BPL Community Profile

Tim Cheek (hikerfan4sure) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Tim Cheek hasn't told us about their geographical region yet.
About Me Tim Cheek has not added a biography yet.

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Tim Cheek

Showing 151 - 160 of 221 | Page: 1 ...4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

Forum » Thread

Black Bear outside the tent strategy question
Kevin, What they use to propel them are "pen launchers." http://www.macecanada.com/canada/wilderness1/Signal_Launchers1.htm Are those illegal in national parks or forests? As I ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Black Bear outside the tent strategy question
September 12, 6:15pm

Firecrackers would have been handy, and I have also wondered about these Bearbangers: http://www.macecanada.com/canada/wilderness1/cartridges/bearbangers15.htm The problem for me is that my ti...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Black Bear outside the tent strategy question
September 11, 7:45pm

Four Pass Loop near Aspen, Colorado
This trail has been photographed and analyzed heavily elsewhere on the internet, so feel free to google those itineraries. I went clockwise, but went off trail when it looked fun. What follows are ...

In Post-Trip Reports » Four Pass Loop near Aspen, Colorado
September 09, 2:08pm

How do you get tree sap out of merino wool?
Okay, I guess I really am a tree hugger because this has happened to me twice. I've got pine sap on my smartwool merino wool hoody. How do I get it out?

In GEAR » How do you get tree sap out of merino wool?
September 09, 11:58am

In the past black bears always hid from me or ran away once they saw me. Last Monday night I was camped three miles from a trailhead about 9 miles from downtown Aspen at the end of a five day ...

September 06, 9:03pm

without the liner
I used my Major without the liner and had no problems, but never saw evidence of any bears either.

In GEAR » Ursack S29 Hybrid
August 24, 5:32pm

Ursack Major
I used the Ursack Major, now discontinued, in the Wind River Range last year. Huge, but I was out for quite a while unsupported and could put everything smelly in there with the food.

In GEAR » Ursack S29 Hybrid
August 23, 9:32pm

Spring Aquatics
I'll throw in approval, too. I bought two pair, but haven't worn out the first yet. Nearly did a face plant a few years ago using a walmart teva wanna be knock off. They slid off my feet t...

In GEAR » Camp shoes?
August 23, 9:27pm

beware of the cooking frog problem
The first time I moved it took me an hour or so to pack my 1970 Chevrolet. About 20 years later it took multiple trips with an eighteen wheeler and several men. I'm so "heavy" now, ...

In Chaff » What career allows for time to hike? Help!
August 16, 9:25pm

Re: Cacoon Pull-over Medium $90
Douglas, Let me know how to reach you, I'm interested. I'm

In Gear Swap » Cacoon Pull-over Medium $90
July 20, 9:14pm

All Reader Reviews by Tim Cheek

Showing 1 - 10 of 17 | Page: 1 2

Review

Category

Mountain Laurel Designs 850 ml Cup
Perfect because it does what the advertisement says it will do. It holds enough water to reconstitute your freeze dried food, and your hot drink. Boil the water for both, pour whatever is needed for t...

In Cookware - Titanium
September 05, 10:07pm

Honey Stinger Organic Energy Chews
I feel like I have to choke down energy bars. They are just too dry for me. And, these things didn't seem appetizing to me because they had the consistency of gummy bears and the political cor...

In Foods - Energy Bars, Gels, and Drinks
September 05, 10:01pm

Amazon Kindle
Some people fish, fly kites, chat with their hiking mates, or mull over their route and equipment when they aren’t hiking. Some hike from dawn to dusk and have no time for such weighty pass times. If...

In Miscellaneous Products
September 05, 9:54pm

Garmin Oregon 550t
This review is by a first time GPS user, so I can’t offer a comparison to other units. I’m also not familiar with the technical aspects of GPS units, so I can’t offer you performance data. What I ca...

In Navigation Gear & Accessories
September 05, 9:53pm

Ultimate Survival Technologies Sparkie Firestarter
Plastic broke while trying to use it the first time. Apparently, the spring wasn't strong enough for the plunger to pop out when I squeezed the case. Super gluing it back would likely prevent m...

In First Aid and Survival Gear & Accessories
August 25, 8:19pm

Last Breath: The Limits of Adventure by Peter Stark
Okay, maybe this is engaging and educational, but it gave me the creeps. How many ways can you kick the bucket in slow motion?

In Books and Media
April 14, 9:32pm

Alone Across Alaska 1,000 Miles of Wilderness DVD DVD
www.bucktrack.com $24.95 plus $5.00 shipping. This is a DVD of a solo hike from the east end of the Brooks range to the west. Six hundred miles of hiking and four hundred on an inflatable canoe. ...

In Books and Media
April 14, 9:30pm

Inov-8 Roclite 390 XCR
I bought my pair from REI in case I needed to return them. I'd have preferred a pair without gore tex, but it was fun to splash through water without drying out. I was worried that the description...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
September 06, 9:37pm

Cocoon Vest Vest
I ordered the medium because that is what I wear in a Patagonia Micro-Puff, but the neck was too big for me, too. I have replaced it with a small, and the fit is perfect. I prefer the zipper over t...

In Clothing - Insulating - Synthetic (Polarguard, Primaloft, etc.)
July 05, 7:56pm

Equinox Lite Tripper Organizer Pouch
The irony of repackaging stuff into smaller containers is the accumulation of a whole lot of little containers. I have tried to keep track of them all a variety of ways, but always feared I'd mis...

In Miscellaneous Products
March 28, 10:00pm