BPL Community Profile

Brian Johns (bcutlerj) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale NorCal
About Me Brian Johns has not added a biography yet.
CitySan Francisco
StateCalifornia
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Brian Johns

Showing 151 - 160 of 720 | Page: 1 ...7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ...72

Forum » Thread

Field Notes Expedition
48 pages, waterproof paper and other info on the covers with dots to make a grid-like, but not graph paper notebook. you get three for $10. I am super happy as they are lighter and cheaper than t...

In GEAR » Adventures in mini writing supplies
January 21, 12:14am

Best knots
Don is my favorite. After that, I'll take a clove hitch around a trekking pole as a mid-point, bowline for non-adjustable loops, trucker's hitch (stupid easy) for adjustable guylines, and ...

In GEAR » Which knots are best for .........
January 20, 8:40pm

Asked and answered
before everyone else tells you to use the search function, here's what I learned when asking this question recently. To make a long story short, the OR Helium 2 or the Montane Featherlight see...

In GEAR » Rain Jacket
January 20, 8:39pm

Zpacks Duplex Maybe?
I'd look at the new Zpacks tents. The two-person has two doors/vestibules, is less than 20 ounces, and ... less than $600. For another 10 or so ounces, the Tarptent Stratospire Two has always...

In GEAR » Big Agnes Fly Creek Platinum UL2... Best tent for 2 doing 200 miles on PCT in SoCal?
January 20, 4:04pm

Re: Tad's $12,784 Big Four Gear Room
LOL - literally - funny, Tad. Thanks for the Chuckle. My name is Brian, and I am a Gear-aholic.

In GEAR » What's your big four weigh/cost? Me- 2 lbs 8.4 oz/$773
January 20, 3:56pm

Weight of Big 4
EDIT EDIT: Great video, Critter. I'd love to know more about "Critter-style camping," but I must say I also enjoyed your blustery summit vid, and the gear used unpacking vid. Keep u...

In GEAR » What's your big four weigh/cost? Me- 2 lbs 8.4 oz/$773
January 19, 8:59pm

Toaks Ti Bowls
They are made in China - which is at least for me less ubiquitous and unavoidable than it was three years ago - but I digress. Toaks has a range of Ti bowls that are steep sided, light and cheap at...

In GEAR » $50 Evernew 600 = $17 Snow Peak Ti bowl
January 19, 1:08pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: GGG Parking Lot Sale
Someone may want to bring umbrellas and sunscreen. You're likely to make out like el bandito. It was 78* F at 9:00 a.m. in Big Sur this morning, and it does not look like anything but high pr...

In Gear Swap » GGG Parking Lot Sale
January 17, 4:10pm

good news for me
My favorite thing about this thread, is learning that I wash my down gear as rarely as the next guy. Sleeping bag - every two to three years. Jacket - maybe once a year; maybe every other. I do g...

In GEAR » Water Repellent Down, One Year In
January 17, 3:48pm

Re: Making the Switch to a Quilt
Nick is right that a quilt may not be the best choice for some of the more athletic sleepers (you know who you are) when temperatures drop significantly below freezing. That said, to me, a quilt c...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Question for fellow side sleepers
January 16, 2:31pm

All Reader Reviews by Brian Johns

Brian Johns has posted no reviews.