BPL Community Profile

Charles G. (Rincon) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale Desert Southwest
About Me Mountaineer and backpacker since 1946 mainly in the western US but with excursions to Antarctica, Alaska, western Canada, North Africa and Japan. Hiked the John Muir Trail solo and unsupported in 1954; this was the start of my lightweight endeavors which have proceeded erratically ever since.
StateSE Arizona
My PDF Gear ListThree season gear for western mountains.

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Charles G.

Showing 151 - 160 of 281 | Page: 1 ...7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ...29

Forum » Thread

SPF clothing required?
I live in SE AZ south of Tucson. I do pretty much the same thing as you; I wear light synthetic pants and a light long-sleeved shirt and a full brimmed hat. I don't pay much attention to the ...

In GEAR » SPF clothing required?
October 01, 7:32am

What do you look for in a backcountry camera?
I want a camera that takes reasonably good photos without a lot of fussing around. That restricts my choices to cameras of the "point-and-shoot" ilk. I use a Canon PowerShot A570IS. It...

In GEAR » What do you look for in a backcountry camera?
September 30, 1:31pm

Recover from a bruised heel
My regimen of 3x daily, 3-200 mg tablets is based on an earlier prescription of 1-1000 mg tablet 4 x per day, from a physician who was treating my left foot for the same thing, plantar fasciitis fr...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Recover from a bruised heel
September 27, 4:44pm

Ibuprofen
Lawrence, I am in the process of 3x 800 ibuprofen per day for a sore heel right now. It has definitely reduced the pain and if I don't push things it looks as though the heel will heal :).

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Recover from a bruised heel
September 27, 6:50am

Bad Water in the Red Desert
A filter will not remove alkali from water any more than it will remove sodium chloride but it shouldn't hurt the filter. A filter will remove bacteria and protozoa spores from alkaline water....

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Bad Water in the Red Desert
September 19, 8:05am

Indeed?
"Whatever you do, don't buy golite gear. won'tlast but a couple trips. by dat 6 or 7 you are tired of being gentle with the gear." John, either you are really hard on gear or I...

In GEAR » advice on woman's UL packs
September 18, 4:15pm

Nonsense +1
Russell, your commentary is right on target. I also have to spend a lot more time than I like explaining to non-hiking acquaintances that the hiking dangers they see and hear about on TV is largel...

In Philosophy & Technique » Thinking About Bears and Cougars
September 08, 1:04pm

huckleberries
Huckleberries, lingonberries, bllberries, cranberries and blueberries are all in the same genus, Vaccinium of the family Ericaceae. There are between 400 and 500 species in this genus; the idea of...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » huckleberries
September 06, 1:45pm

You Tell Me...What is the Best Gear Ever???
There is a book that was published by the Sierra Club in 1952 titled "Going Light With Backpack or Burro". A lot of the items and ideas discussed here are also outlined in this book. Th...

In GEAR » You Tell Me...What is the Best Gear Ever???
August 21, 7:55am

Which sleeping bag should I take?
You would probably be OK with the Hydrogen as long as you don't mind sleeping in a lot of your clothes. It can easily get down to 25° at night in mid-September in the Sierra above 10,000'...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Which sleeping bag should I take?
August 20, 8:40pm

All Reader Reviews by Charles G.

Showing 1 - 1 of 1 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Big Agnes Fly Creek UL1
Rating: rated 4 of 5 stars Design: Semi-free-standing Sleeps: 1 Ease of Setup: Moderately easy Weight: 2 lb, 3 oz Price Paid: $240 I bought the Big Agnes Fly Creek to replace a Tarptent Contra...

In Shelters - Double Wall Tents
February 12, 7:32pm