BPL Community Profile

Evan McCarthy (evanrussia) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Northern Europe
About Me Expat UL backpacker living in Riga and exploring Northern Europe's trail and forests.
CityRiga
StateRiga
CountryLatvia
My Website URLhttps://www.facebook.com/evankylemccarthy
My PDF Gear ListGear List for June-July Kungsleden

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Evan McCarthy

Showing 151 - 160 of 391 | Page: 1 ...7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ...40

Forum » Thread

Icebreaker Running Socks
I've fallen in love with Icebreaker's line of thin running socks (their hiking socks are a bit thicker). Expensive and somewhat fragile - but they feel greet and keep my feet happy. htt...

In GEAR » Do you use a liner with trail running shoes? And what about sock thickness?
August 03, 12:43pm

Summer is Not a Winner (in the Mid-Atlantic)
I do hike all year round. But gosh darn, summer heat in the 90s with humidity to match really makes me reconsider why I decide to go on a few trips. Fall and spring are great. Winter is almost p...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Favorite Season To Hit The Trail
August 03, 7:15am

Re: Speed Hiker Jennifer Pharr Davis sets Record on Appalachian Trail
I find her record particularly impressive considering all of the brutal heat she marched through this last month. I'm officially a fan!

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Speed Hiker Jennifer Pharr Davis sets Record on Appalachian Trail
August 02, 7:03am

Hiking "Pants" - What do you Wear and why?
You could always check out the great (and not totally serious) kilt thread: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=44343

In GEAR » Hiking Pants: What do you Wear and why?
August 01, 12:50pm

RE: It looks like a skirt
Look, I love rocking the kilt. But it does indeed look like a skirt to all who don't recognize the difference. This is just part of the package, no pun intended. This being said, it's a ...

In GEAR » Guys: Gear Tested Needed...
July 29, 2:34pm

Darn you, Mr. Perry!
You caught me in a moment of spending weakness and I immediately ordered a Sportkilt. I'm looking forward to hitting the trails with it as soon as it arrives.

July 29, 2:07pm

Bad Hydropel Experience
So I had a not-so-great Hydropel experience. I decided to proactively use Hydropel on a 3-day, 71 mile trip in May. I applied it to my feet a couple times a day. I don't remember it feel...

In GEAR » Hydropel alternatives
July 29, 1:33pm

Mountain Hardware Kilt
I wear the MH kilt year-round nowadays and absolutely love it. I'm not a kilt purist like Matthew, so I really like it's quick-drying material and perfect pockets. It really can't be ...

July 29, 12:06pm

JMT
Are you going to blog/journal/post your thru hike?

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Happy Friday, Everyone!
July 29, 9:31am

Happy Friday, Everyone!
It's been almost a month since I last hit the trails for the weekend and I'm getting stir crazy. I should have my pack and poles in the corner of my office, totally out of sync in my steri...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Happy Friday, Everyone!
July 29, 7:06am

All Reader Reviews by Evan McCarthy

Showing 1 - 1 of 1 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Nunatak Arc Edge
I was dubious about an 11 oz. quilt that keeps you warm when pushing it -- but I just go back from an outing with the Arc Edge down to high 30s even (not quite expected) and found the quilt and Nunata...

In Sleeping Bags - Quilts & Top Bags
April 17, 6:48pm