BPL Community Profile

Adam Rothermich (aroth87) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Missouri Ozarks
About Me Graduate of Missouri S&T with a B.S. in Electrical Engineering.

I got my start hiking in Scouts and earned Eagle in 2004. Continued hiking in college and took an interest in trail maintenance/ construction.

I really like making my own gear and my favorite piece of gear is my homemade down quilt.

Other hobbies include playing with photography, computers, and tinkering with electronics.
CityLenexa
StateKS

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Adam Rothermich

Showing 151 - 160 of 729 | Page: 1 ...7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ...73

Forum » Thread

Re: Is a thermarest "Neo-Air" actually worth the price difference?
I guessing a Neoair doesn't work well as a pack frame. What do you folks use as a pack frame? Or does the Neoair work ok if you slightly inflate it? I've currently got a Prolite Plus that w...

In GEAR » Is a thermarest "Neo-Air" actually worth the price difference?
April 09, 1:38pm

Re: Prep for our second backpacking trip... evolution
That's great, another ULer in the making! It sounds like you guys are off to a great start. I've related this story a few times but every time I hear about a Scout's first hiking tri...

In Backpacking Light with Scouts » Prep for our second backpacking trip... evolution
April 08, 9:57am

Re: Shirt can help
Ian, I've also got a fishing shirt that works great for hot weather. Mine is from Cabelas and the collar is designed taller in the back so it can protect your neck from the sun but also rolls d...

In GEAR » Hat Options
April 08, 9:35am

Re: Hat Options
I also like my Buff over a wide range of temperature but during warmer weather I prefer a ball cap to keep the sun out of my eyes. I just got a Sunday Afternoons Sun Tripper hat and like it quite a...

In GEAR » Hat Options
April 07, 4:06pm

Re: Post hike rituals
There's been a recent shift in my post-hike ritual. I used to like to find a diner and get hashbrowns (covered, if possible) and biscuits and gravy and cover it all with hot sauce and wash it d...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Post-hike rituals
April 07, 10:48am

Re: BPL Stealth Nano setup and pitching tips
I attach my guylines to the tie outs with a bowline knot. But I make the loop pretty large and slip the tip of my trekking pole into the extra loop. The same could be done with a carabiner or S-hoo...

In GEAR » BPL Stealth Nano setup and pitching tips
April 04, 8:17am

Re: Swappin' Out My Shorts
Have you tried using Sportslick or Body Glide? I also hike in running shorts and get chafing in humid weather but find that Sportslick works really well for me. I just put a little bit on in the mo...

In GEAR » Swappin' Out My Shorts
April 04, 8:08am

Re: Post hike rituals- gear maintenance
ISTP here. Looks like I'm the opposite of the majority. My first priority when I get home is a shower. After that I will normally hang my shelter and quilt to air dry. My shoes often get relega...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Post hike rituals- gear maintenance
April 03, 11:55am

Re: 10 Reasons why you should never spend time in the backcountry
You might be sore at the end of the day. You might be still be sore when you wake up. Adam

In Philosophy & Technique » 10 Reasons why you should never spend time in the backcountry
April 02, 3:02pm

Re: Input on new headlamp?
I tried an e-lite for a while but never really liked it. It was ok around camp but far from ideal it you wanted to night hike, or even just go off and relieve yourself. I ended up switching to a Ze...

In GEAR » Input on new headlamp?
April 01, 6:17am

All Reader Reviews by Adam Rothermich

Showing 1 - 10 of 13 | Page: 1 2

Review

Category

Melanzana micro grid hoody
Let me just echo everything the previous reviewer said. The fit is great, not tight and not baggy, the sleeves are just the right length, and the pocket is useful. As for the hood, I was a little s...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - SYNTHETIC
February 11, 12:53pm

BPL FireLite Mini Firestarter
I keep this around my neck with some other "just in case" items. I too have a little bit of a hard time getting it to work consistently and use matches as my primary means of fire starting. ...

In First Aid and Survival Gear & Accessories
April 15, 8:57pm

Gossamer Gear ThinLight insulation pad 1/8" approx. 2 oz.
I've been using my GG 1/8" Thinlight both to supplement my GG Nightlight Torso and as a sit pad. Its great with the torso pad to insulate your legs on colder nights. It provides some addi...

In Sleeping Pads - Foam
February 21, 10:55am

Petzl e+LITE
Like Craig, I don't use a light that much, mostly just for chores around camp that I can't preform with only moonlight. As such I was tired of lugging around my "heavy" 3 oz PT Auror...

In Lights - Flashlights & Headlamps
October 07, 9:56am

Gossamer Gear G6 Whisper
One more person to note how fragile it seems. I've got a spinnaker tarp and groundsheet, so I was aware how fragile it seemed but I always feel a little wary when I sit this pack down. So far I ha...

In Backpacks - Frameless
September 16, 9:16pm

Gossamer Gear
I placed my first order from Gossamer Gear, a Nightlight Torso and Lighten Up! DVD last Wednesday. I received my first order from GG last Saturday. Now that's fast! As for their products, they se...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
March 06, 8:37am

Gossamer Gear Nightlight Torso
I just received my Nightlight torso and these are merely my initial observations. It is REALLY light, mine weighs 3.6 oz. I bought it to replace an older Thermarest pad that weighed about 26 oz and t...

In Sleeping Pads - Foam
March 06, 8:34am

Lighten Up DVD with Glen Van Peski .
For only $5 this DVD has a lot to offer. I began converting to UL backpacking awhile ago, but reading books and advice on the forums just isn't quite the same as seeing it in action. I'm a v...

In Books and Media
March 05, 1:13pm

Princeton Tech Aurora
I picked up the PT Aurora 4 or so years ago when I was starting to get into backpacking. I looked at a few different headlamps, but at the time this seemed like the best value. Since then it has b...

In Lights - Flashlights & Headlamps
January 30, 1:27pm

Tealight stove Tealight
After not getting great results with other alcohol stoves on my SP 700 I decided to try out the tealight stove. Nothing could be easier to 'make.' Just find an extra tealight laying around th...

In Stoves - Alcohol
January 11, 10:12am