BPL Community Profile

Will Rietveld (WilliWabbit) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southwest Colorado
About Me Will Rietveld Ph.D, Senior Editor for Gear and Apparel, joined the BPL staff in April 2004. In his former career, Will was a research scientist, project manager, and R&D program administrator. Now retired, he lives in southern Colorado where he takes up a new career of backpacking year-round in the mountains and canyon country of the Southwest. During the summer months Will and his wife Janet are volunteer wilderness rangers in the Weminuche Wilderness. He has been a lightweight backpacker for 52 years and an ultralight backpacker for 13 years.
CityDurango
StateColorado
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://home.bresnan.net/~swultralight/

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Will Rietveld

Showing 151 - 160 of 292 | Page: 1 ...7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ...30

Forum » Thread

Responses to GoLite Inferno Questions
Hi everyone, here's my responses to your questions: Kathy: I believe GoLite has hooded and non-hooded versions of this jacket. Eric: GoLite does not specify the amount of down in the jack...

In Editor's Roundtable » GoLite Hooded Inferno Jacket Review
March 12, 12:35pm

Re: Re: Lightest?
I think Ashley wins in this discussion. She's right, its more prudent to identify the tents that fit into a particular class based on weight and intended use, then make your decision based on t...

In Editor's Roundtable » Big Sky International Montana 2P Tent Review
February 26, 7:45am

Re: Re: Re: Lightest?
Some debate here on which BSI Montana tent to compare the Stephenson's 2R to. I was comparing silnylon tents with 2 aluminum poles to each other, which seems like a fair comparison. The Montana...

February 25, 1:38pm

Re: Lightest?
We need to compare apples with apples here. The stated weight of the Stephenson's 2R standard tent without options is 2.75 pounds. The measured trail weight (with stakes) of the BSI 3-season Mo...

February 25, 12:01pm

Re: Re: Salomon Tundra Mid WP Insulated Boot Review
Richard, these boots are actually comfortable across a fairly broad temperature range, from about 25 F on down to below zero. As the discussion has pointed out, the warmer it is and the more active...

In Editor's Roundtable » Salomon Tundra Mid WP Insulated Boot Review
February 22, 4:14pm

Re: Re: Re: Moisture control
Hi Bob. You make a lot of excellent points, and there is little to add. I agree with you, its important to keep the inside of your boots dry on a multi-day trip. I would use thin socks too, or the ...

February 22, 3:54pm

Re: Moisture control
Hi Bob. You raise some good questions here, and I would like to add my comments in addition to Roger's. MOISTURE ACCUMULATION: Not a big problem on day trips, but can be a major issue on mu...

February 21, 1:55pm

Sublite Responses
Hi all, my responses to Sublite questions: Dondo: Regarding the Tyvek Sublite leaking in an intense thunderstorm, I submitted a video documenting that, but for some reason it did not get include...

In Editor's Roundtable » Tarptent Sublite Tent Review
January 08, 8:08am

Gesr for Cold/Wet
Great article Chris! Nobody knows wet and cold like you do. Building igloos in Yellowstone til midnight must be a walk in the park for you, compared to walking in the Scottish highlands! Best, ...

In Editor's Roundtable » Gear Suited for Wet, Cold Weather Hiking
December 11, 8:30am

Responses to SW Shelters SOTMR
Hi all, thanks for all of your great comments. Ryan has already provides some responses, and I will add some too. Miguel, you taut me an important spelling lesson; I won't do it again, I pro...

In Editor's Roundtable » State of the Market Report: Single Wall Tents (2008)
November 27, 12:47pm

All Reader Reviews by Will Rietveld

Showing 1 - 4 of 4 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Integral Designs eVENT Shortie Gaiters
I have used these gaiters a lot and really like them. I don't mind their zipperless/Velcroless design, its lighter and simpler. I have size L. For me, they fit very well over mid or full height boo...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
April 23, 8:09am

Six Moon Designs Comet
The new Comet backpack has removeable aluminum stays which allow it to be used as either a frameless or internal frame pack. Without stays it weighs 22 oz and with stays it weighs 27 oz. The Comet ...

In Backpacks - Internal Frame
August 03, 7:50pm

Lighten Up! by Don Ladigin
I just got this book and its superb! As I paged through the book, I kept saying yes, right on, perfect, exactly! Don presents the UL gospel clearly and concisely, and the illustrations by Mike Clellan...

In Books and Media
August 03, 7:36pm

Gossamer Gear Fire-fly
The Fire-fly is a real lightweight stove made by mo-go-gear and sold by Gossamer Gear. The whole kit weighs 1.5 ounces and includes the burner, pot stand, windscreen, and heat reflector. The open j...

In Stoves - Alcohol
August 03, 7:24pm