Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Kathy A Handyside (earlymusicus) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale Southeastern Michigan
About Me I'm getting back into backpacking after several years' hiatus. All my gear was circa 1979, so I've been gradually replacing it with lightweight new equipment. I will be retiring in 4 more years and then plan to do all the trails I've dreamed of doing. I also love xc-skiing and mt. biking. I plan to move to Oregon for retirement. Besides the outdoors, I love early and classical music;I play Baroque recorder and harpsichord. I'm a bookworm, I enjoy writing and quiet get-togethers with close friends.
CitySouthgate
StateMichigan
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Kathy A Handyside

Showing 151 - 160 of 173 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

Forum » Thread

"Be Prepard, Not Equipped"
Brad - Excellent article! I think if I were going to teach an intro-to-lightweight-backpacking class, I'd use your article as a place to begin. I began lightening my load a year or so ago. N...

In Editor's Roundtable » Be Prepared, Not Equipped
February 03, 8:33pm

Montbell Ex Light Women's Down Jacket
I've about given up on women's outdoor clothing altogether, so far as hiking pants, shirts, and jackets are concerned. For one thing, they run too small; for another, often they contain too...

In Editor's Roundtable » Montbell Ex Light Women's Down Jacket Review
January 26, 4:01pm

A New Perspective
Well, as a person who keeps fighting the weight battle, I enjoyed this article and found it helpful. Why? Because it put a new slant on things and gave me a new perspective. I like the idea of work...

In Editor's Roundtable » Lighten Your Heaviest Gear: You!
December 16, 12:19pm

Very Informative Article
Thanks for a great article! Very informative. I had already decided to get a Montbell Super Stretch bag anyway. I am a restless side sleeper who sleeps in a fetal position and tosses and turns a lo...

In Editor's Roundtable » MontBell UL Spiral Down Hugger Sleeping Bag Review
December 08, 6:20pm

Re: 24: Nine Months 'til Summer
Oh, wow. What a fantastic video! I love snow, I love snow hiking. Unfortunately, I'm stuck in the suburbia of the Detroit metro area. :( I can't wait to move out west. I'd give anythin...

In Editor's Roundtable » 24: Nine Months 'til Summer
November 17, 10:00pm

Re: Baby on Board
To the question of whether this was a great family trip or a bad idea, I say look at the smiles on little Flora's face - that should tell you that it was a great idea for her and her parents! ...

In Editor's Roundtable » Backpacking: Baby on Board
November 13, 10:18am

Oh, yeah
Jiffy Pop rocks! However, I can only pop it over my stove; I've always ended up burning it over a campfire. :) Kathy

In Editor's Roundtable » 24: Garnet Mountain Forest Service Lookout, Montana
October 21, 9:47pm

24 Part 2
Ryan - what a wonderful series this is! I'm so enjoying it. It's so nice to see kids in the wilderness, instead of being locked in the city or even worse, a ghetto area. I know from the hik...

In Editor's Roundtable » 24: Garnet Mountain Forest Service Lookout, Montana
October 21, 9:44pm

Re: Transitional Hiker
Hi Mark - What a great article! Thanks so much! I really enjoyed it. I, too, am in the midst of an ultralight overhaul of my backpacking gear, so it's nice to read articles by people who are...

In Editor's Roundtable » Transitional Hiker - An Australian Story
October 21, 9:22pm

24 But So Much More!
Hi Ryan - What an fantastic video!! Your trip may have been only 24 hours, but it was so much more. And here I am, living in southeastern Michigan suburbia (just south of Detroit)!! The only mo...

In Editor's Roundtable » 24: Fall Equinox in the Hyalite Cirque of Montana's Gallatin Mountains
October 18, 8:45pm

All Reader Reviews by Kathy A Handyside

Kathy A Handyside has posted no reviews.