BPL Community Profile

Rex Sanders (Rex) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale Central California Coast
About Me Started backpacking with the Boy Scouts in the 1960s, which should have cured me, but friends intervened. Failed PCT thru-hikes in 1976, 1980, and other adventures (whitewater rafting 1987-present) put backpacking on hold for a while.

In 1998 I read Jardine's PCT book and saw the light. I'm not super- ultra- anything, my base weight is about 13 pounds. But I'm back on the trails again.
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Rex Sanders

Showing 151 - 160 of 511 | Page: 1 ...7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ...52

Forum » Thread

Three
One pair for sleeping, helps overnight recovery and keeps my sleeping bag much cleaner. Will upgrade soon to extra-large sleeping socks, so my feet aren't constricted at night. Two pairs for...

In GEAR » How Many Pairs of Socks Do You Carry?
February 18, 8:55pm

GPS: Happy 25th birthday
25 years ago today, the US Air Force launched the first operational GPS satellite, USA-35. Whether you use GPS while backpacking or not, the maps you use are much more accurate because of GPS. A...

In GEAR » GPS: Happy 25th birthday
February 14, 11:09am

Re: Re: Re: inReach Month by Month, Coming Mid-March
The new Safety Plan has some interesting price changes: Annual monthly cost: $11.95 was $9.95 Predefined messages - Unlimited, was $1.50 each over the bundled 10 messages Messages $0.50 ea...

In GEAR » DeLorme inReach SE announced, ships mid to late April
February 13, 9:58pm

Re: World Nomads
To find World Nomads terms and conditions you must drill down, specify your state of residence, and choose between their Standard and Expedition Plans. http://www.worldnomads.com/travel-insuranc...

In Editor's Roundtable » Rescue Insurance for Backpackers
February 13, 9:37pm

Re: Maps
+1 on the Raven map of California. Good for dreaming, not detailed enough for backpack trip planning. Decades ago I covered the walls of my bedroom with good old fashioned USGS 1:250,000 topo ma...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Great Poster Map of Sierra Nevada - A Recomendation
February 10, 11:53pm

Trash bags
Trash bags are lighter and cheaper than most cheap ponchos. For a step up in longevity use trash compactor bags. Both are multi-use if you don't get any rain. For a step up in your longevity...

In GEAR » Best of the Cheap Ponchos? Polycryo Poncho Yet?
February 10, 11:39pm

Acurite vs weather station at GGG
Got to compare my Acurite Digital Window Thermometer laying on a Pelican Box just outside my tent, to an official weather station 3/4 mile away at the same elevation, one ridge over: RAWS Cordoza R...

In Editor's Roundtable » Backpacking With A Thermometer
February 09, 11:26pm

5 gallon bucket - many other BPL uses
You probably don't want to backpack with a 5 gallon bucket, which weighs 785 to 1157 grams (1.73 to 2.55 pounds). But they have many other BPL uses at home and elsewhere: Failure testing MYO...

In Philosophy & Technique » The 5 gallon bucket gear filter
February 08, 12:14pm

Another headlamp review: The Wirecutter picks BD Spot
This update today to The Wirecutter's headlamp review: http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-headlamp/ relies heavily on the Outdoor Gear Lab reviews, and does some real world testing of thei...

In GEAR » Excellent headlamp review and deceptive advertising
February 02, 8:52pm

Re: Outdoor Herbivore
When Outdoor Herbivore dinners are good, they are very, very good. But they seem to have quality control issues. Several reviewers complain about meals not cooking completely despite following t...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Outdoor Herbivore
January 31, 10:44pm

All Reader Reviews by Rex Sanders

Rex Sanders has posted no reviews.