BPL Community Profile

John Donewar (Newton) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southeastern Louisiana
About Me Bitten by the hiking bug in 2008. The "infection" persists and I am not in search of cure. :-)
Reinfected by the MYOG bug in 2009 and I am still not in search of a cure. :-)
If I am not hiking I am reading about it or working on my gear.
Became a BPL Lifetime Member 5/1/11.
CityGretna
StateLouisiana
CountryU.S.A.

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by John Donewar

Showing 151 - 160 of 1749 | Page: 1 ...7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ...175

Forum » Thread

Re: Uncertainties.
And we thought that The Quest for Fire was complicated. Whew! Does anyone remember the KISS principle? Keep It Sublimly Simple. Fuel goes into stove. Stove is lit. Water goes in pot. P...

In Make Your Own Gear » Titanium Windscreen Design
January 22, 10:34am

Re: Razor
I found this rather neat little idea for a travel/trail razor. http://dvice.com/archives/2011/08/carzor-stashes.php Yeah it's gonna be a little heavier but it's dual use. The shav...

In Make Your Own Gear » Long spoon with storage in handle
January 22, 4:50am

Need to shave on the trail?
Colin, Does the "razor" attach to the arrow shaft spoon handle somehow? Party On, Newton

In Make Your Own Gear » Long spoon with storage in handle
January 22, 4:00am

Re: Tarp - 2 questions
"So how long would my tarp need to be? Bivy length + 2 feet?" Tyler it's relatively easy to figure. Do the string thing. Lay your bivy out on the ground and using mason line ...

In Make Your Own Gear » Bivy Plans - Checking on materials
January 20, 9:57pm

Re: Laminar and turbulent flow
"Especially if you've got an identical Foster's can, try increasing its surface roughness with bits of foil, tiny tabs, etc. You may find a significant increase in heat transfer (if yo...

In Make Your Own Gear » Titanium Windscreen Design
January 20, 7:30am

Re: Quit riding me!
Max, " I'm not the only one in this thread that puts stock into color." Agreed! I'd have chosen a "color" also if when I bought my tent from Judy at Lightheart ...

In GEAR » What's your favorite 3-season 1P tent?
January 19, 5:15pm

Re: Why the Tarptent Contrail?
Max, If it's a tarptent, it's gray silnylon or white Tyvek. Check out Henry's gallery. http://www.tarptent.com/gallery.html You could email Henry at... info@tarptent.com ...

In GEAR » What's your favorite 3-season 1P tent?
January 19, 3:01pm

Re: Now for a tarp - Dimensions and plans
Tyler, If you want downpour protection when it's needed I'd suggest going a little longer than 9' in length. With your bivy's length at 8' you might want to add some lengt...

January 19, 10:33am

Re: Finished!
Tyler, Get some rest as it seems you were up late putting the final touches on you bivy. I can't wait for the posting of the "More (and better) photos". Party On, Newton

January 19, 5:17am

Re: ...early adventures in gear making.
Travis, Yeah the yaks wouldn't cooperate anymore and I had to reduce the size of the tents and the number of poles down to 1 pair of trekking poles. I even let go of my merino and silk b...

In GEAR » Kletterworks
January 18, 7:32pm

All Reader Reviews by John Donewar

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Under Armour Men's UA Escape 7" Solid Shorts
Here are the particulars. Ultra-lightweight woven fabric. Mesh internal liner. 360° Reflectivity Hand pockets for your essentials. 7” inseam 2.2 oz. Polyester Men'...</td>          
           <td class=

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - SYNTHETIC
September 29, 10:56am

Scope Outlast
This is a first for me as I have never posted a gear review before. The Scope Outlast Minibrush probably isn't really even considered as hiking gear. Scope Outlast Minibrush

In Backpacks - External Frame
August 13, 12:14pm