BPL Community Profile

Kathy A Handyside (earlymusicus) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale Southeastern Michigan
About Me I'm getting back into backpacking after several years' hiatus. All my gear was circa 1979, so I've been gradually replacing it with lightweight new equipment. I will be retiring in 4 more years and then plan to do all the trails I've dreamed of doing. I also love xc-skiing and mt. biking. I plan to move to Oregon for retirement. Besides the outdoors, I love early and classical music;I play Baroque recorder and harpsichord. I'm a bookworm, I enjoy writing and quiet get-togethers with close friends.
CitySouthgate
StateMichigan
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Kathy A Handyside

Showing 151 - 160 of 164 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

Forum » Thread

24 But So Much More!
Hi Ryan - What an fantastic video!! Your trip may have been only 24 hours, but it was so much more. And here I am, living in southeastern Michigan suburbia (just south of Detroit)!! The only mo...

In Editor's Roundtable » 24: Fall Equinox in the Hyalite Cirque of Montana's Gallatin Mountains
October 18, 8:45pm

Re: One Night at a Time
What a wonderful article, Mike! To me, it's all those little things - the short trips, the day hikes - that can add up to as much soul satisfaction as a long trip. Your area of abode sounds ...

In Editor's Roundtable » One Night At A Time
October 18, 8:28pm

Re; All the Gear A Woman Could Want
Thank you, Tom - you, too! :)

In Editor's Roundtable » All the Gear a Guy Could Want
October 18, 8:20pm

All the Gear a Woman Could Want
I live in a small house - 750 square feet - so my limitation of storage space demands that I make my purchases with a lot of forethought. I spend time looking for things that will each serve severa...

In Editor's Roundtable » All the Gear a Guy Could Want
October 18, 7:55pm

Re: Made in China - Something Else to Consider
What about the impact on American jobs all this outsourcing has had? How much more products could be sold if people weren't unemployed here? I speak from experience as I am currently unemployed...

In Editor's Roundtable » Made in China - A State of the Market Report
September 10, 5:16pm

Bear Bag Hanging VS Bear-Proof Canister
Really well-written and comprehensive article; nice video, too! However, since I'm only a 5-foot-tall woman, I really think I'll work on lightening my pack weight as much as possible so I c...

In Editor's Roundtable » Turbo Bear Bag Hanging
September 10, 4:07pm

REI Flash 50/65
I'm a short woman with a torso size of 15". I would have to buy the women's small. The problem is that the waist size on the small is 26-31 inches. That's ridiculous! Especially if...

In Editor's Roundtable » REI Flash 50 and Flash 65 Backpack Review
April 15, 10:27pm

Is This For Real??
If it is, it's sad that EVERYTHING in this country has to be turned into a macho competition, with everyone trying to do everything faster and bigger than everyone else. That's not what I g...

In Editor's Roundtable » Uncovering the Truth: Underground Doping in the Long Distance Hiking Community
April 04, 10:34pm

However
However, if this is an April Fool's joke (and I sincerely hope it is), then I have fallen for it. Go ahead and laugh.

In Editor's Roundtable » FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: BACKPACKING LIGHT SEEKS PARTNERSHIP WITH OHV/ORV COMMUNITY TO PROMOTE MULTI-USE HARMONY IN AMERICAN WILDERNESS
March 31, 10:54pm

BPL Partnership cont.
And if this is what Backpacking Light wants to support, I will not be renewing my membership. Why should I have to wear earplugs to cut out the noise of ORVs?? Why should I have to step off-trail t...

In Editor's Roundtable » FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: BACKPACKING LIGHT SEEKS PARTNERSHIP WITH OHV/ORV COMMUNITY TO PROMOTE MULTI-USE HARMONY IN AMERICAN WILDERNESS
March 31, 10:52pm

All Reader Reviews by Kathy A Handyside

Kathy A Handyside has posted no reviews.