BPL Community Profile

John McAlpine (HairlessApe) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale PNW
About Me I now have my base weight down to 12 pounds. I'm fine with that. Any lighter seems to make for a less comfortable trip. Just turned 50 and looking forward to some epic thru-hikes.
CitySeattle
StateWashington
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by John McAlpine

Showing 151 - 160 of 444 | Page: 1 ...7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ...45

Forum » Thread

Cuben Fiber Fly?
I assume you can drop the weight even more with a cuben fiber fly. I see them on Joe's site at zpacks......oh...I have nothing to do with zpacks, that was the first site that came to my mind.

In Editor's Roundtable » Hennessy Hyperlite Asym Zip Hammock Review
August 10, 9:14am

Great Article
Yea...I stopped buying their China made jackets and switched to Westcomb. At least Westcomb is still made in Vancouver. No I don't work for Westcomb.

In GEAR » Arcteryx not the original dead bird
July 28, 9:57am

Picked up Five...real nice!
I just received 5 sets and they'll definately serve the purpose I need them for. I'm filling them with suntan lotion, Dr Bronners, insect repellent, and Aquamira. They will be mailed in m...

In Gear Deals » Mini Dropper Bottles
July 26, 4:13pm

Can't find old thread about Auxillery Batteries for Cell Phones
Found it..... http://www.etsy.com/listing/77534861/minty-boost-usb-gadget-charger-in-an

In GEAR » Can't find old thread about Auxillery Batteries for Cell Phones
July 22, 12:36pm

Not Mid-West Summer
Sarah...look out your window now. This is why we live in Seattle. Today is a great day. We just needed it about a month ago. I just want a little sun to get rid of the snow. I'm not aski...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » When will this Snow Melt?
July 22, 12:22pm

When will this Snow Melt?
The snow this year on the PCT is not going away. I was going to do a SOBO PCT but we still have unheard of amounts of snow up here in Washington. So I've decided to take the bus to Ashland Or...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » When will this Snow Melt?
July 22, 8:47am

Good for only first person - 25% off REI brand item
I got this via email and I won't be using this. 1st person to use it gets 25% off an REI brand item. Your personal savings code is only good once, so be sure to purchase everything togethe...

In Gear Deals » Good for only first person - 25% off REI brand item
July 19, 9:09am

Lightheart Cuben Solo
Great article and inforamtional read as usual. I truely enjoy your reviews. The cuben Lightheart Solo is a double wall tent and Judy advertises it at 14 oz. I have the tent with optional awning ...

In Editor's Roundtable » Terra Nova Laser Ultra 1 Tent Review
June 27, 8:58am

Thank You Mary D,
That's exactly how I feel. I don't like or trust the security. Last month it was announced that 51% of American's are signed up on Facebook, that's 49% of us that won't see Ro...

In Gear Deals » MLD News June 2011- Goodbye Spinntex- we loved you...
June 26, 4:27pm

Cuben Sublite
I bought the all cuben lightheart tent......and it sounds like their maker Judy is busy sewng many.

In GEAR » Cuben Fiber Tarptent Sublite
June 26, 4:18pm

All Reader Reviews by John McAlpine

Showing 1 - 3 of 3 | Page: 1

Review

Category

LightHeart Gear Cuben Solo W/Awning
I picked up this tent for several reasons. I wanted a light tent; I wanted it to be waterproof right out of the bag; I wanted room inside for me and all my gear; I wanted a dry entry; I wanted to use...

In Shelters - Double Wall Tents
October 18, 12:09pm

Kahtoola Microspikes Microspikes
I've been using these little brother crampons over the winter and have found them to be perfect. I've used them on non-glacier snow fields up to 12,200 feet and they have not failed once. The...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
August 02, 2:43pm

Osprey Exos 58
I'm 47 and been hiking on and off for 35 years. I've gone through many packs and thought it was time to try a lighter pack. Sure this pack isnt ultra light, but have you tried those things?....

In Backpacks - External Frame
July 16, 10:59am