Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Hk Newman (hknewman) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Western US
About Me Mostly 2 to 3 day loops, with a couple weeklong trips too, likely going 2 weeks or more with upcoming severance. Lightening up but with an eye towards toughness and hiking convenience (secure drying on the trail. quick set up, etc...), maybe better food (and beverage) for most overnights. Then again I might want to do a spartan "fast n'light" overnight ... and the gear closet grows.
I'll update my gear list tomorrow ...
CityThe Gila
StateNM
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListEver changing gear list

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Hk Newman

Showing 151 - 160 of 1424 | Page: 1 ...7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ...143

Forum » Thread

Trip planning and preparation - backpacker expert advice
Found this little gem. While BPL and relavant reviews give better specific advice, the big picture helps sometimes (IMHO): http://www.backpacker.com/skills/fitness/expert-advice-how-do-i-set-be...

In On the Web » Trip planning and preparation - backpacker expert advice
January 07, 10:59am

Fracking or quakes not my field but Q/A with published researcher
I'm not even remotely qualified to answer but here's an online Q & A with a geologist who published scientific research in this field March 2014, which is the first paper to link frac...

In Chaff » Fracking
January 07, 10:55am

FS: Patagonia XL
Alpine wind and Los Lobos (both gray) now at a site rhyming with Fleabay as of this edit with buy now options

In Gear Swap » FS: Patagonia XL
January 07, 9:29am

Re: Estimating Mileage for Grand Canyon
Going up is just a climb (think 1hr = 1000 ft for most), but going down so much faster. The Tonto is relatively flat and mostly just a bit dusty. One could make some miles if some of the water so...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Estimating Mileage for Grand Canyon
January 05, 2:26pm

Re: Re: Wheeler/Latir Peak instead of Pecos Wilderness?
@Micheal: After fires closed all other NM forests, we did Latir first and it seemed like a lot of little splendid views vs. Wheeler which is one spectacular view (assuming PM dust isn't an issu...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Wheeler/Latir Peak instead of Pecos Wilderness?
January 05, 12:26pm

Re: Insurance during a long hike
For domestic travel (AZ, CA, NM constantly), .. I carry my medical and dental insurance cards from my home ("domicile" in legal speak ... a judge I've hiked with says to have one) an...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Insurance during a long hike
January 05, 12:17pm

Re: Wheeler/Latir Peak instead of Pecos Wilderness?
There are differences. The Latir Pks lend themselves to mostly short rocky and/or forested side trips, though loops can be explored and even making mini-loops. Wheeler Pk is accessible by a few ...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Wheeler/Latir Peak instead of Pecos Wilderness?
January 05, 11:22am

Ticks and microclimate
Spent a week there this past summer but didn't notice any. Further thinking about it ticks are more active when it's warmer, so perhaps the coolor exposed ridges didn't get warm enough...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Ticks at Wilcat, Point Reyes?
January 01, 1:50am

What they don't know won't hurt them
You can always store new gear in the attic. A recently deceased buddy of mine hid about 13 tents, 10 packs, etc.. up in one.

In Make Your Own Gear » BPL think tank on creating more structure/carrying comfort for a Jam pack
January 01, 1:41am

Re: All You Need to Know About Fastpacking
Fantastic article. Think you can post that if anyone asks how do I. get into ..? Devote the rest of SUL subforum into specific gear or gear specifics.

In SuperUltraLight (SUL) Backpacking Discussion » All You Need to Know About Fastpacking
December 26, 6:38am

All Reader Reviews by Hk Newman

Hk Newman has posted no reviews.