BPL Community Profile

Greg F (GregF) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Canadian Rockies
About Me Greg F has not added a biography yet.
CityCalgary

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Greg F

Showing 151 - 160 of 573 | Page: 1 ...7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ...58

Forum » Thread

Rain shadow and rain
If you use the midpoint tieouts on the rainshadow it performs well in the rain. Without the midpoint tieouts the side panels sag in alot. Although with two people this would not be an issue like ...

In GEAR » Rainshadow 2 and "rain" vs. StratoSpire2
March 14, 3:11pm

Re: Summer in the Rockies
Couple of areas I see you can reduce weight Rain cover. This weighs 1/4 of the weight of your pack and water can stiil leak in through pack straps. I use a trash compactor bad inside of my pac...

In Gear Lists » Summer in the Rockies
March 13, 8:01pm

Re: Re: 3 person shelter
I had an RS2 but found it to small for 3 six foot tall 200lb guys. 3 smaller people would work well. It was just a bit to small to keep off the sides of the tent.

In GEAR » Three Person Shelter Question: Golite SL3 or TT Rainshadow 2? Others?
March 11, 6:12pm

Bring thin foam pad for backup
One option would be to bring a 1/4 inch thinlight or sulak type pad for both protection and small insulation value if you do get a leak. I think the Sulak ones are waterproof so can also serve as ...

In GEAR » Sleeping Pads - Inflatable or not?
March 11, 12:45pm

GoLite Shangri La 5
If you want super luxury for 5.5 lbs the GoLite Shagrila 5 might be the way to go. It is $300, 5.5lbs, good it the wind, easy to set up. Me at 6 feet tall can almost stand up in it to get dressed...

In GEAR » Recommendations for a 2 person light "palace " tent? Imogene ul3? Jack Rabbit SL3? Quarter Dome T2+?
March 11, 9:32am

Dont think its the pad
I disagree that the pad is the problem. The OP is camping above freezing with night time lows approaching 32. Not on or around snow. An R3 pad should be fine in these conditions. It's proba...

In GEAR » Thinking a downfilled jacket question
March 10, 2:44pm

Add more down
If you arent cold around camp I would get WM to add another 3 ounces of down to the megalite rather than a down jacket. That way you only add 3 oz of weight instead of 10 to get te warmth of 3 oz ...

In GEAR » Thinking a downfilled jacket question
March 10, 10:08am

Re: Re: Re: The "I don't get it" thread
Aaron, I think the reason is that Comfort UL is so easy these days. In no bear can zones you can go 10lbs and bring the kitchen sink (literally). So as tech has improved you can bring more stu...

In Philosophy & Technique » The "I don't get it" thread
March 09, 11:34pm

Get up early, mid day naps
Being further north dawn is about 5 am and dusk 9 or later so this leads to long hiking days. I find getting up right at dawn even slightly before will leave me tired when night comes. Usually t...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » backcountry insomnia
March 09, 10:55pm

Re: which pack would you recommend for PCT through hike?
For the bear can and high water portion I would look at an internal frame with stay in the 2lb range so GG mariposa ULA Circuit Zpacks Arc Blast Elemental Horizons Kalais with stay SMD swift...

In GEAR » which pack would you recommend for PCT through hike?
March 09, 8:03pm

All Reader Reviews by Greg F

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

WalMart
Walmart saved my trip. I was packing up the night before I was to leave and went to grab what i thought was a full butane canister and it was empty. It was 10pm and i was leaving at 5 the next morni...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
August 20, 7:27pm

Mont Bell Ultra-Light Spiral Down Hugger #3 Long
I had a chance to test out my new UL Spiral down hugger #3. This is the regular version not the super stretch. It still has the diagonal baffles so it does have a little more give than an average ba...

In Sleeping Bags - Mummy & Other
June 05, 11:33pm