A clever, well-engineered, and lightweight (0.35 ounces by my scale) gadget for mounting a camera on the tip of a trekking pole. Should work with any compact camera with a tripod socket. Works ver...

In Photography - Hiking & Backpacking Cameras
June 16, 10:55am

BPL Thorofare Trekking Pants
I purchased these as a replacement for my overbuilt Montbell Stretch Windpants. The fabric of the Trekking pants is a microgrid ripstop nylon, with a slightly textured inner surface. Size medium...

In Clothing - Raingear
December 07, 8:31pm