Sept - AT Rt40 - Raven Rock overnighter - 28 miles

2013 trips:

Aug - Dolly Sods - weekender with friend - 12 miles
Dec - AT - overnighter from Rt 30 to Birch Run - 17 miles
CityPhiladelphia
StatePA
My Website URLhttp://asciibaron.hopto.org
My PDF Gear ListShoulder Season Tent and Tarp

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Steven Hanlon

Showing 151 - 160 of 422 | Page: 1 ...7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ...43

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: ahh
"Where did you find the el cheapo? Sounds like it might be worth looking into." Old Navy on clearance - the Active line regularly $40.00 on sale for $9.99. i can totally live with a t...

In Make Your Own Gear » Super Cat stove musings
March 16, 4:35pm

Re: Re: Second attempt...
"3. Your burner is not insulated from the cold surface underneath it. " i'm going to go with this - i was doing the testing on a glass top patio table in 56F temps. it was close e...

March 16, 3:36pm

Second attempt...
I picked up a fancy feast can on the way home and made a new stove. I can not bring 16oz of water to a boil with one fl oz of denatured alcohol. The denatured alcohol is the SLX from Walmart. Th...

March 16, 3:12pm

noodle or rice side dishes
i'm a fan of dressing up side dishes with foil pack meat. Spanish rice with a chunky chicken and black beans is a quick and yummy dinner that is pretty easy to clean up. i have added bbq sa...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Looking for instant food ideas.
March 16, 10:32am

Re: Cairns and LNT
"The problem is people believing that a place visited by many people is wilderness." but it sez so on the map :)

In Philosophy & Technique » Cairns and LNT?
March 16, 10:25am

selfishness
it seems that both sides of this coin are selfish - building a cairn and removing it. my future compromise solution is to never build one and to ignore the ones i see. i will just exist in na...

March 16, 10:17am

Re: Seems pretty selfish to me
"This person seems to feel that if he can make it up to a spot without cairns then everyone else should be forced to do the same. What arrogance." what arrogance it is to deem the loca...

March 16, 9:55am

over the top
not sure why there needed to be one cairn here let alone two. there is no trail here, just a great view of the valley. not to be out done, a section of the AT has 107 blazes in a 2 mile str...

March 16, 9:46am

simple...
is your hard drive installed upside down?

In Chaff » Upside Down Photos
March 16, 8:51am

the cans
Sierra Nevada in cans is like music to my ears. the can is the best beer package and i keep waiting for my local brewery to move to cans. they tell me the start up costs are insane and they just ...

In Chaff » "Beer in a Can"
March 16, 8:50am

All Reader Reviews by Steven Hanlon

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Marmot Precip Jacket Mens
i picked up my Marmot Precip in 2005 from REI for $42.83 - i figured i couldn't go wrong at that price. if it didn't work well for backpacking, i could wear it as a casual jacket. it has b...

In Clothing - Raingear
November 11, 8:13am

McHale 0-Sarc UL
I have the SARC Chasm version and would recommend this pack to anyone who has suffered with ill fitting mass produced packs. It's a tad on the heavy side, but for me, that's not a problem sin...

In Backpacks - Internal Frame
April 27, 5:34pm