BPL Community Profile

Brian Lewis (brianle) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Pacific NW
About Me Thru-hiked the PCT in 2008 NOBO, the AT in 2010 NOBO, and the CDT in 2011 SOBO.
http://postholer.com/brianle
CityBellevue
StateWA
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListBrian Lewis (Gadget) AT NOBO 2010 Gearlist --- late Feb start

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Brian Lewis

Showing 151 - 160 of 680 | Page: 1 ...7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ...68

Forum » Thread

varies a lot by year
You really need to look at the snow level forecasts and make a best guess, as there can be pretty wide fluctuations year by year. It also depends to some degree on how comfortable you are spending...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » 2013 PCT start advice
November 14, 12:16pm

hammock users might think about it ...
I recall a few years ago doing a solo trip with a hammock rather than a tent. Heard a lot of Elk bugling, and walking not that far away. I thought it was kind of cool at the time. Then when I ...

In Philosophy & Technique » Elk
October 18, 7:44am

Depends on use
I have the Gatewood + nettent combo, but find that I rarely use the net tent. Times when bugs are likely to be bad, I generally am willing to carry a somewhat heavier combo of tent plus separate r...

In GEAR » Gatewood Cape vs ?
October 15, 3:17pm

not just the apps
"Anyone else know of some great/free/useful phone Apps please contribute!" I think it's not just about the apps, but also about the mental approach to using the phone in general. ...

In Multiple Use Gear » My smart phone, a digital swiss army knife.
October 03, 11:38pm

Overkill
I own a MB Alpine Light parka. I bought it for the first part of an AT thru in 2010 since I was starting on the early side (late Feb), and it worked great there, especially to augment my 20F sleep...

In GEAR » MB Alpine Light Parka - overkill warmth or OK?
October 03, 11:30pm

pushing it, but possible
My wife and I are the same age as your mother, and we just finished the JMT in 16+ days --- really, 15+ with a day off at Reds Meadow. We started from Happy Isles on Sept 8th, finished on Sept 24...

In Pre-Trip Planning » JMT - Can we/Should we?
October 02, 3:51am

consider hiking in June or Sept
To this comment: "I've been thinking about doing a thru of the JMT within the next couple of summers and this sounds a little disheartening." My wife and I hiked the JMT recently, ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » just finished the JMT... a few observations and thoughts
October 02, 3:37am

beware zipper
I have the original OR Helium, and liked it a lot last year --- wore it quite a bit over 5 months of hiking. This year the zipper started to get wonky, I'd zip it up and then it would start pe...

In GEAR » Outdoor Research Helium II Rain Jacket
October 02, 3:17am

poncho tarp
"... I could use it as my rainfly for the hammock. Anyone ever use the golite poncho tarp?" I have the golite poncho tarp, and find it on the skimpy side as a hammock rainfly. In the ...

In Gear Lists » JMT Trail List...help!
September 03, 10:18am

Waist Belt
Last year I used the waist belt approach that Mike W showed. I would be concerned about velcro, as the can is pretty heavy. For the waist belt it took a little fiddling to unthread and then reth...

In Philosophy & Technique » How you carry your bear spray
September 01, 10:11am

All Reader Reviews by Brian Lewis

Showing 1 - 10 of 12 | Page: 1 2

Review

Category

Ursack Minor
The "Ursack Minor" is quite distinct from the traditional Ursack, in that it's not meant to be bear proof (or "resistant" or whatever). Instead, Ursack says it's "for...

In Miscellaneous Products
August 10, 9:05am

Golite Force
I use Golite shoes because the toe-box is shaped a lot more like the front of an actual human foot. More specifically, most trail runners or other shoes give me problems due to bunionettes (little to...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
August 10, 8:45am

Montbell Thermawrap jacket
For 3-season backpacking, my thermawrap jacket is my sole insulation layer, coupled in some limited cases with a thermawrap vest. It's just a fantastic piece of clothing in terms of both weight ...

In Clothing - Insulating - Synthetic (Polarguard, Primaloft, etc.)
August 10, 8:23am

Montbell Thermawrap Vest
I have a size medium Thermawrap jacket and a size large Thermawrap vest; I probably should have reversed those to be able to layer the vest under the jacket rather than over, but it actually works fin...

In Clothing - Insulating - Synthetic (Polarguard, Primaloft, etc.)
August 10, 8:15am

Thermarest Neo-Air
Like Dylan Carlson, I also used a Neo-Air (size regular for me) on a thru-hike. My thru-hike was of the Appalachian Trail, starting in late February (2010), so a lot of snow and cold weather in the f...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
August 10, 8:02am

REI REI Peak UL Compact Hiking Poles
I too had something over 3000 miles on my pair --- the majority of that thru-hiking the PCT in 2008 plus a variety of much shorter trips. I started my AT thru-hike with them (early in 2010), but just...

In Trekking Poles
August 10, 7:36am

Memory-Map Navigator
This is actually a comparison of two product alternatives for putting topographic software on a Windows Mobile platform smartphone with a true GPS. The 4/5 rating is for one of those, Memory-Map Navi...

In Navigation Gear & Accessories
September 22, 9:55pm

Golite Versa Force
Let me start by saying that my rating of '4' is tentative until I've done more miles in these. But as I found nothing useful in searching for reviews of currently-available Golite footwe...

August 10, 12:25pm

ULA Axis Crampon
I'm hoping to thru-hike the PCT next year, and one of many equipment issues for me was the question of whether to use crampons or not in the Sierras. I also do day hikes in "shoulder" s...

April 12, 12:13pm

Western Mountaineering SummerLite
I agree --- the summerlite is excellent. I frankly don't trust any individual evaluation of a sleeping bag temperature rating (32F in this case); so many things affect this, including not only th...

In Sleeping Bags - Mummy & Other
March 21, 10:59am