BPL Community Profile

Rex Sanders (Rex) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale Central California Coast
About Me Started backpacking with the Boy Scouts in the 1960s, which should have cured me, but friends intervened. Failed PCT thru-hikes in 1976, 1980, and other adventures (whitewater rafting 1987-present) put backpacking on hold for a while.

In 1998 I read Jardine's PCT book and saw the light. I'm not super- ultra- anything, my base weight is about 13 pounds. But I'm back on the trails again.
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Rex Sanders

Showing 151 - 160 of 519 | Page: 1 ...7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ...52

Forum » Thread

One weird trick eliminates headlamp problems
There is a government conspiracy to keep the best headlamps out of the hands of civilians, so that when the One World Order takes over at night, they have the upper hand. Read on for one weird tric...

In GEAR » Headlamp recommendations
March 08, 9:49am

Mmmm... Pepper Spray
http://articles.latimes.com/1998/feb/15/news/mn-19305 ANCHORAGE — It's not what backpackers and hikers want to hear--the pepper spray they count on to scare off bears may actually attract ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Bears in Yosemite
March 05, 10:59pm

Veggie meal ideas
Have your girlfriend try meals at home before you go. Some people like simple, some need a three course meal. I like extremely simple. If Purina made vegetarian People Chow, I'd buy 50 pound ba...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » meal ideas with a vegetarian in mind...
March 04, 10:39pm

Re: Simple tree branch filter makes dirty water drinkable
See also this BPL thread. -- Rex

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Simple tree branch filter makes dirty water drinkable
March 04, 4:40pm

Equinox ponchos
I have the Equinox Terrapin Ultralite Poncho / Shelter: http://www.equinoxltd.com/the-gear/raingear/terrapin-ultralite-poncho-shelter.cfm with the extension to go over a backpack (58x104 inches)....

In GEAR » Looking for a decent poncho/tarp
March 02, 5:54pm

Need a water filter? Peel a tree branch - or not
MIT researchers found that a small chunk of Eastern White Pine branch can effectively filter E. coli bacteria and probably most viruses from water. MIT press release, PLOS One journal article. ...

In GEAR » Need a water filter? Peel a tree branch - or not
February 27, 9:30pm

Smog and Rubber Bands
Delmar, As an ex-resident of the Inland Empire during some of the smoggiest years ("what mountains?"), I can say that smog will kill rubber bands and many other rubber-like products qu...

In GEAR » Quality Rubber Bands
February 26, 1:29pm

NOAA and NOLS on lightning safety
NOAA Lightning Risk Reduction Outdoors: There is little you can do to substantially reduce your risk if you are outside in a thunderstorm. The only completely safe action is to get inside a safe...

In Philosophy & Technique » Thunderstorms in the wilderness – What to do
February 26, 1:07pm

Three
One pair for sleeping, helps overnight recovery and keeps my sleeping bag much cleaner. Will upgrade soon to extra-large sleeping socks, so my feet aren't constricted at night. Two pairs for...

In GEAR » How Many Pairs of Socks Do You Carry?
February 18, 8:55pm

GPS: Happy 25th birthday
25 years ago today, the US Air Force launched the first operational GPS satellite, USA-35. Whether you use GPS while backpacking or not, the maps you use are much more accurate because of GPS. A...

In GEAR » GPS: Happy 25th birthday
February 14, 11:09am

All Reader Reviews by Rex Sanders

Rex Sanders has posted no reviews.