BPL Community Profile

Mina Loomis (elmvine) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Central Texas
About Me I have been backpacking on and off in the western US since college in the early 1970's. Summer 1970 a bunch of us spent a week in the Three Sisters Wilderness in Oregon barefoot with blankets, book bags, and no proper gear at all. Now I coordinate youth backpacking for our Camp Fire council, and enjoy taking the kids to the mountains. I hope to take up more long distance walking after retirement.
CityAustin
StateTexas
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://www.camp-fire.org
My PDF Gear ListJMT 2011 Gear List

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Mina Loomis

Showing 151 - 160 of 202 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

Forum » Thread

We have our permit! Tarp for Wonderland?
Update on our Wonderland Trail hike--we got our permit! Yay! So we are busy with meal planning, gear planning, and all the details for our trip. So many details! Because we ended up with August...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Wonderland Trail
July 10, 10:50pm

whiz and freshette
I have tried both. I had a Freshette from REI first, and later got a Whiz from BPL. The Whiz is smaller and is pliable, and yes every last drop shakes off. The cup part of the Freshette is m...

In GEAR » Let's talk about the whiz freedom
May 03, 10:35pm

Wonderland Trail
Update: Our son and his girlfriend decided to fly instead of drive to NYC, so that opened us up to later dates (yay!). We faxed in a permit request for 10 days beginning August 2. Less snow (may...

March 28, 9:57am

Re: Re: The Eleventh Essential: Literary Companionship on the Trail?
"I love trail books with history and geology lessons." Then you might like The Secret Knowledge of Water by Craig Childs. I rarely carry a book on the trail, although I am an addict a...

In Philosophy & Technique » The Eleventh Essential: Literary Companionship on the Trail?
March 27, 8:54pm

In case you don't normally read Gear Swap
I've posted FS the add-on wide angle lens that goes on a Nikon Coolpix P5000 camera.

In Photography » In case you don't normally read Gear Swap
March 20, 10:08am

panasonic
Thanks for the tip on the Panasonic! Looked it up; it is supposed to be on the market in April. I think I should wait so I can compare the two. I like it that the range is greater, since that...

In Photography » Olympus Stylus 9000
March 20, 10:05am

FS: Wide angle converter lens for Nikon Coolpix P5000
Nikon model WC-E67. If you have a P5000 digital camera, and you would like to have wide angle (24mm). This adds on with a little adapter ring which I have included in the box. The instruction sh...

In Gear Swap » FS: Wide angle converter lens for Nikon Coolpix P5000
March 20, 9:19am

Olympus Stylus 9000
This is a new model. All my other digital cameras have been either Canon or Nikon. Olympus Stylus 9000 is pocket size, goes wide-angle (28) to 10x optical zoom (280). I need a new camera, am con...

In Photography » Olympus Stylus 9000
March 19, 1:44pm

Re: other models; any tarp/pole suggestions?
Look at this: http://www.rei.com/product/763451 and this: http://www.rei.com/product/763453 for possibilities for your car tarp option. They come with their poles. Also REI has a new bi...

In GEAR » Tarps and tents for car camping
March 15, 9:01pm

Wonderland Trail
Sarah: Wow, I didn't realize you live so close to that area! I may want to get in touch about that shuttle idea, and it would be fun to meet up with you anyway. My older son's girlfriend...

March 14, 1:29pm

All Reader Reviews by Mina Loomis

Mina Loomis has posted no reviews.