BPL Community Profile

Jim Colten (jcolten) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale MN
About Me Jim Colten has not added a biography yet.
My PDF Gear Listtest

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Jim Colten

Showing 151 - 160 of 1854 | Page: 1 ...7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ...186

Forum » Thread

Re: "Bear learns how to crack Garcia cans at Yosemite"
Dean L brought Leopold to this discussion If you don't know who Aldo Leopold was, then I guess we have little left to discuss. Those who don't know but are curious could start with A Fie...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Bear learns how to crack Garcia cans at Yosemite
August 26, 7:32pm

Re: A desert crossing
Y'all remember this thread? Appears that Alastair survived to tell about it: The Empty Quarter Expedition Soon as I saw the title I thought of Wilfred Thesiger's Arabian Sands ... sur...

In Pre-Trip Planning » A desert crossing
August 25, 3:40pm

Re: "A return to the daring days of when people just 'did stuff'."
for no reason. None whatsoever ... You can go and do stuff with your mates that is memorable and challenging Oh-Oh ... you've blown it, failed completely and miserably ... is memorable and...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » "A return to the daring days of when people just 'did stuff'."
August 25, 2:22pm

Re: Greenland
Nice video indeed! Loved the headnet shots;-) But then many places he clearly was not being "bugged" His pack? An ever elusive BPL Arctic Dry Pack or ULA/Epic perhaps?

In Post-Trip Reports » Greenland
August 24, 8:44am

Re: Replace your energy bar with a Cookie!
Another great looking cookie recipe! Thanks Jerry. Hard to have too many of these, I find variety an important element of backcountry eating satisfaction. Make a batch of something, vacuum...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Replace your energy bar with a Cookie!
August 14, 6:52pm

These two creations are usually well received: monster cookies: http://www.cooks.com/recipe/d51lm4qp/monster-cookies.html Hudsons Bay Bread: http://www.holry.org/essays/baybread.html and I&...

August 14, 6:44am

They are insanely calorie dense at 150-160 per ounce That would put them right up there with Girl Scout cookies! (all except Tagalongs (sp?))

August 13, 8:42pm

Re: #7
Name? Number? Doug, I was tempted to send a snarky reply of my own but I didn't want to poach on your domain, he-he About the medical surprise thing, a few stories: 1) at BSA summer camp...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Search and rescue crews warn about online-based groups
August 13, 5:54pm

Re: Wil Rietveld and the OR Show Report
Check out Southwest UL Backpacking - the new website and blog by Will Rietveld and Janet Reichl. New? I found their site about 10 years ago when I first realized that I wasn't the pack mule...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Wil Rietveld and the OR Show Report
August 10, 8:23pm

Re: GPS overestimates distance
Nick said: "I hate technology in the wilderness." As do I ... often don't even take a watch. But then I'm sometimes reminded to challenge myself with questions like "Sinc...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Difference between map and trail distance?
August 09, 4:21pm

All Reader Reviews by Jim Colten

Showing 1 - 3 of 3 | Page: 1

Review

Category

TarpTent
My entry into the world of tarping was with Hernry's orginal squall. Later that year the Cloudburst was introduced. I contacted him about an idea of converting my squall to use an arched front p...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
December 30, 11:04am

Thru-Hiker.com
1) good products 2) friendly and useful help before ans after sale 3) great customer service I'd rate Thru-Hiker a 6 if that was an option

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
December 01, 8:10am

Minibull Designs Pocket Puck
Hector, I had similar experience .... but only the first time I lit it. Since then I've been giving the pocket puck about 15-30 seconds more warmup time and it has always stayed lit. There is a...

In Stoves - Alcohol
October 16, 6:04am