BPL Community Profile

Rex Sanders (Rex) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale Central California Coast
About Me Started backpacking with the Boy Scouts in the 1960s, which should have cured me, but friends intervened. Failed PCT thru-hikes in 1976, 1980, and other adventures (whitewater rafting 1987-present) put backpacking on hold for a while.

In 1998 I read Jardine's PCT book and saw the light. I'm not super- ultra- anything, my base weight is about 13 pounds. But I'm back on the trails again.
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Rex Sanders

Showing 151 - 160 of 515 | Page: 1 ...7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ...52

Forum » Thread

Equinox ponchos
I have the Equinox Terrapin Ultralite Poncho / Shelter: http://www.equinoxltd.com/the-gear/raingear/terrapin-ultralite-poncho-shelter.cfm with the extension to go over a backpack (58x104 inches)....

In GEAR » Looking for a decent poncho/tarp
March 02, 5:54pm

Need a water filter? Peel a tree branch - or not
MIT researchers found that a small chunk of Eastern White Pine branch can effectively filter E. coli bacteria and probably most viruses from water. MIT press release, PLOS One journal article. ...

In GEAR » Need a water filter? Peel a tree branch - or not
February 27, 9:30pm

Smog and Rubber Bands
Delmar, As an ex-resident of the Inland Empire during some of the smoggiest years ("what mountains?"), I can say that smog will kill rubber bands and many other rubber-like products qu...

In GEAR » Quality Rubber Bands
February 26, 1:29pm

NOAA and NOLS on lightning safety
NOAA Lightning Risk Reduction Outdoors: There is little you can do to substantially reduce your risk if you are outside in a thunderstorm. The only completely safe action is to get inside a safe...

In Philosophy & Technique » Thunderstorms in the wilderness – What to do
February 26, 1:07pm

Three
One pair for sleeping, helps overnight recovery and keeps my sleeping bag much cleaner. Will upgrade soon to extra-large sleeping socks, so my feet aren't constricted at night. Two pairs for...

In GEAR » How Many Pairs of Socks Do You Carry?
February 18, 8:55pm

GPS: Happy 25th birthday
25 years ago today, the US Air Force launched the first operational GPS satellite, USA-35. Whether you use GPS while backpacking or not, the maps you use are much more accurate because of GPS. A...

In GEAR » GPS: Happy 25th birthday
February 14, 11:09am

Re: Re: Re: inReach Month by Month, Coming Mid-March
The new Safety Plan has some interesting price changes: Annual monthly cost: $11.95 was $9.95 Predefined messages - Unlimited, was $1.50 each over the bundled 10 messages Messages $0.50 ea...

In GEAR » DeLorme inReach SE announced, ships mid to late April
February 13, 9:58pm

Re: World Nomads
To find World Nomads terms and conditions you must drill down, specify your state of residence, and choose between their Standard and Expedition Plans. http://www.worldnomads.com/travel-insuranc...

In Editor's Roundtable » Rescue Insurance for Backpackers
February 13, 9:37pm

Re: Maps
+1 on the Raven map of California. Good for dreaming, not detailed enough for backpack trip planning. Decades ago I covered the walls of my bedroom with good old fashioned USGS 1:250,000 topo ma...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Great Poster Map of Sierra Nevada - A Recomendation
February 10, 11:53pm

Trash bags
Trash bags are lighter and cheaper than most cheap ponchos. For a step up in longevity use trash compactor bags. Both are multi-use if you don't get any rain. For a step up in your longevity...

In GEAR » Best of the Cheap Ponchos? Polycryo Poncho Yet?
February 10, 11:39pm

All Reader Reviews by Rex Sanders

Rex Sanders has posted no reviews.