BPL Community Profile

carl becker (carlbecker) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Northern Virginia
About Me 54 years old 6' at 200lbs and getting back to doing some overnight hiking.
CityFairfax
StateVirginia
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear List3 season

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by carl becker

Showing 151 - 160 of 319 | Page: 1 ...7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ...32

Forum » Thread

Re: L Plates
Gitzo did make a two section 0921 carbon tripod. I am down to 20 ounces including a ballhead after cutting off the center section and mount. L brackets are very nice but it is 4 ounces extra on m...

In Photography » UL ballhead for DSLR?
March 17, 10:19am

Re: Age......A State of Mind.
I am still 55 but that will change next month. I have been hiking for only 38 years. My music is from the Beatles, Joni Mitchell and CSN. My pack was heavy but I have taught myself how to lighte...

In GEAR » Easton Kilo
March 17, 8:42am

Re: Re: MLD Gear
That would be SERVICE in the highest order!

In GEAR » Mountain Laurel Design gear smell like cigarettes?
March 14, 9:25am

Re: Gear suggestions for newer backpackers
In the past few years I have rediscovered hiking. After much trial and error I decided on equipment that would keep me warm, dry and bug free on the East Coast and what ever park I visited. Three...

In GEAR » Gear suggestions for newer backpackers
March 11, 11:05am

Re: Different NeoAir Question
Sounds like a great idea. How about elastic thread or webbing in a valley or two.

In GEAR » Different NeoAir Question
March 11, 10:56am

Re: What Pack should i get?
I tried several packs, frameless, internal and external before I settled on the Aarn Marathon Magic 33. No more than 3 nights out with small bear can, large camera with tripod (54 ounce kit). It ...

In GEAR » What Pack should i get?
March 03, 5:36am

Re: help me pick a shelter
I have and like both the TT Sublite and MDL Solomid. Both have held up to the winds I have experienced. If I could have only one tent it would be the Sublite Sil. I pretty much use everything I ...

In GEAR » help me pick a shelter
March 02, 5:52am

Re: lol?
It takes two to tango. I don't know anything more than what is said here but: "What I received was a 29 oz pad with NOT 900 FP down in it ( he later admited this to me in an email to s...

In GEAR » Kooka Bay
February 06, 10:08am

Re: Kooka Bay
I have two pads from Kooka Bay. Both took some time to get which I was aware of before hand. I ordered the last several weeks before Christmas as a present. It was getting close to Xmas and afte...

In GEAR » Kooka Bay
February 05, 8:37pm

Re: Re: While we're at it....
I do believe pepper spray reacts violently to the nose. A bear uses its nose to find food. The bear needs to eat as much as possible to survive winter well. IMHO a good scare works much better t...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » a Tasar Gun for Black Bear Protection?
January 31, 9:28am

All Reader Reviews by carl becker

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Inov8 RocLite 315
I did lots of research to replace my 30 year old heavy leather boots. I tried many different boots at REI before I ordered these and have found my hiking shoe. I went one size up from my street shoes...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
January 16, 8:14pm

Osprey Exos 34 Exos 34
I recently looked at packs for some over night hiking. I tried the REI Flash 30, Montbell versalite 50, SMD Swift, GG Miniposa and Osprey exos 34. At 23 pounds the Osprey is by far the most comforta...

In Backpacks - External Frame
January 16, 8:03pm