BPL Community Profile

Derek Cox (derekcox) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Southeast
About Me Derek Cox has not added a biography yet.
CityDauphin Island
StateAL
CountryUS
My PDF Gear List3 Season UL Comfort

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Derek Cox

Showing 151 - 160 of 175 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

Forum » Thread

Re: Titanium Goat Ptarmigan Bivy
nobody sells anything like the meteor bivy as far as im aware. but i made one and it works great. i would hate having netting sitting on my face and with the meteor bivy its basically just like i...

In GEAR » Titanium Goat Ptarmigan Bivy
April 07, 4:04pm

gear list up for criticism
So this is an abbreviated gear list I have created that i feel like, for me, would be the best compromise of weight and comfort. feel free to share any thoughts. Osprey atmos 50 + pack cover: ...

In Gear Lists » gear list up for criticism
April 06, 5:49pm

pot marking
this is an option rather than marking on the pot itself http://www.freewebs.com/jasonklass/ulmeasuringstick.htm

In Make Your Own Gear » Pot Marking
March 14, 11:49am

re
in most cases...its not that big a deal if you get wet... just deal with it. whatever bivy or shelter you bring with you make sure it keeps you dry enough and you will be fine. no need to bring an...

In Make Your Own Gear » Best design for bomb proof bivy
March 06, 4:38am

Re: quilt hype
The problem with what you said about not being able to hike in the insulating clothing is that its usually warmer during the day and hiking you create much more heat than sitting in camp. I prefe...

In GEAR » Quilt Question
February 25, 10:00pm

GG Treklight Mod
Has anyone modified these poles so you can take them apart? I was hoping to try something like this and wanted to see if anyone had any ideas or experience with it. Would this ruin the stiffness...

In Make Your Own Gear » GG Treklight Mod
February 24, 8:32pm

Re: Re: Some gear reports
My bivy is made from just ripstop nylon and silnylon from thru-hiker. I wanted to make one rather cheap and see how it went before investing more money in more expensive materials like momentum or...

In GEAR » Some gear reports
February 24, 7:03pm

Some gear reports
So I finally got a chance to test out a couple of new items this weekend on a mini-trip. The mileage was extremely low and the weather perfect, so obviously some testing still needs to be done in ...

In GEAR » Some gear reports
February 24, 6:04pm

Re: bivy advice please
I just made a meteor bivy using the instructions on SMDs website. I was looking for something similar to what you are and decided to go with that. Havent tried it out yet though so im afraid i ca...

In GEAR » bivy advice please
February 18, 10:46am

another source of momentum?
does anyone know of another source for momentum fabric besides thru-hiker? just wondering...

In Make Your Own Gear » another source of momentum?
February 14, 3:48pm

All Reader Reviews by Derek Cox

Showing 1 - 7 of 7 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Jetboil Personal Cooking System
Easy to use. Lighter can be easily fixed if you read the troubleshooting guide. Boils water fast and uses very little fuel. Insulated and takes up relatively little space. on the heavier side, but ...

In Stoves - Canister
February 24, 9:18pm

Therm-A-Rest Pro Lite 3
Had it for a few years now. Never had any problems with leaking or holes. Comfy 1" of padding. Plenty wide and long, but a little on the heavier side.

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
February 24, 9:12pm

MSR Hubba
Outstanding rain protection. Plenty of room to sit up and move around a bit. Full mesh allows you to see the stars clearly on clear nights. Lightweight and perfect for nastier conditions when a tar...

In Shelters - Double Wall Tents
February 24, 9:07pm

Montbell UL Down Inner Jacket
Packs small. Very light. Fits great. Soft material. Keeps me warm down to about 40 degrees over just a t-shirt. Full zip is very handy and pockets are a great touch. Absolutely nothing but good th...

In Clothing - Insulating - Down
February 24, 8:57pm

Osprey Atmos 50
Like others have said, what really separates this pack from others is the airspeed suspension. This pack molds perfectly to my hips and shoulders since it does not contact my back air can flow freely...

In Backpacks - Internal Frame
February 24, 8:53pm

Mountain Laurel Designs Zip
Much tougher pack for just a few ounces more. Tough Mesh on back and sides is great for holding a myriad of items. Shoulder straps are comfortable and it carries a load very well. Great craftsmansh...

In Backpacks - Frameless
February 24, 8:45pm

WalMart
walmart is great for those cheap generic items needed for each trip. i.e. snacks, travel toiletries, odds and ends. who cares where the money goes or how wealthy Walmart is? i get what i need at a g...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
June 12, 8:10pm