BPL Community Profile

Laurence Beck (beckla) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me I was born in Kansas City,MO. but raised in Riverside,CA before moving to Orange County, CA in 1989. I developed a love for backpacking in the Boy Scouts as a kid so, in 2004, I joined a local Hiking and Backpacking Club. My lightweight testimony has been an evolving story. I started out in 2004 with a base weight around 40 lbs, made a transitional reduction to 30 lbs and then to 25 lbs over the last couple of years. Now, with the help of BPL forums, I am down to about 14 1/2 lbs including a bear canister.
CitySan Juan Capistrano
StateCalifornia
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListMar 2011 - Stuck at 15-16 lbs

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Laurence Beck

Showing 151 - 160 of 245 | Page: 1 ...6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

Forum » Thread

Location of Donald I. Downs plague
Roleigh, I would not have seen it except my buddy happened to stop there to wait for me and he noticed it. If you were heading north you almost could not miss it even though it is a little off t...

In Post-Trip Reports » In memory of Donald I. Downs
October 08, 9:18pm

In memory of Donald I. Downs
This plaque is on the JMT just south of Forester Pass. If you are heading south you would walk right by it. We WERE heading south but somehow we noticed it. I really makes you realize how much work...

In Post-Trip Reports » In memory of Donald I. Downs
October 08, 4:19pm

finish the sentence...
I spent 9 days in the Sierras on the JMT this summer and I only used 1/2 of a bottle of Klear Water.

In GEAR » Water Purification / Filter
October 08, 4:03pm

Klear Water
As a preface, I normally hike in the local mountains of So Cal or in the Sierra's so really there is probably nothing wrong with the water anyway. For insurance I use Klear Water but I found th...

In GEAR » Water Purification / Filter
October 08, 3:51pm

Dryer lint fire starters
Take a cardboard egg container and stuff each hole with dryer lint. Melt some wax and pour it all over the egg container and the dryer lint. Let it cool and harden then you can pull off individual ...

In Philosophy & Technique » Dryer Lint
October 08, 3:38pm

Donald I. Downs
This plaque is on the JMT just south of Forester Pass. If you are heading south you would walk right by it. We WERE heading south but somehow we noticed it. I really makes you realize how much work...

In Photo Gallery » JMT-
October 08, 12:51pm

They really do stand behind their products..
I returned an REI Roadster tent after using it for a year. It was a pathetic tent and I really only expected to get some credit for it since it was used for a year. No, they gave me store credit fo...

In Gear Deals » 20% at REI
October 07, 4:24pm

Cool name and cool plan...
Enjoy...

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » JMT South Bound OCTOBER
October 07, 4:03pm

Early Sept
Hartleyf, A friend and I did the southern half the first week of September. We entered at South Lake in Bishop and then hiked to Whitney. The weather was perfect! The longest day did was 16 mi...

October 07, 2:15pm

Here is your itinerary
Day 1 Happy Isles to Clouds Rest trail – 6.7 miles camping at 7200ft (2200ft climb) Day 2 Clouds Rest trail to Tuolumne Meadows – 14.1 miles camping at 8500ft Day 3 Tuolumne Meadows to Lyell ...

October 07, 1:19pm

All Reader Reviews by Laurence Beck

Showing 1 - 3 of 3 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Big Agnes Seedhouse SL1
I purchased the Big Agnes SL1 three years ago and I have spent at least 30 nights in it. I am only 6 ft tall so the length is actually perfect for me. The real beauty of this tent is that it is light ...

In Shelters - Double Wall Tents
September 28, 8:27pm

Klearwater Klearwater
I have been using KlearWater for about 3-4 years and I love it. I refrigerate it while not in use and I have never had to throw out a bottle. My favorite feature is the ability to treat a larger quant...

In Hydration - Water Treatment
April 27, 12:08pm

National Geographic TOPO! Outdoor Recreation Mapping Software - California
I used Nat. Geographic's TOPO California to plan a John Muir Trail hike last summer (06). It was great at showing profiles and I loaded waypoints to my Garmin GPSMAP 60C. The one slight ptoblem is...

In Navigation Gear & Accessories
February 07, 5:18pm