Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Rick Dreher (halfturbo) - BPL Professional Member

My Locale Northernish California
About Me There once was a hiker from Nantucket....

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Rick Dreher

Showing 151 - 160 of 1656 | Page: 1 ...7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ...166

Forum » Thread

Re: WTB Leki Carbon Makalu single trekking pole.
Hi Kate, Sorry to hear of your mishap. There's a nearly new one somewhere in Lyons Creek in Desolation Wilderness, California if you're up to the search. I lost one there but was fortuna...

In Gear Swap » WTB Leki Carbon Makalu single trekking pole.
October 03, 10:29am

Re: Good insight, new question
"Here is another question then: If you had one M43's body and 2 lenses to choose what would they be? Giving yourself a $1000 budget. *Keep in mind video is as important as stills*" ...

In Photography » A question for the Photographers
October 02, 6:47pm

Re: A question for the Photographers
Hi Nick, Reading between the lines it sounds like video quality has an important role on your list. If so you'll be best served going 4/3 with one of the new X lenses and an EVF. Being able ...

In Photography » A question for the Photographers
October 02, 12:01pm

Re: Help: Remove Rust from Knife
I found a Buck pocket knife once when backpacking. It had sat on the ground, open for years and was quite rusty. Back home I soaked it in kerosene for a couple weeks then cleaned it up with steel w...

In GEAR » Help: Remove Rust from Knife
October 01, 11:05am

Re: Cascades Last Week September 19th thru 24th
Very kind offer, Curt, I'll make a note and just might take you up on it! It's been far too long. :-) Cheers, Rick

In Photo Gallery » Cascades Last Week September 19th thru 24th
October 01, 10:25am

Re: Desolation Wilderness Permit out of Wright's lake?
Yup, coming from the west up Highway 50 you get permits at the Pacific Ranger District office east of Pollock Pines. http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/eldorado/recreation/wild/deso/permit/ Cheers, R...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Desolation Wilderness Permit out of Wright's lake?
September 30, 8:56pm

Re: My take
I'll caution that giardia is unlikely to be present by itself; bacteria are almost certain to be present as well--the only question is whether any are pathogenic. Giardiasis is quite possibly o...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Giardia question
September 30, 10:20am

Re: Giardia question
Hi Elizabeth, To play it straight, you'd consider the cup or mug contaminated after using it as a raw water scoop, possibly from giardia cysts or more commonly, from bacteria. You could rins...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Giardia question
September 29, 2:16pm

Re: Platypus Filter
Hi Derek, You can definitely just fill containers straight from the filter, as needed. I found the instructions on line, here. They're press-on fittings. http://media.cascadedesigns.com/p...

In GEAR » Last minute substitution - Platypus Filter Cartridge?
September 29, 2:07pm

Re: Last minute substitution - Platypus Filter Cartridge?
Hi Derek, As long as the filter has a friction fitting the hose slides on to, you should be good to go. (Do you have a second container for the filtered water?) I've never seen the cartridge...

In GEAR » Last minute substitution - Platypus Filter Cartridge?
September 29, 1:37pm

All Reader Reviews by Rick Dreher

Showing 1 - 7 of 7 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Mountain Gear
I've placed a few orders with Mountain Gear, going as far back as when they were based in Idaho, and they've responded flawlessly each time. I admire the breadth and high quality of their sele...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
December 15, 2:03pm

Backcountrygear.com
I have to put in a plug for these folks, with whom I've shopped on line and over the phone, and who also have a store in soggy Eugene, Oregon. They have a great backpacking and climbing selection f...

November 20, 6:47pm

Recreational Equipment, Inc. (REI)
As another Seattle kid who loved few things more than pilgrammages to the Capitol Hill store, I still associate the smell of cresote with hiking gear. It's hard to imagine backpacking without REI. ...

November 20, 6:22pm

Patagonia Micro Puff Pullover
I upgraded to the Micro Puff pullover after several seasons with the old Puffball pullover. Lighter, warmer, stuffs smaller--the Micro Puff is an all-around improvement to what was already a fine garm...

In Clothing - Insulating - Synthetic (Polarguard, Primaloft, etc.)
November 12, 12:53pm

MSR Titan Kettle
Noting the shape isn't the most efficient for squeezing every btu from the stove, the MSR kettle remains a very good single-pot option. It packs nicely, works well with small to medium stoves, pours w...

In Cookware - Titanium
January 15, 12:17pm

MSR SimmerLite
I find the Whisperlite to be MSR's easiest liquid stove to use, and certainly the nicest to lug, bulk and weight-wise. Simmering performance is best with a light touch on the fuel pump--try using l...

In Stoves - White Gas
December 20, 11:46am

Golite Hex 3
I've used a Hex 2, the 3's somewhat smaller brother, with good success for a few seasons. The quarters are a little snug for six-footers, but it's a minor concern. My main complaint is that the ventil...

In Shelters - Tarps & Floorless
November 28, 8:43pm