BPL Community Profile

James Marco (jamesdmarco) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Finger Lakes
About Me Backpacker, hiker, cannoer, fisherman, since 1960 or so, now retired. I enjoy being outdoors and vary my gear to match what I am doing, where I am going, and who I am going with. I mostly head into the Adirondacks.
jdm
CityIthaca
StateNew York
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by James Marco

Showing 151 - 160 of 1786 | Page: 1 ...7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ...179

Forum » Thread

Re: DD
Delmar, A lot of what happens with the diamond grinding wheels is they just wear finer. Think of a new extra-fine diamond stone used for honing a chisel. At first it has a few scratches in it wher...

In GEAR » Ultralight Saws
November 27, 7:41am

Re: Two years, and I still have stupid questions.
Stupid Question??? No sech animal... Well, generally no, you don't need to keep them attached. However, not all Lindal valves are created equal. Some do not reseal that well. Some not at all...

In GEAR » Two years, and I still have stupid questions.
November 27, 7:05am

Re: ha
You mean Jon actually carries more than one set of underwear????? Ditch one and save weight!!!

In Editor's Roundtable » Snags with Tags
November 27, 6:44am

Re: Re: Re: Fuel Energy Density
Jeff, Yes. There is always saftey concerns with carrying any type of fuel canister. Some things to consider: Resistance to the materials being contained Temperture(min & max) Expansion a...

In Editor's Roundtable » Lightweight Stove Systems for Group Cooking Part 1: Basic Framework for Selecting A Cooking Pot and Predicting Fuel Needs
November 27, 6:32am

Re: Stephenson 2C Tent Review - Part 1
Having used the 2R for many years, I have found the wind stabilizers to be unnecessary in any forested camp site. I have been through some pretty bad storms (+80mph registered at the local airport,...

In Editor's Roundtable » Stephenson 2C Tent Review - Part 1
November 27, 5:17am

Re: Re: Re: Ultralight Saws
Sorry, David. It never occured to me to take pictures of such a simple way to lighten the saw. I picked up the camera to get a couple, but it is dead...ahh well. I have a new battery on order for C...

November 26, 1:01pm

Re: Re: Recharging CR2032
Yeah, I like the little E+lights a lot. I have several, including the older Tikka, but, could never get used to having that much weight on my head. Anyway, I was reading somewhere (here?) that ligh...

In GEAR » Recharging CR2032
November 26, 6:29am

Re: Ultralight Saws
Well, you covered most of the high-lights. Thick bladed pruning saws don't work that well. Any saw needs a stiff blade to cut effectively. A single mounting point means a thick, stiff blade...

November 26, 5:22am

Re: Re: The Multi-use bind
Yes. That stuff causes all sorts of problems. These are not, in database design lingo, independent. For example, there are no dependencies on using a pad as both a sleeping pad and for a frame in y...

In Multiple Use Gear » The Multi-use bind
November 24, 4:24pm

Re: Fuel Energy Density
Jeff, Yes, pretty much. WG and canister fuel have about the same energy density. Alcohol has far less. I usually use a balance of around 20,500 BTU/lb when checking this. WG has around 19,500 ...

In Editor's Roundtable » Lightweight Stove Systems for Group Cooking Part 1: Basic Framework for Selecting A Cooking Pot and Predicting Fuel Needs
November 24, 7:13am

All Reader Reviews by James Marco

Showing 1 - 5 of 5 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Optimus/Primus? Svea 123R
The SVEA 123r is my standard stove for camping. I have spent about 40 years trying to replace the little beast. No such luck. I have found several different stoves that work well for 2-3 days (alcohol...

In Stoves - White Gas
April 19, 3:40am

Klymit Inertia X Frame
I picked up a Xframe (full size) a couple weeks ago. I took it out for 5 nights last weekend with my daughter, Brenda. I had a good trip but was unimpressed by the pad. I tried various techniques with...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
July 07, 5:16am

gossamer murmur
I have used the old GG G5 pack for well beyond a servicable lifetime. Patching, reinforcing, and repatching...it finaly died and I replaced it with a 2012 Murmur, one of the first off the production l...

In Backpacks - Frameless
December 25, 6:06pm

Trail Designs Caldera Stove
Great little piece of gear. Light, easy to use, miserly on fuel. Keeps the heat in on the pot and does a great job of boiling water. I will complain that it does not let enough heat out sometimes......

In Stoves - Alcohol
December 07, 3:50am

Thermarest Neo-Air
The NeoAir is a good pad, with a fantisticcall price. I have a medium which just fits me at 5'9". I usually inflate this fully while setting up camp, giving it a couple of breaths before slee...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
December 07, 3:22am