BPL Community Profile

Mary D (hikinggranny) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Gateway to Columbia River Gorge
About Me 60-odd years of hiking and backpacking experience, mostly in Rockies and in Pacific Northwest. Relatively recent convert (started 6 years ago) to lightweight backpacking. Continue to do a lot of gear research to lighten load further.
StateOregon
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Mary D

Showing 151 - 160 of 2713 | Page: 1 ...7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ...272

Forum » Thread

Need help lightening my cookware weight
Lightening up will probably involve simplifying your cooking style. My camp cooking is done at home during the winter. I cook large quantities of a one-dish meal, freeze part of it in serving-siz...

In GEAR » Need help lightening my cookware weight
April 14, 10:57am

Lightning
I've seen that same phenomenon with Engelmann spruce, which has a spiral grain. Enormous splinters, 10 to 30 feet long, were driven way into the ground for at least 100 yards surrounding the t...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Idaho family sues USFS for $1M after tree hit son
April 14, 10:46am

Re: EN rating
As I mentioned, Western Mountaineering bags definitely are EN13537 tested; otherwise they couldn't be sold in the EU. WM just doesn't publish the info on their website. It may be that the...

In GEAR » What do temperature ratings for sleeping bags and pads actually mean?
April 14, 10:29am

List your "quick drying" trail runners that you also cross streams in
Old (2007) Montrail Hardrocks (I still have one new pair still in the box), or New Balance W1012 road running shoe. With my deformed feet (bunions, hammertoes, unusually narrow heels), the pre-Col...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » List your "quick drying" trail runners that you also cross streams in.
April 14, 10:13am

Cleaning water bladders with denture cleaner?
I use diluted chlorine bleach, too, let it sit in the water containers for a couple of hours, then rinse thoroughly and hang them to dry (upside down over my spare bathroom's heating vent, whic...

In GEAR » Cleaning water bladders with denture cleaner?
April 14, 9:54am

"What do temperature ratings for sleeping bags and pads actually mean?"
Here's a good article on EN13537 standards for sleeping bags: http://sectionhiker.com/deciphering-en13537-sleeping-bag-temperature-ratings/ And R values for sleeping pads (no standard testi...

In GEAR » What do temperature ratings for sleeping bags and pads actually mean?
April 14, 9:38am

Med kit & Ditty bag is part of my big 3! Help!
If your base weight is under 10 lbs, you're not doing badly at all! I have quite a different configuration--my headlamp is in "Navigation," my repair and med stuff are in "First...

In GEAR » Med kit & Ditty bag is part of my big 3! Help!
April 13, 8:41pm

"Idaho family sues USFS
I think I blew it--I put in an extra "not"! Should have read: "The family should have had sense enough not to camp next to a dead tree." The due diligence should have been ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Idaho family sues USFS for $1M after tree hit son
April 13, 5:42pm

Shipping issues
Guess what--not just FedEx but UPS is now using USPS for delivery. At least that's what happened with the last item I bought online. It was shipped via UPS but delivered by the USPS carrier. ...

In GEAR » Problems with Nunatak
April 13, 11:55am

Does Clothing Count?
Some years ago, the late mystery writer Tony Hillerman was part of a panel discussion among New Mexico Indians (Hillerman was an honorary member of the Navajo Nation). He asked the other participa...

In GEAR » Does Clothing Count?
April 13, 11:38am

All Reader Reviews by Mary D

Showing 1 - 10 of 10 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Thermarest Neo-Air
I purchased a short NeoAir in late May of 2009 from REI (using the 20% off coupon, which made it a less exorbitant purchase). The prospect of an air mat that was considerably lighter than my POE Insu...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
June 10, 3:22pm

Gossamer Gear ThinLight insulation pad 1/8" approx. 2 oz.
So far I have found several uses for the 1/8" GG Thinlight pad: (1) Dog sleeping pad (cut to 36" long). It's just right for my 80-lb. dog who sleeps curled up in a ball. He's ...

In Sleeping Pads - Foam
April 18, 6:49pm

Potable Aqua Iodine Drinking Water Germicidal Tablets
I used these back in the mid-1980's to disinfect drinking water (that's about all that was available then other than filters or boiling). After one month, using them only on weekends, I broke...

In Hydration - Water Treatment
April 07, 6:44pm

Big Agnes Pumphouse Multi-Use Dry Sack and Pad Pump
I purchased a Big Agnes Pumphouse soon after they came on the market in the summer of 2007. It is advertised on the BA web site as a "...pad pump, dry sack, stuff sack, pillow, water carrier, ba...

In Miscellaneous Products
October 18, 2:54pm

Sea to Summit Ultra-Sil Dry Sack
In the past, I've read in a number of places (including Jim Wood's excellent article on "Keeping Your Critical Gear Dry") that these sacks have failed the submersion test. This prob...

In Miscellaneous Products
October 18, 2:07pm

Pacific Outdoor Products Insul Mat Max-Thermo
My POE Insulmat Max Thermo (now the Ether Thermo, but I got the old model on closeout) just finished its second backpacking season. I'm in my early 70's so these old bones and joints ain...

October 17, 5:34pm

Big Agnes Clearview
I know that this pad is supposedly the same thickness as my POE InsulMat Max Thermo (now the Ether Thermo). However, it has more tubes, which seem to make it effectively thinner. The Clearview has t...

October 17, 5:01pm

SteriPen Adventurer
My big complaint with the Steripen Adventurer is that I could not work the switch! It's fine for those with big strong hands (the kind who regularly open jars for their SO), but not for me (I can...

In Hydration - Water Treatment
October 17, 1:52pm

Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo
I bought a Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo (e) in June of 2007 and used it through two backpacking seasons. First of all, I need to point out that my Labrador retriever backpacks with me (he's part...

In Shelters - Single Wall Tents
October 17, 1:28pm

Backcountrygear.com
I am a relatively recent convert to lightweight backpacking (I didn't know all this wonderful stuff existed--you'd never know it from a trip through REI or by reading Backpacker) and this is m...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
October 17, 12:38pm