BPL Community Profile

David Bonn (david_bonn) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale North Cascades
About Me Semi-retired computer geek, sometime employee of the National Parking Lot Service, fluent skier and hiker.
CityWinthrop
StateWashington
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by David Bonn

Showing 151 - 160 of 202 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

Forum » Thread

Re: advice on sleeping bag requested
First off, you don't need a pillow. Second, there are quite a few excellent synthetic-insulated jackets available from Patagonia, MEC, and others. The Patagonia Micro Puff Pullover weighs in at...

In GEAR » advice on sleeping bag requested
December 19, 5:47pm

Bulk Foods
http://www.maryjanesfarm.com/ -- Spendy, but excellent food. All organic. http://www.adventurefoods.com/afsearch.asp -- Has a lot of bulk dried vegetables and meat like REI sold when I was a kid.

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Bulk Foods?
December 17, 5:50pm

Re: What did it cost?
There are lots of good books on hiking the AT. There isn't any one book that has everything. I like Wingfoot's hiking guide. It is at times opinionated and there are some errors in it, but it...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » What did it cost?
December 15, 6:31pm

Re: What did it cost?
I'd probably say that your consumables costs (mostly food, but also things like fuel) will probably be around ten dollars per day, maybe a little more. Yes, you can get that number down quite a bi...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » What did it cost?
December 15, 6:02pm

Re: Waxing Waxless Skis??
Putting glide wax on the grip section of a waxless ski is a good way to make a mess in the very best case, and might ruin the ski in the worse case. There are various goops and jellies (MaxiGlid...

In Other Activities » Waxing Waxless Skis??
December 08, 1:54pm

Re: dead person on the trail
More about the dead person I found... I was skiing very early on a Sunday morning in February. Left the trailhead just as the sun was coming up. I was following a logging road in the valley fl...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Bad Trail Encounters
December 07, 4:21pm

Re: Bad Trail Encounters
I've had way more problems with people at trailheads than on the trail. I've had way, way more problems with people in certain towns than with people on the trail. On trailhead thefts, I've had...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Bad Trail Encounters
December 07, 2:08pm

not funny at all
I find no humor in this post. Having ran a business myself, I know how hard everyone has to work to make a business, well, work. The folks at BPL provide (in my own experience) great products a...

In GEAR » Teaser - New Cocoon
December 06, 2:02pm

Re: Neoprene socks versus Neoprene boots
Ooops! Try: http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?memberId=12500226&productId=74248 aka "Seirus Neoprene Super S-T-R-E-T-C-H Socks" Sorry 'bout that. dwb

In Winter Hiking » Neoprene boots for winter
December 03, 6:09pm

Neoprene socks versus Neoprene boots
Neoprene socks have a lot more flexibility for me. I can use them with running shoes, mountaineering boots, or cross-country ski boots as conditions warrant. I can also switch to more conventiona...

In Winter Hiking » Neoprene boots for winter
December 02, 6:00pm

All Reader Reviews by David Bonn

Showing 1 - 8 of 8 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Western Mountaineering Summer Coupler
I think the big killer for me and my so was that it was made of cotton. It needs to be made of some very light synthetic instead. Once again, a great idea with poor execution.

In Sleeping Bags - Mummy & Other
August 26, 9:09am

Patagonia R1 Balaclava
One other thing that I think is good is that the stretchy fabric is relatively thin -- this means that if you are exercising you can still wear the hat in quite cold weather, and if it is wicked cold ...

In Clothing - Headwear, Handwear
August 25, 1:56pm

Superfeet Performance Green
Thirty bucks is a lot of money for an insole. But it is way cheaper than knee surgery. I've been using them religiously for four years in everything but rock climbing shoes and backcountry ski boots...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
August 09, 11:02am

Patagonia Micro Puff Pullover
Lightweight, simple, doubles as a pillow. This pullover is a wonderful evolution of the original puffball pullover.

In Clothing - Insulating - Synthetic (Polarguard, Primaloft, etc.)
August 09, 10:55am

GoLite Phantom Jacket
Awesome light jacket. Enormous pit zips help ventilation a lot. High pockets let you stash gloves and trail mix where you can get them without taking your pack off. A little heavier than some more ...

In Clothing - Raingear
August 09, 10:53am

Patagonia Dragonfly pullover
I don't go anywhere without this pullover. For everything from groomed cross-country ski tours to weeklong climbing trips to long-distance backpacks. This is probably the most useful item of clothin...

In Clothing - Wind & Soft Shell
August 09, 10:51am

Patagonia Specter Jacket
Wonderfully light. Waterproof. Reasonably breathable. More expensive than my first car (and more waterproof too). The big pockets help venting a bit, but it doesn't (in my opinion) vent particul...

In Clothing - Raingear
August 09, 10:49am

ULA Equipment P-1
I've used my P-1 since March, with several trips up to two weeks (with resupply) and trips as long as seven days without a resupply. I like the side pockets a lot. I'd like them better (and give t...

In Backpacks - Internal Frame
August 09, 10:43am