Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Thomas Knighton (Tomcat1066) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Southwest GA
About Me I'm new, but the idea of carrying around 50 lbs of gear is not enticing in the least. I've spent a lot of time car camping in the past, and truthfully, it got boring. I wanted something new and exciting. I wanted to see places most folks will never see because they just don't have what it takes. Backpacking is something I've always wanted to do. Now, I'm doing it!
CityAlbany
StateGA
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListPine Mountain Trail Overnight Gear List

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Thomas Knighton

Showing 151 - 160 of 246 | Page: 1 ...6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

Forum » Thread

Visa
I always use my Visa check card, since it has the Visa fraud protection on it. Thus far, I haven't had to use it, but verified it was there when a company I had ordered some stuff from turned ...

In Gear Deals » Golite clearance items at ccoutdoorstore.com
February 08, 4:16am

MLD Refresh
Glad it helped folks :) Tom

In Gear Deals » MLD has some problems
February 06, 7:03am

MLD Problems?
Try refreshing your page if you get the logo and a list of items. I did that and the new page opened up fine for me. Tom

In Gear Deals » MLD has some problems
February 05, 1:38pm

Re: Ben, only two? re:Smartwool L/S shirt for $39
Brett, Now THAT is what I call a hat :D Tom

In Gear Deals » Smartwool L/S shirt for $39
February 05, 9:00am

RE: So many Crocs to choose from...?
My thoughts are, why? I understand what traditional backpackers carry them, because their boots are heavy and they want something lighter for camp, but with lightweight trail running shoes? I just...

In GEAR » So many Crocs to choose from...?
February 05, 3:35am

dry food costs
Einstein, You mentioned the costs of commericially prepared food versus drying yourself. And yep, for a one shot, it's probably cheaper to buy the commercially done stuff. But it feeds ho...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Food drying
February 03, 5:34am

Re: Ultralight gear list - Help/Ideas?
Just a few things I'm seeing thus far, but you asked for help/ideas so here they are ;) First, your stove looks a bit on the heavy side. 150 grams works out to a bit over 5.25 ounces. Ther...

In Gear Lists » Ultralight gear list - Help/Ideas?
February 03, 5:26am

Re: Re: List
Jane, If you haven't already purchased the BPL spoon, take a look at the Light My Fire spork instead. Unlike many sporks, it has a full fork end, and a spoon end. It's pretty durable, ...

In Gear Lists » Optimal Gear List, Filming the AT
February 02, 8:40pm

Re: Ove Glove
I've got one of these without the silicone visible in the above pictures. I love it for home use, and thought about it for backpacking, but I'm just not in love with the weight. Tom

In Multiple Use Gear » Ove Glove
February 02, 8:33pm

Re: Re: Re: Food drying
I'm not really brushed up on this stuff, but I don't see why the door would have to be open if there is a fan. After all, from what I can tell, the quality dehydrators all seem to basicall...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Food drying
February 02, 9:14am

All Reader Reviews by Thomas Knighton

Showing 1 - 9 of 9 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Golite Jam
I bought my GoLite Jam on closeout, since I was gearing up completely and needed to save money where I could. However, after trying the pack out, I have to say it was money well spent. I currently r...

In Backpacks - Frameless
October 25, 7:19am

Petzl e+LITE
I got caught out past dark, and my e+Light really saved my butt. On maximum, it was enough to help me find my way for the next couple of miles to get to camp, and help me set up. I didn't notice...

In Lights - Flashlights & Headlamps
October 22, 7:37am

Lighten Up! by Don Ladigin
First, let me preface this by saying that I found no new information in the book really. However, that doesn't take away from the book. What I did was read it in the context to which it was inte...

In Books and Media
October 11, 7:04am

Light My Fire Spork
I bought one of these about a year ago to test as a possible piece of gear for my first backpacking trip. I promptly bought one for my wife and one for my son! These puppies are the best design out ...

In Cookware - Other
September 14, 3:37pm

Lighten Up DVD with Glen Van Peski .
I purchased this DVD as a bit of a lark. I had heard some good things about it, and wanted to actually SEE some of the ultralight gear and techniques put to use. Not only that, but one of my guilty ...

In Books and Media
February 10, 7:32am

Lightweight Backpacking and Camping by Ryan Jordan et al.
First, there is no better book on ultralight backpacking that I've read. This book is good for the beginner who decides to start ultralight, or the experienced traditional backpacker who wants to...

In Books and Media
February 10, 7:25am

Coleman Peak 1 Microstove
Purchased partly by accident, partly by impatience, the Peak 1 Microstove is actually a pleasant surprise. It's easy to light, easy to control, fairly fuel efficient, and realitively inexpensive ...

In Stoves - Canister
January 06, 4:31pm

The Ultralight Backpacker by Ryel Kestenbaum
When I stumbled across this book at my local bookstore, I was excited beyond belief. A book on ultralight backpacking was exactly what I was looking for, and Lighten Up! was apparently sold out. &qu...

In Books and Media
January 06, 4:25pm

The Backpacker's Field Manual by Rick Curtis
Being new to backpacking, I picked up this book as a primer for my understand of the subject of backpacking. It's target audience is primarily people like me, who are new to backpacking and want ...

In Books and Media
January 02, 3:04am